Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On my way to A...

superluckycat

Took off work early yesterday and got in some live fire practice.

I'm starting to have glimmers of shot calling.  I called a few non A hits yesterday.

Transitions have definitely improved.  10 yd Blake Drills average 2.6s with some C's.

Bill Drills at 2.15 s with the occasional C.  Need to work on trigger speed and indirectly SH tension.

4 Aces still giving me fits.  It's a hand tension thing that causes me to botch hitting the mag release.

Lots of shooting on the move in all directions yesterday at 10-15 yards.   Got pretty good consistent hits.  Been hitting this hard in dry fire also.

Finished up with 20 yard doubles with a 2.0 s par time.  About 50/50 A's and C's.

Pretty good practice.  Had a good mindset and didn't let mistakes piss me off.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First DQ today.  Broke 180 while reloading on right to left movement.  Oh well, now I have that out of the way.

I was having a good day too.  The classifier was Riverdale Standards and my hit factor of 4.28 would have put me at 26 out of 75 shooters.

I finished the day with a good attitude and it was a good learning experience.

The learning experience was:  Don't do that again stupid!

Edited by superluckycat

Sitting at 59.88% after 5 classifiers if I throw out the low one.  Need one more good one to make B for my initial classification and that will be 2016 goal accomplished.  Hopefully the nice weather stays around for two more weeks.

Still dry firing every weekday morning for an hour.  Been concentrating on field course skills lately since I'm slow as hell.

Oh yeah, last match I called a D hit on a swinger and made it up for 2A's.  That's progress.

Edited by superluckycat

Live fire practice yesterday.

Call me 8 point Pete on 15+ yard doubles.  Times are good but I shoot a C and an A like clockwork.

Shot one 25 yard Bill Drill and did it clean in 4.30 seconds.  I quit on that high point.

7 yard Bill Drills 2.10-2.20 secs.

Shot a couple of El Prez's both had hit factors around 7.5.

My Blake drill still really needs work.  I average around 2.8 but way too many C's with the occasional D and even a couple mikes yesterday.

To guarantee mostly A's I have to slow it down to 3.00 secs.

Things I noticed:  My weak hand is chasing my strong so I'm not establishing a good WH grip.  I grip too hard with SH and not enough with WH. 

This morning's dry fire consisted of:

Wall Drill and Slow Fire Trigger to warm up.

10 mins of draws to establish a good WH grip.

20 mins of Blake Drills starting at 2.80s and progressing down to 1.8s.  Concentrating on form and seeing A's.

15 mins of 7 yard 4 Aces.  I can do Burketts in .7 with no problem.  It's when you string together draws aiming etc that things get messy.  Going to concentrate on these for my reload drills so I can get gooder.

Mental game needs work.  Just need to relax and shoot A's.  Wait for the sight picture.  Shooting more matches will help.

I think one of the biggest differences between a C shooter and an A is visual patience.

The difference in times between shooting an array when your sights say "A zone hit," and just pulling the trigger fast while trying to muscle them somewhere near center of brown, is only a few tenths.

There's no legitimate reason to shoot without an acceptable sight picture, yet we are all guilty of doing it often.

A speed focus is your greatest enemy when it comes to being able to actually shoot fast.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I think one of the biggest differences between a C shooter and an A is visual patience.

The difference in times between shooting an array when your sights say "A zone hit," and just pulling the trigger fast while trying to muscle them somewhere near center of brown, is only a few tenths.

There's no legitimate reason to shoot without an acceptable sight picture, yet we are all guilty of doing it often.

A speed focus is your greatest enemy when it comes to being able to actually shoot fast.

Truth.  Rushing screws me every time. I can remember shooting targets in some my earlier matches and not recalling even seeing the sights.

Well doesn't look like I'll make B.  Sitting at 59.88%.  I hosed the classifier yesterday.  It was the first run of the day and it was COLD.  Couldn't make my hands work.  Stood there trying to hit the mag release like an idiot.  Points sucked too.  Worst I've shot El Prez in months.

Anyway not too upset about it because my field course skills are coming together now.  Except for the classifier and one stage where I forgot a reload, went to slide lock on a steel array then panicked, I shot pretty good.

6 out of 16 in Production, 1 mike.  Much more comfortable shooting on the move and I'm learning to trust my sights.  69% of the top Production shooter, a Master.

Capture.PNG

Start looking at those deltas like they are mikes. I know the difference in the way I look at Ds now is entirely different than when I started and it makes a huge difference especially with minor.

Think of it this way... 4 deltas is down 16 points. A mike is 15 (no hit+pen). I hate Ds nearly as much as Mikes. 2 Ds is nearly a no shoot penalty.

Ugh, what a morning.  Had no energy and couldn't do anything right,  Lazy draws, lazy reloads.

I think I hit it a little too hard at the gym yesterday.

I may cut the dry fire back to 3 days a week for a while.  I've been hitting it hard for 7 months straight 

Edited by superluckycat

After taking it easy on the dry fire since my last post I'm back it again.

