Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History of the rules?

IHAVEGAS

I don't know that there's one "the one....."

I'm aware of a significant -- dare I say major? -- rewriting of the rules for the 2008 USPSA Handgun Competition Rules -- after we negotiated running both IPSC matches (under IPSC rules) and USPSA matches (under USPSA rules) in the United States.  That rewriting was largely drafted and/or completed by John Amidon and George Jones.  John was DNROI at the time, and George was serving in his final term as the Area 8 Director.  The BOD signed off -- and I'm imagining they must have provided some input as well, but a former board member might better be able to weigh in.

Prior to that we had been using the current version of the IPSC rules, USPSA version -- which basically meant that as you were reading a rule in the rulebook it might be immediately followed by the US rule of the same number -- which took precedence over the IPSC version.  Complicated and occasionally confusing.  Those earlier rulebooks also had appendices for the IPSC divisions and then the US divisions.

From 2008 to ~ 2014, we lived with the 08 rules, and amendments.  I vaguely remember a ~ 2012 version of the 2014 rules, that incorporated some of the amendments?  (Yep -- found it: USPSA Handgun Competition Rules, January 2008, with Board of Directors Approved Amendments through July 2010).

For 2014 most of those amendments were incorporated into the rulebook, and a few other things changed -- I don't know who authored the last two versions.  

53 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

More than I knew, thanks. 

i wonder if there is still sort of a tie to Ipsc when anything new is considered.

I'm just presuming here, but since USPSA is part of IPSC, I'd think consideration of IPSC would be a part of the process. (at least to the point of not making a new rule that pisses the IPSC guys off;), Vince, are you out there?:P)

When I was on the rules committee we looked at all  information we had available to us. We had numerous meetings, discussions, and bouncing ideas off each other. 

All of .this was an attempt to provide the best rule book we could. Rules will always need to be reviewed and modified since none of us can predict every possible scenario that might happen.

Edited by Gary Stevens

On 9/30/2016 at 8:38 AM, Gary Stevens said:

Rules will always need to be reviewed and modified since none of us can predict every possible scenario that might happen.

Seems reasonable, & it seems like we have pretty good rules.

If I am reading between the lines correctly their is either a standing rules committee or one which is formed at need, and the members are either appointed or somehow voted in by some subgroup of USPSA ?

24 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Seems reasonable, & it seems like we have pretty good rules.

If I am reading between the lines correctly their is either a standing rules committee or one which is formed at need, and the members are either appointed or somehow voted in by some subgroup of USPSA ?

Standing committee appointed by the President from members of the BOD.

This obviously includes DNROI who draws input from others such as RMI's and RM's as needed.

Edited by Gary Stevens