Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 226 Metal Magazine Extension Guide/Review

Crispin1025

Friends,

Wanted to share some of my own findings with you regarding Sig magazine extensions. Right now, the three non-Sig metal extensions that I am aware of are Apex, Taylor Freelance, and TRT, also pictured is the Sig 20 round SWAT German magazine.

All of the magazine extensions have been mounted on MecGar 20 round magazines. These are slightly longer and allow proper fitting, especially if using the TRT Maxwell. The Taylor Freelance for sure will not work on a regular Sig magazine; it will not seat. 

IMG_1291.jpg

Starting from the right, with the red TRT baseplate, we have a aluminum +2 that more or less serves as a replacement for the factory plastic +2 found on MecGar/Sig Magazines. It is an anodized finish, mine have held up well enough over the last two years. My batch was milled slightly too deep, so I had to shim it for them to be retained properly. They do work 100% with the TRT Magwell. One nice thing about these is they are very easy to remove, as the use the same retainer as the factory plastic +2 currently available.

IMG_1292.jpg

Edited by Crispin1025

Next up is the Taylor Freelance, second from the right. It again serves its purpose, but is definitely the least refined of the three, including a rather unsightly screw retention on the rear. Overall, it works, but is overkill for no purpose. These WILL NOT seat in the TRT magwell. If you look in the picture, it has an excessive amount of material on the front which fully prevents it working with the magwell in place. Pictured for comparison is the Apex extension, Apex on the left, Taylor Freelance on the right.

IMG_1295.jpg

Edited by Crispin1025

Last is the Apex extension. So-these are marketed as a +3 .40 cal extension, DON'T BE FOOLED. I purchased them on a whim to try them, checked the interior dimensions, mounting dimensions, etc. with my micrometer and they are a 100% fit for 9mm. They will add +5, giving 23 rounds reloadable in my magazines. They are retained with a small allen that fits in the rear of the extension, and will work with the TRT magwell.

IMG_1293.jpg

Last, as a note, is the Sig 20 round german SWAT magazine. Since I already have brought up the TRT Maxwell a bunch of times, I wanted to mention that this magazine will not work with it. The metal flange on the rear prevents it from seating correctly unless you file/machine off part of your magwell. Shown is the flange for reference for those that may not be familiar.

IMG_1297.jpg

Edited by Crispin1025

7 hours ago, Crispin1025 said:

Last is the Apex extension. So-these are marketed as a +3 .40 cal extension, DON'T BE FOOLED. I purchased them on a whim to try them, checked the interior dimensions, mounting dimensions, etc. with my micrometer and they are a 100% fit for 9mm. They will add +5, giving 23 rounds reloadable in my magazines. They are retained with a small allen that fits in the rear of the extension, and will work with the TRT magwell.

IMG_1293.jpg

Running short on time this morning. So could you post a link to this exact basepad please. Good info!

Thanks

This magazine is IPSC legal. Which means it is actually a touch over 1.5mm shorter than maximum USPSA legal length. And it runs 100% at 29 +1 using a SIG SCT follower witht he stop tabs cut down and will run 30 +1 with the CZ Custom follower.

open_mag.jpg

3 hours ago, staudacher said:

This magazine is IPSC legal. Which means it is actually a touch over 1.5mm shorter than maximum USPSA legal length. And it runs 100% at 29 +1 using a SIG SCT follower witht he stop tabs cut down and will run 30 +1 with the CZ Custom follower.

open_mag.jpg

What mag is that? 

The basepads Crispin1025 do work very nice. 

Thanks Crispin! 

I'll have to look at the followers. 

Thanks!

19 hours ago, staudacher said:

open_mag.jpg

How reliable is it with the CZ follower, and are you running a CZ spring as well?

2 hours ago, Crispin1025 said:

How reliable is it with the CZ follower, and are you running a CZ spring as well?

So far I haven't had any problem I've been running it with a Taylor freelance spring that is actually for a Glock limited magazine and I'm going to try Bolen spring as well

On 10/7/2016 at 3:32 PM, Crispin1025 said:

Understood, please let us know what you find!

Just an FYI I probably won't be doing any extra work with the open magazine for some time. I have too many other projects on my plate and since I can run 29+1 at so far 100% reliability the magazine isn't a high priority item.