Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 38S Open Problem

gerritm

,Had something new in my open journey happen Sunday in a local USPSA match. First stage about 10 rounds in gun locked up completely, slide open empty chamber. Slide would not budge, Holstered as best I could and went to safe area. Could barely moved the slide forward. Inspected the chamber and barrel, nothing obvious, empty. My buddy had a soft plastic faced hammer and by tapping and pushing the slide on the edge of the wood table got it to go completely forward and dropped the hammer. Still could see nothing obvious. My shooting buddy and 2011 guru got the slide to remove the stop and by tapping the barrel forward removed the slide. Again inspecting the upper and lower nothing obvious. After putting the slide on and off a couple of times we noticed the ejector was bent out slightly keeping the slide from moving. With a brass punch bent it back straight and could get the slide back on and function checked. Finished the match with my back up Glock. After match tested a full mag and it ran perfect. I am going to change the ejector. What would cause this. We all scratched out heads. Seems like all have seen broken ones not bent. About 3K rounds using 124gr PD at 8.5grs HS-6 at 1.23OAL.

It's certainly the first thing to look at.  The ejector runs in a rather narrow slot in the bottom of the slide, and it needs to be pretty much perfectly straight in order to not cause friction during the slide's rather violent movement back and forth.  I suppose it could be that it was pretty marginal after the last mag change and then just jammed up while the slide was running. 

Since the ejector is already bent, I would probably replace it first, (tuning it for length and tip profile, of course) and undercut it gradually with a file or Dremel in order to clear both the back of the top cartridge and the mag body, with the mag pushed all the way up as if during a reload.   Then run it for a while and see if the problem reappears. 

Since you said it was bent towards the outside of the slide, I'd also look for whatever else might have bent it in that direction, although I'm at a loss at the moment to figure out what that might have been. 

It depends...on whether the first one was done right, and whether the something in the ejector profile had to do with the malfunction. For me, I'd probably start from scratch .  There are several good threads that include ejector tuning (probably in General Gunsmithing and the 1911 and Open forums) that could be of help.  I learned to do mine that way (my Open gun came with a poorly tuned ejector that broke off the first time I slammed a mag in, and a non-tuned extractor.  Now they work fine.). 

77 views and no other ideas? I may have stumped the crowd.

Any chance the shell case may have broken while extracting and jammed bending it? I am using nickel cases and may have 2 or 3 loads on them.

gerritm

No one has ever bent or broken an ejector? No ideas? Wow, I know there are some of the smartest most experienced shooters here on BE. Surprised no other ideas. I will replace it and see what happens.

gerritm

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

No one has ever bent or broken an ejector? No ideas? Wow, I know there are some of the smartest most experienced shooters here on BE. Surprised no other ideas. I will replace it and see what happens.

gerritm

Unfortunately you're not the only DVC I've heard about this happening too. Club match this last weekend a buddies DVC 9 Major had the same thing happen with the slide locking up and it turned out to be the ejector was bent.

First I have heard, thank you good to know. It did not seem like it was very hard. I would think this part should be pretty tough due to the abuse. It did not take a lot of effort to tap it back into place. Hope the Dawson one is better.

gerritm

Easily bent and bent back. Replaced with one from Dawson and did a tune job on it based on the Brazos Custom instructions. Cut it high enough so the mag or first round will not hit even with a hard re-load. Ejects high and slightly behind. Ran a full match, about 200 rounds. Pretty happy, but did have 2 hit the bottom of the mount or top of the chamber and cause a stove pipe early in the match. Ran 3 stages after that with no issues. I have a Brazos pre-tuned one coming.

gerritm

Hello: Most ejectors get bent from doing a reload with the slide locked back and a mag change. You can radius the bottom of the ejector and disable the slide lock or follower so the slide will not lock back. Check the back of the mags to make sure they don't hit the ejector as well. Thanks, Eric

Mine bent while shooting. Bent outwards not up. Still not sure what caused it other it being a bad ejector. Checked all the mags when I tuned the new one and they are good to go. Radiused the new one to prevent this.

gerritm

This has happened to me and a friend. Called STI and they said they had some problems with some of the ejectors not getting properly hardened. What blows my mind is that we got our guns 6 months apart and both had the problem. WTF??? Throw those shitty ones away and put a new batch of ejectors in the guns.

36 minutes ago, Feegee Dean Matlock said:

This has happened to me and a friend. Called STI and they said they had some problems with some of the ejectors not getting properly hardened. What blows my mind is that we got our guns 6 months apart and both had the problem. WTF??? Throw those shitty ones away and put a new batch of ejectors in the guns.

You would think that would be the first thing they would do if they know they have a problem.

gerritm