Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my Ruger SR1911 firing out of battery?

JJP161

I have a Ruger SR1911 that I absolutely love and I have about 1800-2000 rounds through her so far. On my last couple of range trips it has been chewing up the brass as below and the recoil and sound seem off. I looked at with some of the staff at the range it looks like it is perhaps firing slightly out of battery. I am shooting my own reloads, 230 Gr. Berry RN with 7.1 of Power Pistol at 1.260" with CCI primers. This is a load I use regularly with no issues. I had the same thing happen 2 range trips in a row on 2 different batches of the same load, loaded on my Dillon 550 and all rounds are case gaged before firing. The weapon is cleaned and relubed after each range trip. After this happened on the first magazine of the trip I stopped firing that batch on that weapon. I then tried the exact same batch of loads on the Range's rental gun, the exact same weapon, a Ruger SR1911. The rental SR1911 fired the remaining 93 rounds without any issues. I tried my magazines in the rental SR1911 with my loads and they functioned flawlessly. The first time my SR1911 was cleaned with Slip 2000 725 and lubed per manufacturer's recommendations with Slip 2000 EWL the second range trip I completely detailed stripped the weapon, found no signs of any obvious damaged cleaned to bare metal and lubed with Militec to Ruger  recommendations. Please see the pictures and let me know what you think is going on with my SR1911. Thank-you for the help everyone. 

Joe

IMG_9391 sm.jpg

IMG_9385sm.jpg

IMG_9387 sm.jpg

Firing out of battery would cause the base of the brass to bulge. I would guess that you have an ejection issue, judging from the brass... It looks to me like the case is not fully being ejected, and it is getting slammed back into the side of the breech as the slide is closing. Check your ejector to see if the tip has broken off.

i was initially looking for the telltale bulge and of course didn't see it, but it looks like the mouth of the case is getting caught up under the barrel so that was what made us think of the out of battery. On the one case it matches up perfectly to the barrel. Of course the ejector makes sense so I will check it in the morning but I would be surprised if I missed that when I broke it down and cleaned it Friday night, definitely possible of course. There is an odd burn pattern on the exterior of the case on the opposite side from the deformity but I couldn't get it to show up good in pictures. Thank you I will let you know what I find tomorrow. Hopefully it's so simple and easily corrected, I love the gun, one of my favorites.

I checked the ejector and it's good and I don't see any obvious issues with the extractor and the weapon is not malfunctioning other than the chewed up brass, still feeds, fires and ejects fine. I tried the exact same batch of loads, the remaining 93 rounds in the rental gun, the exact same weapon, and the brass was fine, no burn marks and not damaged at all. Even tried my mag with the same loads in the rental gun and no issues whatsoever.

Sarge, it does like like the primer strikes are off center. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a shipping label and it was delivered to them on last Thursday. So now just waiting to see what they have to say. Keeping me fingers crossed, this is one of my favorite guns. Thank-you

21 minutes ago, JJP161 said:

Sarge, it does like like the primer strikes are off center. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a shipping label and it was delivered to them on last Thursday. So now just waiting to see what they have to say. Keeping me fingers crossed, this is one of my favorite guns. Thank-you

They can be a little off center even under normal conditions. When I had issues with an M&P years ago the primer strikes were way out on the edge of the primer. 

Hopefully Ruger will explain what they found wrong. Often times companies are very generic in the notes they send back with the gun. It would be nice to know exactly what was wrong. :)

Yes I agree I would love to know exactly what was wrong and why it happened. The gunsmith at the range that looked at it thought it was firing out of battery and recommend I send it to Ruger. I tried the exact same loads in the Range's Ruger SR1911 and they fired just fine with no issues. I also tried my mags with my ammo in the rental SR1911 and still functioned fine with no brass deformity. 

I sent an M&P into Smith as well and they were really fast and took great care of me but as you said the notes were very vague. I will say so far Smith & Wesson and Sig have had excellent customer service, where as much as I love my Glocks they were not as good as S&W and or Sig.

I have seen this sort of case damage before on a few different 1911's (albeit not on a Ruger SR1911), the cause in all cases proved to be insufficient extractor tension. Usually only happened on the last round in the magazine - nothing to prevent the fired case from slipping down and not hitting the ejector squarely.

Hey Everyone I just wanted to share an update. My gun just arrived back from Ruger today, talk about amazing customer service, I had it back in less then 2 weeks. With that said they replaced the slide and the extractor. So it has a brand new slide and brand new extractor. Very impressive customer service. Thanks for all of the help.

Joe