Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better Hearing Protection?

I have struggled with adequate hearing protection when shooting an AR. With a Cooley comp on my gun it's quite loud, I generally use custom molded ear plugs but they just don't do a good enough job. In general I've had a hard time with muffs getting in the way of my cheek weld. So is there some other solution I don't know about?

Those "shotgunner" muffs are thin and have a "dent" to help cheek weld. I don't like them because they don't have a noise reduction rating like my peltnors. And the world sounds different :)

I have struggled with adequate hearing protection when shooting an AR.  With a Cooley comp on my gun it's quite loud, I generally use custom molded ear plugs but they just don't do a good enough  job.  In general I've had a hard time with muffs getting in the way of my cheek weld.  So is there some other solution I don't know about?

I shot Limited this past weekend (after shooting Open for the last month +/-). I usually wear Peltor Tactical 7 Pros over custom-molded plugs for Open, but just wore the plugs for shooting Limited. We had to shoot inside an outhouse (where the gun was not through a port, so you got all the muzzle blast right back atcha) and they friggin' SUCKED! Got home and ordered some cheap foam plugs that I'll just bite the bullet and wear all the time while at the range.

In other words, try some foam plugs (like the original E-A-Rs) in place of the molded ones... it should be better. If it's better but not quite good enough, try out some of the Shotgunner muffs on top.

I have a set of custom molded plugs, but they work too well & couldn't hear the timer :o . Anyway, I've found the most effective method for me is to have a set of disposable foam plugs AND Peltor 6 electronic muffs with the left side (I'm right handed) turned OFF.

Very sneeky Pacman! Most R.O.s are right handed and stand on the right side! Even when getting showered by brass! That is the side the BEEP comes from!! COOL!!!! KURTM.

If your molded plugs are not working for you one of 2 things could be wrong......either you have out grown them (ears grow till you die) or they were not made well to begin with.

I have 2 sets of them one set, the older set....are not as quit as my new ones that I had made for me last summer at Nationals. The older set is 5 years old.

For me....(and hearing protection is SOOOOOO personal).....the molded ones work best, and YMMV. So you get to try all sorts of them to find the best one that works for you.

Maybe it's a little off topic, but suppressors are legal in most states (including Colorado). They are also some of the most effective muzzle brakes made. It would however bump you into Open, as it would be a compensator over 1" x 3". Most of the better cans make a .223 sound like a .22 LR. Throw in a couple of earplugs and you're good to go.

m4.jpg

Maybe it's a little off topic, but suppressors are legal in most states (including Colorado).  They are also some of the most effective muzzle brakes made.  It would however bump you into Open, as it would be a compensator over 1" x 3".  Most of the better cans make a .223 sound like a .22 LR.  Throw in a couple of earplugs and you're good to go. 

m4.jpg

With Surefire cans you don't even need hearing protection. Got to shoot one... wicked cool.

First off, my approach is the foam plugs followed by the same thin Peltors that Zak pointed out.

The reasons are several:

First and foremost, I too have found that molded plugs (three different sets of molded ear plugs plus a pair of custom ear inserts for an aviation communications headset) do not work for me. Apparently I have too much taper and not enough curve in my outer ear channels to make them stay in, so they back out. That too could be the problem for rtr and 300lbGorilla. They work fine when I press on them gently, but let go and the crashing noises jump right through...

The thin Peltors (Shot Gunner) are additive to the plugs and did not interfere with the stocks on my AR15's or my NRA Match Rifle. Works fine in tight spots (I don't knock them off) and with the rifle and shotgun.

I figure that moderate muffs on top of excellent plugs is better than good muffs that are perpetually out of position...

Billski

Plugs and muffs are the only way to go. Uncomfortable in the heat? Yeah but it beats being deaf.

Sound enters the ear canal in 3 main ways. Through the ear, through the bone structure and finally through the mouth. BTW, if you want to delete your hearing protection instantly, shoot with your mouth open. The eustation tubes can transfer an incredible amount of sound to the ear canal.

I run the peltor Dillon low pro model and ear plugs for actual stages. When I am just watching most of the time it is just the earmuffs.

Take care,

Matt

Here is somthing I didn't know until last week. If you rotate your peltor muffs 90 degrees you can remove the muff from the spring and put it back upside down so the narrow part is at the bottom. Helps keep the seal from breaking. Works great. GrayWolf let me in on the secret.

Here is somthing I didn't know until last week. If you rotate your peltor muffs 90 degrees you can remove the muff from the spring and put it back upside down so the narrow part is at the bottom. Helps keep the seal from breaking.  Works great. GrayWolf let me in on the secret.

Yep, that's the way to alter the Peltor to make it fit better when shooting long guns. Better cheek weld on AR too.