Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Range Officer Champion Problem

egldriver

So I have a relatively new range officer champion 9mm (4' bull barrel). I like the RO's (have two others .45 and 9mm) but this one is giving me some problems. When I first got it I had a lot of jams so I sent it to Springfield. Came back with a polished ramp and a flat wire recoil spring assembly (not stock so they upgraded it). It runs 100% now. However, the accuracy is not up to par. I have loaded 115, 124, 147 with some variations in velocity and powder loads, of them all the 115's are the best but still not what I would call good. I know accuracy is relative, but this thing seems to have large groups with inconstant flyers even off sand bags. Sometimes it will group well and then have a round go 6-8" away from the group (at 15 yards). I had another shooter try it off bags and he had the same results. We tried his ammo that resulted in a ragged hole off sandbags at 15 yards with his 5" Range Officer (we both shot it), mine still scattered that ammo. The gun has an excellent slide to frame fit, very solid lockup and no barrel movement when in battery. I don't see any obvious crown damage or anything inside the slide or frame that shows abnormal rubbing. Sights are solid. That's about all I know to look for. Any ideas as to what else to look at?

I would like to shoot IDPA with it but have no confidence in it. I get it that most of the time its the indian not arrow, but based on how I shoot with my other guns I don't think that is the case here.

I've had 2 RO in 45 and 9 and had exactly the same problem. Never could get either one to shoot any good groups. Sighted in a resighted several times with no luck. Sent 45 back to Springfield and was told nothing wrong. Still crap groups. Gave up on both and sold both for the price of one and told buddy who bought them the issues. Said he didn't mind cause he shoots like shit anyway lol. After a while we were at the range and I tried them out again and was still shitty. I scratch my head to what is wrong but Springfield says nothing wrong. 

That's not good. My other two are good shooters. Maybe the barrel is bad, somehow, because the mechanics of the gun are strong from what I know of a good 1911 fit.

I hesitate to send it back to SA again because they have already repaired it, shot it, and declared it good.

I'd send it back and have SA look at it. It's on their dime so it won't cost you anything but time. My wife's 9mm RO is almost as accurate as my full custom.

I assume you've verified your sights aren't moving. Simple but my wife's EMP had me scratching my head before I thought to check for something simple and found that the rear sight was loose.

After trying everything included loose rear sight that's what I thought at first also but to no avail. Sending back to SA didn't do anything because they said it was good to go. Fit and finish were great but just couldn't get them to shoot straight. One thing I did come to find out was both were built within the same month and I asked SA if others were bad during that time but they didn't know. So they were sold and replaced by 2 Sti Trojan of same calibers and never been more happy with the performance of the Sti. To this day I run the 45 in single stack in uspsa matches when not running limited.