Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Funny Names

Tman33_99

Ok, last one! How do you pronounce "La-a"? The lady got really upset when it was pronounce "La-ahhhh" (trying to be sensitive.) "No you fool!", was the responce, "It's La dasha!!!!!"

Seriously.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I did it the right way.

Wife picked the first name, I picked the middle.

Cora (she liked the name) Zeta (Catehrine Zeta Jones was a serious hottie way back when) MXXXXX

CZ for her initials. Took a couple of years for the wife to catch on.

Next child I was banned from the naming department, but that does not mean I did not win out.

Samantha Ann (my mums middle name) MXXXXX, initials SAM.

My Brother tried something similar and screwed it up Jessica Ann, JAM. she will get shjt at school.

while in the service I worked with a few 1 was charles charles we called him chuck squared

but the best was a Ssgt I worked with his first name was major. so when he would call someone he would say this major smith and all you would here was yes sir from the other end

Met a kid named Sage Brush.

Test drove an Impala and, Dick, the salesman gave me his business card. I about drove off the road when I called him a few minutes latter. His last name was Ring.

There was a guy in an town I used to live in who had a computer business. He had commercials on T.V., his name was Ben Dover. You knew when one of his commercials came on T.V., they were the funniest commercials ever. All he had to do was say his name!

Oh no,,, you can't top this one,

One of my Bosses in the Army was named, SGT Lipps, great guy, I liked working for him,

I was at his house one evening, and his wife did not call him by his last name, as we Army folks always do,,

She called him Peet,, after a few times,, and when his wife left the room I asked him, What is your First name?

"Peter Lipps" !!!!!!! You have to be kidding!!! All I could say was did your patents hate you? Then he told me his Brothers name,

"Dick Lipps"

How they ever survived JR High School, I will never know.

And the daughter was called.....?surprise.gif

My granddaughter was named Catherine Cocaine McCl*** by my stepson and his dipsy (now ex) wife. We tried to block this, but they appealed to the Births Registrar (New Zealand has laws to block REALLY silly names) that it was the name of a song, and it was eventually allowed. The girl is now 13, and wonders what her parents were on at the time -- and no, they couldn't have afforded any. She can change her name once she is 16, but her passport will always show the original. I just hope she doesn't have to travel internationally.

As Einstein said -- there are two things that are limitless -- the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Years ago I used to review a dozens of resumes every day at work... and we hired some folks with some really interesting names.

The best one was:

Sum Phat Ho (properly pronounced SOOM FOUGHT HOE but looks like SOME FAT HO)

He went by "Sam".

... followed closely by:

Phuc Nguyen Tran (pronounced FOOK NWIN TRAN)

aka Phuc N. Tran. (FOOK N. TRAN but looks like... well, you get the idea)

He went by "Phil".

And then there was Ramashandran Narayanasami. (Raw-maw-SHAWN-DRAWN Naw-raw-yawn-ah-SAW-ME)

I asked him what the short version of his name was. He replied: "That is the short version." :blink: This dude had a great sense of humor.

He initially decided to go by "Ram" to make it easy on us. Later, his friends used to jokingly call him "alphabet soup" and "rama-lama-ding-dong" :lol:

When I was in the Marine Corps stationed at Pearl Harbor there was an E-3 in the Navy that worked on base with the last name of Sample (for those of you without military experience that would make him Seaman Sample). Not sure why he chose the Navy, as he would have been fine in any other branch. I was always on the lookout but never met a Pvt. Parts... :cheers:

Also:

My wife is a pediatrician in the Bronx and took care of a sister and brother named Ya' Highness and Ya' Majesty. I don't remember what the last name was.

And lastly, when I was doing my medicine internship in lower Manhattan, I met a woman who named her kid after the truck she saw out her window from her hospital room each day. It was pronounced "oos-male" but spelled USMail. :P

As a kid I went to camp with Richard Cox. Prior to our caring intervention he did not go by Dick, Saw him years later and folks still called him Dick. That's when we found out he was a Jr. so of course we call him Little Dick Cox from there on out.

I work in lots of schools so I see thousands of kids names a years. The, to put it politely, creativity never ceases to amaze me. Some of my favorites have been:

(brothers) Orangejello and Lemonjello

The mother was upset when there names were mispronouced. She rudely told us they are Oh-rahn-ja-lo and le-mahn-ja-lo

Eyesofgod - This one is not so terrible, just a little awkward when you first read it.

Heap of Birds - A last name. This kid had a great sense of humor. He said "Why couldn't I have had a cool name like running dear or tall bear. But noooo my family is named after a pile of dead birds."

There have been many weird names but the one that takes the cake:

Shithead

I can't make this one up. It is pronouced "Shah-thade" This mother was livid that, when faced with seeing her child's name in print, we were a little hesitant and not sure how to pronounce it.

As a kid I went to camp with Richard Cox. Prior to our caring intervention he did not go by Dick, Saw him years later and folks still called him Dick. That's when we found out he was a Jr. so of course we call him Little Dick Cox from there on out.

I work in lots of schools so I see thousands of kids names a years. The, to put it politely, creativity never ceases to amaze me. Some of my favorites have been:

(brothers) Orangejello and Lemonjello

The mother was upset when there names were mispronouced. She rudely told us they are Oh-rahn-ja-lo and le-mahn-ja-lo

Eyesofgod - This one is not so terrible, just a little awkward when you first read it.

Heap of Birds - A last name. This kid had a great sense of humor. He said "Why couldn't I have had a cool name like running dear or tall bear. But noooo my family is named after a pile of dead birds."

There have been many weird names but the one that takes the cake:

Shithead

I can't make this one up. It is pronouced "Shah-thade" This mother was livid that, when faced with seeing her child's name in print, we were a little hesitant and not sure how to pronounce it.

I heard that the Arabic name "Shithead" often becomes an alias for kids once they become teens. I also heard that most parents struggle with proper pronunciation.

Here in Michigan we have a shooter named Richard Gorges......so yes, he goes by Dick Gorges even in the business world. The funny part is that when shooters are listed at most match's, their last name is first.........it is great to watch people look at his listing last name first.......Gorges Dick...........and yes he has the personality to take the ribbing and give it right back. Could be because he was a Navy Frogman and participated in the Southeast Asian Games back in the 60's.....and lived.

I went to school with a a Lucy Rudica who married another classmate named Mike Lucey. So now she is Lucy Lucey. Yes, we all felt bad as this was during the time that Married with Children was on and the Marcy Darcy character was around.

The worst was a girl I went to college with. Her name was Crystal Lear. The joke was that her middle name was Shanda. So of course eveyone just started calling her Shanda from then on.

Just found this but figured I'd chime in. My mom and her sister have interesting names. Their brothers are Sam, charles, Jim, ect...

My mom is Delphia (Del-PHI-aa) and her older sister is Zelda (just like the game).

Edited by JJH

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, last one! How do you pronounce "La-a"? The lady got really upset when it was pronounce "La-ahhhh" (trying to be sensitive.) "No you fool!", was the responce, "It's La dasha!!!!!"

Seriously.

Funny- I was at a friend's house last week, and he was telling me about this. Seems we might know some of the same people.

We have an auditor that comes in periodically named Dick Bluit, and my sister went to school with a girl named April May June.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...