Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New PT Evo grip

Edge40

18 minutes ago, teros135 said:

It would be nice if everyone could make the major parts, especially the frame, to the same specs, so we (their customers) can choose the components we want instead of jumping around trying to find out what works and where. 

I'm remembering that IBM could have had a lock on the PC market but decided to go proprietary on most of their components.  The customers rebelled, and the "clones" took over.

I think they do, they all make them to a degree of what is needed to fit a vast majority of parts.  Plastic grips fit on them all with slight differences in tightness. 

4 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

Double undercutting and DLC do not void the warranty as long as you don't go full retard on the undercut : )

Interesting, I never asked them when I ordered, just assumed they won't cover it when I put a file to it. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yes, but that's not the point.  Life doesn't revolve around work-arounds.  I have two guns already that I'd like to put a certain grip on, but it's too narrow for anything other than their own brand of frame. 

The grip keys (for fit) are not proprietary. They are machined so that they "can be" fit to other frames on the market to help you, the consumer. If the grip was too loose it would essentially be unusable. You can always take material away... Not so easy to put it back on. The problem is that the tolerances of other manufacturers frames are very inconsistent.

4 minutes ago, ScottieShootz said:

I think they do, they all make them to a degree of what is needed to fit a vast majority of parts.  Plastic grips fit on them all with slight differences in tightness. 

Interesting, I never asked them when I ordered, just assumed they won't cover it when I put a file to it. 

We can chat about it when yours is ready : )

11 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

The grip keys (for fit) are not proprietary. They are machined so that they "can be" fit to other frames on the market to help you, the consumer. If the grip was too loose it would essentially be unusable. You can always take material away... Not so easy to put it back on. The problem is that the tolerances of other manufacturers frames are very inconsistent.

Yes, it seems that tolerances are causing a good deal of difficulty for many of us.

Plastic is easy...it flexes.  

Hmmm.  Wonder what PT's tolerance is for the width of the mounting area, in both the frame and grip.  Inquiring minds would like to know.  1.060 +/- how much?  Anybody?  Bueller?

18 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yes, it seems that tolerances are causing a good deal of difficulty for many of us.

Plastic is easy...it flexes.  

Hmmm.  Wonder what PT's tolerance is for the width of the mounting area, in both the frame and grip.  Inquiring minds would like to know.  1.060 +/- how much?  Anybody?  Bueller?

1.060 +\- .003

25 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

1.060 +\- .003

Thanks.  My PT grip reads 1.0605 and fits the PT frame (with just a bit of rubber hammering).  Frame is at least a year old, grip is new. 

The CK frame (1.065") and STI frame (1.0685) are apparently wider than the tolerances of the PT grips.  

However, I suppose a PT grip on the small side and a PT frame on the large side would have that same .006" fit problem.  What does one do then?  Grab the files and work the frame?

I like to work the grip.  Which part would you potentially change someday? If you change your mind on the grip and want to get the new EVO 3 or the new X Grip, at least your frame is not touched.  I know you are suppose to work the cheaper part, but in the long run, the grip is cheaper. 

Edited by echotango

There ya go. Even a year apart and our stuff fits. Plus there is enough material to be able to fit the grip to either of the other manufacturers frames. 

1.060 is the grip. Frame is different to avoid this issue, obviously. 

It's been fun guys but gotta run! Have a nice day!!

Tiffany

4 minutes ago, echotango said:

I like to work the grip.  Which part would you potentially change someday? If you change your mind on the grip and want to get the new EVO 3 or the new X Grip, at least your frame is not touched.  I know you are suppose to work the cheaper part, but in the long run, the grip is cheaper. 

I could not agree more with this. Either you buy 10 PT frames at once (their minimum order) or, you work on the part that will surely someday be replaced. Yes, it's the more expensive part on paper, but cheaper than having a useless modified frame that only fits X grip. 

I just found this thread today...but two days ago I put a EVO grip on my CK Arms limited gun and the only fitting that I had to do was to narrow the grip safety ever so slightly to fit the frame.  Took maybe 15 minutes.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM, mwc said:

I just found this thread today...but two days ago I put a EVO grip on my CK Arms limited gun and the only fitting that I had to do was to narrow the grip safety ever so slightly to fit the frame.  Took maybe 15 minutes.

That's encouraging.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread today.  I'm building a gun off a L10 80% frame (I'm in CA and can't buy a completed frame).  I sold myself on the evo grip and after reading this I'm wondering if anyone has fit one to an L10 frame?  Things I should be looking out for?  Thanks!

Edited by ducky0811
Typo

Just got my slide/frame back from hard chrome today and fit to my Evo Grip.  It was darned near a drop-in fit on my CK Arms Frame.  I had to take a bit out of the curved portion of the grip to get the frame to drop down completely, but it was a piece of cake.

eqtj81.jpg

Edited by tyler2you

I have an old STi gram (SN# SAS) it's already got a PT alumni grip on it. What are the odds the new Evo grip would pop on there with minimal fitting? Does the alumni grip tend to be more forgiving in figment? I bought the gun with it already on there. Just waiting for it to crack..

1 hour ago, echotango said:

I highly suggest buying a svi trigger when buying an EVO grip. The fitment of a sti trigger is very sloppy. The svi fits great. 

Did your SVI trigger drop-in or require some fitting?  Mine required some file work.

I'll fit mine up later this afternoon but here is a photo of a dawson standard mag release installed (not fitted). Both STI and MBX mags that I have lock securely. Both currently only need the mag release to be depressed 1/8in or slightly more to drop the mag.  I'll probably file back the mag button to all more contact. 

As for STI triggers, my stock one has some play in it.  I have an X-line trigger Vario trigger at the shop I'm planning to use and will see how that all fits as well. 

FTpELjCl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...