Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 small primer

biglou13

A friend has a stash of small primer .45 brass....   I like the idea of not changing primer bar and tube.    

I've not tested any nor ever shot any.....

is there any change in load data due to small primer?

or are there any other issues loading/ shooting small primer . 45

I have heard a few guys say they have no issue at all.  I might be a bit leery of taking it to a match to meet power factory but for practice I wouldn't hesitate.  It can't be that bad or there wouldn't be so many manufacturers using it.  I have actually thought of doing the same thing to save myself changing the primer set up.  Check it on a chrono I'd like to hear the results.  Also maybe try small magnum primers, might provide the oomph lost to the small primer if any.

That is all I use - Federal small primer .45 and Tula SRPs.  Never any problems and shoots same as using Federal large primer brass.  If you switch to the SP brass I'd chrono just in case you run near the PF lower limits.  Also if a striker fired pistol, make sure it will ignite any primer you use.  I shoot 1911s and have no problem with the rifle primers.

Load data may change depending on which powders and primers you use.  For example, my Major 45ACP load was WLP primer, 5.0gr Solo 1000 with a 200gr TC lead bullet.  It made 171PF.  Substituting a CCI 300 primer dropped that to 169PF, because the WLP is a "semi" Magnum primer.  The same load using a WSP primer dropped PF to 164.  I had to go to 5.1gr to get make to 170PF. 

If you don't want to change your load, you can go to a hotter SPP such as the CCI550.  It is definitely hotter than the CCI500.

Reloading manuals and the Gun rags have never reported any significant difference in loadings when using SPP vs LPP.  Hell the 2PF difference reported above is just noise.  You can get that much variance due to differences in day to day weather,   I have a can full of the SPPrimed brass that I may just sell off if I get enough of it.  It would be easier just to make the swich but I have a tone of 45acp brass with the LPP pockets and old habits are hard to change.

Take Care

Bob

I have chrono'd small versus large primers, and yes, there is a loss in velocity, between 20-40 fps. That was with WST and Clays. If the match you are going to checks PF, I would make absolutely sure you are near 171 with your loads if you mix the primers up. 

If you look at the difference, 740 FPS X 230 gr. give you a 170.2 PF, but if your load goes down by 20 FPS, you get 720 X 230 and that = 165.6 PF, and you just went real close to going minor. The SPP were CCI non magnum. The temp was 65, with minimal humidity. A hot summer day and I would venture to guess you just did go minor, or so close you'd be sweating bullets.........(bad humor).

tcoz, I don't have any reloading manuals or online printouts that do not specify the primer used.  VV specifies the type of primer, but not the make.  Everyone else specifies the exact primer used to obtain the data.  All the data I have is for large pistol primers in 45ACP, so you can use the same load data with small, but you will lose velocity.  If you are just plinking it won't matter.  However, if you are shooting competitions where there is a minimum power factor, it will.

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Steve RA said:

That is all I use - Federal small primer .45 and Tula SRPs.  Never any problems and shoots same as using Federal large primer brass.  If you switch to the SP brass I'd chrono just in case you run near the PF lower limits.  Also if a striker fired pistol, make sure it will ignite any primer you use.  I shoot 1911s and have no problem with the rifle primers.

I haven't loaded spp 45 yet. My thought was to use small pistol magnum primers, I never thought about rifle primers. I am a 1911 fanboy, but I picked up an M&P45 fullsize for my everyday carry. Now I may start dipping into my spp 45 cases. I have both smpp and srp on hand so back to the testing.

• 6 months later...

I've loaded SPP 45 ACP brass and it was something like 5 fps slower than the same load with LPP. My load is 4.5gr Bullseye under coated 230gr @ 1.260 AOL. I've not noticed a difference, but I stopped loading SPP brass because I picked up a used 550B set up for LPP 45 ACP so I don't like changing the priming system, I use to load 45 ACP a Lee Turret.