Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning all over again

AzShooter

Today was a good day at the range.   Loaded up for my  929 and my Model 617 so I  had about 500 rounds with me.

I've been having confidence problems and was slowing down to try to make up for my mistakes.   Today my goal was to start shooting FAST again. 

I started with 12inch circles at 15 yards.  I know, these should be impossible to miss.  By using the large target I took the fear of accurate shooting off my mine and was able to work on speed.  My hits kept getting tighter through out the session.  I was coming straight through the trigger without my normal delay at the end to verify my sight picture.. I already knew my sights would be on with such a big target.  I forced the sights to the center of the target and made sure I followed through.  That was one of my past mistakes, forgetting to concentrate until the shot broke clean.  I was giving up within the last second and just spraying lead down range. 

The shot is not over when you pull the trigger, but after I've followed through and confirmed my hit while calling the shot.  Not visually confirming it but feeling it was a good hit.  After shooting a wave or two I'd  take out my binoculars and verify I was getting good hits and not missing the targets.

This would have been even better had I been shooting steel.

After abut 100 rounds I started getting my confidence back.   Groups started to stay about 4 inches at 15 yards and a good pace for me. 

I then tried transitioning between two targets and then three targets shooting with my new speed and not missing.   I changed my mind set to believe I could make the shots like I use to do.  Now I can't wait for the next match to prove my old skills are back.