Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 slide not locking back

Wa3gunNewb

I am totally new to the 2011 style platform but not the 1911 in general. I recently bought a Tripp 2011 in 38 super that was apparently built for Dave Stanford the ex USPSA and IPSC president.

The slide stop doesn't automatically lock back on an empty magazine but i can manually lock it on an empty mag.  The problem is that the slide lock will not engage without a magazine in the gun. 

Any ideas why?

The mags are likely tuned to not lock back on empty. The reason is that when inserting a fully loaded mag with the slide back the mag can be over inserted which can cause issues contacting and possibly breaking the ejector.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I guess I should have explained it a bit better. I understand that the slide doesn't lock back on an empty mag due to the mags being trimmed.

My issue is that if there is no mag in the gun and I pull the slide back, the slide stop lever can not be manually engaged to lock the slide. When I insert an empty mag it manually locks like normal.

So is it normal to not be able to manually lock the slide without a magazine in the gun?

Edited by Wa3gunNewb
Spelling

No, it's unusual that the mag will lock it up and you can't do it manually.

Try pushing the pin from the right side lightly while pushing up. Maybe it's bent slightly and is hitting the frame while being pushed up from the outside

I had this issue with my brand new CK Arms gun slide locking back.  The gun was extremely tight and I was actually not pulling the slide back far enough to engage the slide stop.  It's easier to engage now after breaking it in.

It doesn't sound like it's a new gun but it may also have never been fired much either.

Crash Dodson got it right, the previous owner took what looks like a Dremel ball head and dished it out pretty deep the the slide stop detent pinned the stop down. With the mag in place it created enough tension that it works if the slide is held just right.

Don't have a spare so I threw the slide stop out of my S&W 1911SC in and it functions as it should. I know the 45 slide stop won't function with my 38 super mags but atleast it confirms what was going on.

Guide rod button has seen better days anyways so i will ordering a new stainless slide stop and a 1 piece guide rod this week.

Edited by Wa3gunNewb
Spelling