Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cr Speed Belt Ok?

iweiny

This has probably been asked before but with the new rules and my lack of IDPA experience I have to ask.

Is a CR Speed belt legal in IDPA?

I have a friend who has one and I just ordered one for IPSC. He has used his for IDPA but has not shot since the new rule change and I have never shot IDPA. We both have Blade Tech holsters and mag pouches which I believe follow the "no light rule". However I am unsure if the configuration I have for the mag pouches is legal.

Anyway, just wondering if my new purchase will be allowed.

Thanks,

Ira

I believe IDPA requires that your belt go through the loops. So the best thing to do with a CR speed (or other race rig) is to use only the outer belt and string it through your loops, then I think it would be legal, but I'm sure the mall ninjas will still say it isn't tactical.

The CR belt was against the old rules (provision against an inner/outer belt system) and is too thick for the new rules. Also the belt has to go through the loops, not over them, which would defeat much of the purpose of the CR belt.

Ted

A belt can be too thick?

Well the folks in Berryville have the internet like elsewhere. And when the first version of the new rulebook came out, several people chimed in on this forum and others that they would simply wear a thick enough belt to negate the daylight rule. Headquarters caught on to that and returned with a belt thickness rule.

Ted

D. Belts.

Gun belts may be no wider than 1 ¾” or thicker than 5/16” and

must pass through the pant loops.

(I have no idea on the dimensions of a crspeed belt).

M

Edited by Mark Perez

D. Belts.

Gun belts may be no wider than 1 ¾” or thicker than 5/16” and

must pass through the pant loops.

(I have no idea on the dimensions of a crspeed belt).

M

Without running out to the truck to get my belt to measure, I'm going to say that just the outer belt from the CR Speed system will be fine for IDPA.

I usually wear a Wilderness Instructor CSM belt. When Comp-Tac built my locking paddle to meet the new IDPA no light requirements they asked me which belt I was wearing and true to form they delivered. I also own a CR Speed and some of my other IDPA friends where wearing just the inner belt. I tried just the inner and believe it or not you can see daylight on the locking paddle because it is so thick that it open up the paddle some, with the Wilderness CSM no light. I still will use the CR Speed for USPSA.

One question that I have seen come up from time to time. The rules say that the belt must pass through the loops of your pants. How do you interpret this? I believe Matt Burkett on one of his videos said something like put it through most of the loops but it your mag pouches don't line up like you want them to just skip that one loop and you will still be legal since you have the belt through the loops - just not everyone of them. What do you guys think of that one?

I doubt that anyone would notice. A better idea might be to just wear pants with belt loops where you want them.

From a legalistic (and grammatical) POV, though, a reasonable person would consider "through the belt loops" to mean "through ALL the belt loops". Had it been intended to mean "some", it would have stated that. Then again, it's not the most well-written rule book.

If mag pouch placement were that important to me, I'd order them with paddles rather than belt attachments. It'd be much less hassle to place them, and there wouldn't be any question of belt loops.

Well thanks for the info. I still have my old leather belt for IDPA...

I got my CR belt last night and tried some draws with the airsoft... Really cool! It is way more stable. I can see why people like it so much. Tomorrows special classifier should be fun... ;-)

Ira

Ted, I thought that it was on Matt's IDPA DVD. Could be wrong though - I just had to question that one because if it says through the loops, I'm a simple guy and would think that means through the loops - all of them.

I did find some Sonoma blue jeans from JC Penny that have the belt loops in a different spot that the Levi std location. The One of the left side is positioned so that I can take my mag pouch and slide it all of the way until it contacts the loop and it is lined up with the pant seam. I remember gearing up and their was an SOI there (safety officer Instructor, whom I had recently been certified by) and he said you have to put that carrier behind the loop. I finished gearing up and showed him where the mag carrier rested and he just smiled and said "I'll be damned" or some such comment. So if you shop you can find something that will work for you.

One more hypothetical: Can you modify your pants by moving a belt loop and resewing it on in a spot better suited for your equipment or just remove a belt loop from the pants?

I know guys who had belt loops moved by the Mrs.

FWIW, I usually cut a hole in the center of the holster so it will span the loop if it's in the way. That way if I get new pants I don't have to worry about the belt loops.

I use wranglers which fit the holsters very well. I wouldn't use Levis, they are anti gun you know. ;)

Ted

Didn't know about the Levi political position so thanks for the info. Have to dress for success at this shooting business. Plan on 2 matches this weekend IF it isn't raining all day. It's a long season and I don't like getting wet especially if the high temp is forecasted for 56 F.