Had good sessions today and yesterday.

I just started at the beginning of Stoeger's dry fire book and am working my way through it.  Picking up where I left off the day before.

At this point I may just stick with the Glock instead of switching to the Stock 2.  We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Been dry firing M-F for about 45 mins before work.  Taking weekends off from dry fire and trying to get a live fire in on Sundays.

Still working my way through Stoeger's book.  I'm spending a longer time on each drill now instead of trying to go for quantity.

This morning I did:  Hard Exit w/ & w/o a reload, Quck Step, Port Entry and finished up with 4 Aces to work reloads.

Plugging away and putting in the work.

7 hours ago, superluckycat said:

Been dry firing M-F for about 45 mins before work.  Taking weekends off from dry fire and trying to get a live fire in on Sundays.

Still working my way through Stoeger's book.  I'm spending a longer time on each drill now instead of trying to go for quantity.

This morning I did:  Hard Exit w/ & w/o a reload, Quck Step, Port Entry and finished up with 4 Aces to work reloads.

Plugging away and putting in the work.

Are you seeing improvements in your dry fire sight picture and mechanics? I know I have made live fire improvements whenever I am twice as hard on myself in dry fire. Sight picture, trigger pull, called shots, etc. it can be very easy to let yourself "cheat" because you don't have hits to make you mad at yourself if not all As.

Everything is improving just much more slowly now.  My draw/reload/transition times haven't improved much lately but the mechanics and repeatability have. 

I don't let myself cheat to hit a par time unless I'm going purely for speed.

Been dry firing for almost 9 months straight now.  Should be making GM any day now like Stoeger and Anderson. 

Live fire practice today.  Did a lot of 25 yard shooting.

Average of fourteen 25 yard doubles:  2.25s 7.5 points

Average of eight 25 yard Bill Drills:  4.12s  24 points.  Best was 3.76s for 30 points. All in within about 6 inches.

Average of five Blake Drills:  2.51s  24.4 points

7 yard Bill Drill best:  2.02s 30 points.  Got one in 1.98s but only hit 24 points.

El Prez:  That sucking sound you heard was me.  Still having trouble hitting the mag release.

Ran some close range doubles from 3-7 yards.  Getting my first shot off under a second pretty consistently now.

The Good:  My 25 yard shooting is improving.  My transitions are getting faster.  I am pleased with the 2.5s Blake average time.

The Bad:  My reloads still suck baaad.  I need to work on more live fire reloads.  My dry fire reload skills just don't seem to transferring over to live fire like say, transitions.  My El Prez seems to be getting worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Got in four days of dry fire last week.  Friday I did a full 45 minutes of nothing but reloads.

Getting pretty chilly out in the dry fire garage, about 45 on cold mornings.  Been too cold for live fire or matches.  

I'm concentrating on physical training this winter.  While I hit the weights consistently my cardio has been lacking.  Started doing my boxing workout a couple times a week and a trail walk with the wife on Sunday mornings.

On 10/24/2016 at 0:09 PM, superluckycat said:

Finally ran the Stock II through a practice session on Sunday.  Had at least 20 light primer strikes with my reloads and Geco 124 grain ammo.  The Glock came back out until I have time to go through the Tanfo this winter.

In the few uninterrupted strings I shot, the DA isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Warmed up with the Dot Torture drill and all the DA shots were good except for SHO which is another story.

All my times were slower with the Stock II which is understandable I guess.

Aside from the gun tweaking, you can probably get it to run with Federal primers. They are generally the easiest to ignite. Popular with revo guys or striker guns with lightened triggers.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, fastluck13 said:

Aside from the gun tweaking, you can probably get it to run with Federal primers. They are generally the easiest to ignite. Popular with revo guys or striker guns with lightened triggers.

Unfortunately those things are unobtanium. I'm willing to put up with a heavier trigger if my gun will eat CCI and S&B primers.  Hell I'm coming from a Glock.

Just sent the barrel off to Beven to get reamed.  Gonna start there.

Spent 30 minutes this morning doing nothing but El Prez.  I hate that drill.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:21 AM, superluckycat said:

Well doesn't look like I'll make B.  Sitting at 59.88%.  I hosed the classifier yesterday.  It was the first run of the day and it was COLD.  Couldn't make my hands work.  Stood there trying to hit the mag release like an idiot.  Points sucked too.  Worst I've shot El Prez in months.

Anyway not too upset about it because my field course skills are coming together now.  Except for the classifier and one stage where I forgot a reload, went to slide lock on a steel array then panicked, I shot pretty good.

6 out of 16 in Production, 1 mike.  Much more comfortable shooting on the move and I'm learning to trust my sights.  69% of the top Production shooter, a Master.

Capture.PNG

Hate to say this because you are well on your way to spanking my butt and then watching me fade in the rear view, but I was 5 in production that day & it looks like we both hit the same matches with some regularity, so, if you think some video clips of your runs might be useful do not be afraid to ask me to hold your cell phone. 

