Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 - update & question

OldJohn

1)  I posted a few weeks back because I could NOT get my new 1301T re-assembled.  Beretta CS was bordering on useless - as I have heard since.  Thanks to all who posted suggestions, though none worked.  As I may have already posted - the final solution was brute force.  That, and finally firing it was the answer.  Guess the original tolerances were a bit tight:)  Shoots fine - though that is one SOB when it comes to firing 00 buck and slugs!!!!  You certainly pay a price for the light weight and quick handling.

2)  Q1 - looking for a good FO front sight.  I'm in my 7th decade, and the factory sight just doesn't do it for my eyes.

3)  Q2 - Regarding the recoil with tactical loads - is the current preference going towards Limbsaver or Kick Eez?  Not really concerned with the pad longevity - simply want recoil reduction for these old shoulders:)  I know the KE is KZ-109.  Is there a specific number for the LS non-grind version - haven't found one yet.

Thanks!

OldJohn

Several have mentioned the HIVIZ and others TRUGLO for fiberoptic sights.

At 66 years old I put a Beretta Kick Off system inside the stock of my 1301 Comp last spring. It puts two parallel shock absorbers between the stock and the butt pad. Never owned a shotgun before, but this was and is very tolerable. It added about 0.75" to length of pull which was okay, since I'm 6'1".

Kick off system Xtrema2 ($359, C87927) from Brownells but only $250 from Beretta. However, I don't see that model # on the Beretta website today and it's out of stock at Brownells.

If interested you may need to contact Beretta Customer Support. I found their response to emailed questions unpredictable, ranging from near immediate on my first two contacts, to over two weeks more recently. Therefore, I switched to telephoning them instead with good result.

Very glad to hear your 1301 is working.  A friend and I each bought a 1301 for 3-Gun.  His ran perfectly out of the box but mine needed a box of 1300 fps shells before it would run with the lighter 1150's we use for most 3-Gun targets. I don't keep very good round-count records but mine has several hundred flawless rounds since that first day with minimal cleaning but fresh oiling for each outing. Yours is a new high in tight tolerances!

16 hours ago, Eagle4 said:

Hi, i have this FO sight on my 1301 -> http://www.hivizsights.com/product/pm2003/

;)

I'm assuming you have the comp, as that looks like it won't fit the Tac model?

FWIW - just heard back from TRUGLO and they also have no plans for a Beretta 1301 T front sight either.

Guess it's not worth the effort for a low volume (for now) shotgun?

OldJohn

Old John you made reference to aging shoulders, how's your Vision?

Have you considered a red dot mounted on that short Picatinny rail?

They are more expensive, particularly one that will stand up to the sharp recoil of a shotgun.

I have one on an old AR, and am considering one of the smaller ones on my Glock 35 with backup suppressor sights.

9 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Old John you made reference to aging shoulders, how's your Vision?

Have you considered a red dot mounted on that short Picatinny rail?

They are more expensive, particularly one that will stand up to the sharp recoil of a shotgun.

I have one on an old AR, and am considering one of the smaller ones on my Glock 35 with backup suppressor sights.

Yes - that is on the table.  I have an Aimpoint on my 6920 carbine - and love it.  Will likely happen after tax refunds are back:)  Till then - looking for a brighter front sight post.  I think that even though it has been out for several years in one form or another, there isn't the following for the 1301 T, and manufacturers aren't willing to gear up for it.  I'm currently awaiting a Kick Eez to hopefully mitigate the buck & slug recoil a bit:)

OldJohn

I would lean toward the Trijicon dual illuminated for a tactical shotgun with the automatic "on" tritium at night and the fiber optic to vary brightness for the daytime sunlight. Looking to put one on my home defense Glock when the budget allows. Simply cannot see the front sight anymore unless wearing shooting glasses, with my right eye corrected to about 24 to 28 inches for front sights of pistols and long guns. When that front sight is in focus the rear is very blurred. 

Be sure to give us your impression of the Kick Eez once in use.

Consider removing your front sight to determine the screw size and threads. It is likely metric (Beretta made in Italy) and may well be compatible with regular aftermarket products. The TRUGLO sights I put on my 1301 Comp came with several different thread sizes in the package.

It is. I had to pull mine apart because it was crooked. You would have to find a sight that has a short base to fit between the ribs of the base and get a much longer countersunk screw. Then hope that you have enough elevation adjustment in the rear sight because it will sit a lot lower than the factory sight. 

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/shotgun-night-sights-prod6847.aspx

If I copied the link correctly, the Meprolight front sight 34301 (part of a pair, unfortunately) looks amazingly like the 1301T Beretta front sight - and it is a replacement for a Benelli kissing cousin!  I'm waiting for a return email from Meprolight to see if it is, in fact, interchangeable.  The rear does not appear compatible. 

Will post again once I hear from them.

OldJohn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...