In order for this to happen you would need to let me shoot a magazine's worth of ammo through the Tanfo. 

OH - MITTENS . They may look stupid, ok, they do look stupid,  but if you put them on from in the hole to shooter ready they really help. 

You'll get it to run with CCI's, I'd guarantee it. Mine runs them w/ stock internals, only changes are a mild polish, PD 13lb hammer spring & Xtreme light firing pin spring.  I'd be happy to help answer any questions on the Tanfo, but posting in the subforum will get help from the gurus.

Oh also getting the barrel reamed may just take care of it. Received my barrel back from Grams last night, the last 2-3mm of the chamber was opened up by his reamer, which was surprising. My round now are stupid easy to plunk and spin, before they'd plunk but had a little difficulty spinning.

One thing to note about Anderson and his time to reach GM, he spent almost an hour per day, 7 days a week doing dryfire. Not many of use can devote that time or stick to that rigorous of a schedule. Keep your head up, you will get there!

Edited by SCTaylor

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hate to say this because you are well on your way to spanking my butt and then watching me fade in the rear view, but I was 5 in production that day & it looks like we both hit the same matches with some regularity, so, if you think some video clips of your runs might be useful do not be afraid to ask me to hold your cell phone. 

In order for this to happen you would need to let me shoot a magazine's worth of ammo through the Tanfo. 

OH - MITTENS . They may look stupid, ok, they do look stupid,  but if you put them on from in the hole to shooter ready they really help. 

We were on the same squad.  I believe you have a JJ on your range bag if I'm not mistaken.  It's a deal on the filming for Tanfo trigger time.  I'll see you at the next SCCC or SCGC match.

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

You'll get it to run with CCI's, I'd guarantee it. Mine runs them w/ stock internals, only changes are a mild polish, PD 13lb hammer spring & Xtreme light firing pin spring.  I'd be happy to help answer any questions on the Tanfo, but posting in the subforum will get help from the gurus.

Oh also getting the barrel reamed may just take care of it. Received my barrel back from Grams last night, the last 2-3mm of the chamber was opened up by his reamer, which was surprising. My round now are stupid easy to plunk and spin, before they'd plunk but had a little difficulty spinning.

One thing to note about Anderson and his time to reach GM, he spent almost an hour per day, 7 days a week doing dryfire. Not many of use can devote that time or stick to that rigorous of a schedule. Keep your head up, you will get there!

I lurk on the Tanfo forum frequently.  Once I tear it down I'm sure I'll have some questions.  I purchased it used and it already had a trigger job but the seller was unsure of exact components.  From the extra parts bag I know it has a Titan hammer, some kind of sear and FPB and aftermarket recoil, hammer, trigger and firing pin springs. 

Thanks for the offer of help and the encouragement.  My bitching post about Stoeger and Anderson was really in jest.  I'm fairly pleased with my progress.  Just need to work on reloads, transitions, draws, position entry/exit, shot calling and movement and I'll be there! :lol:

Live fire practice on Wednesday.  I was lazy and wanted all my brass to fall in one spot.  Hence all the 10 yard shooting.

10yd doubles: 1.50s mostly A's

10yd Blake:  Around 2.65s for decent points.  Go faster and the points drop.

10yd Blake Singles:  2.00s  all A's

10yd 4 Aces:  3.8s average points were around 18 average.

10yd Blake SHO:  5.00s average points kind of sucked

10yd Blake WHO:  5.20s for 26 points

10yd Bill Drill:  2.35s average but points sucked around 22 average.

10yd Heads:  5.00s  22 points average

Then I did some position entry and exit.  Draw fire on one target at 10yds move laterally about 10 yards and engage 2 targets.  One at 7 and one at 10.

Observations:

I shoot WHO better than SHO. 

Need to work on head shots.

I need to slow down on Bill Drills farther than 7 yards.  I got one speed: too fast.

Edited by superluckycat

Dry fired this morning for the first time since last Thursday.  Went back to basics with the Stock II since I decided to keep it.  Did some Wall Drill, Slow Fire Trigger, Trigger at Speed, Draws and Reloads.

Should have my barrel back from Bevin today.  Also ordered the PD firing pin and a bunch of springs.  It already has aftermarket springs but I don't know the manufacturer or weights.  This way I'll at least know what's in the gun and have a starting point.

Got a big tub of Blue Magic so the polishing Olympics can commence after the New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation and been running through Stoeger's Learning Drills every morning with the Stock 2 to get used to it.  Not too bad really.  Times are coming down and I'm starting to like it.

Hardest thing for me is not releasing the trigger all the way for follow up shots after the first DA pull.

Went through the top end of the Stock 2. Polished everything up and installed a PD firing pin and spring.  It already had an extended FPB and some sort of aftermarket FP.  I'll tackle the frame next.