Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W "Poorformance" Center strikes again

BallisticianX

I off'd my 929 after a year and a half of frustration between having to send it in, eventually repair myself, and band aid extraction issues. (Read the posts on the 929, including my review for specifics) Needless to say I had it with it. So I decided to get a 627-5" PC to replace it. As a 38/357 I felt their experience with that caliber and the fact all the components for it are dimensionally specific for that caliber's chambers/bore/throats requirements (unlike the 929) it would be a better experience. Well I get it and found that the PC couldn't even mount the barrel correctly. Its canted (over-rotated) quite noticeably. The front sight leans over like a drunken sailor! The single action hammer hook was shallow and would allow the hammer to fall with depressing of the trigger..I don't recall ordering the single action hammer fanning kit on this gun unless it comes free of charge!(some humor to lighten my disgust here). Both of those problems were not going to be a problem for say, I was mounting a red dot so need need for the front sight picture. And I was installing an apex bobbed hammer for double action only. But the last draw was the cylinder beginning to drag across the barrel face after firing less than fifty 120 pf 38 spcl test rounds. It has a bit more end shake than it should as a brand new gun but it's more of (or at least in part to the end shake) the barrel's over rotation positioning the barrel face further in the frame subsequently closing the cylinder gap off. Regardless of what it is this is a complete fail on S&W. These are obvious issues that should be caught and rectified before it goes out of the shop. One can argue this, but it stands to question, what is wrong with QC at S&W? How does this happen on a higher expense gun that it supposedly given extra care and personalized fit/assembly as an upgraded class of firearm? Let me stress that I'm not a born S&W hater. On the contrary I've been a lifelong S&W fan and have quite the collection of them. But the modern S&W products seem to be the subject of these types of occurrences way to often. As a matter of fact their Warranty repairs Dept must be drowned with influx from all the "send in's" I hear about, read about, and personally have done. I am just disappointed in all this.....2 PC guns that were embarrassments in less than 2 years including 2 M&P's sent in as well with horrific accuracy and FTE. I will only buy the old hammer nose era of revolvers from here on out, they were the babies that worked as good as they felt. So in a poetic sense S&W its like seeing an American Icon of legendary quality and beauty slowly die of cancer. Unfortunate. 

Disclaimer: "Poorformance Center" is a registered trademark of the Smith Handgun Ownership Troubles Consumer Reporting of American Pistolmen (SHOTCRAP), it may not be reproduced or disseminated without written consent from me.

Last week I did 2 competition trigger jobs on a new 929 and a 627.  Both guns came from the factory in great condition.

In the last year I purchased 7 shots 686 and 9MM for in house testing.  Both were great.  I was so lucky I guess

The bottom line is not that these were all so good but that you can get both types of revolvers from S&W.  Good ones and Bad ones.

We need some one at the factory to preform inspections before we buy.  I would pay for that service.  But then I thought that was the purpose of the Performance Center.

I just got in my 2nd 929 yesterday and a fully loaded moon clip will not seat properly.  Rechecked that loaded moon clip in my other 929 and a moon clip checker, and it works fine. 

On closer inspection, it appears there are burs on the extractor star that are causing the problem.  It's only a 5 min fix for me to do, and small in comparison to all the other tuning & tweaking I'm going to do.  BUT it does indicate a lack of final QA at the S&W factory. 

I'm looking through the box right now to see if there's an "inspected by" tag so I could send some feedback to S&W.

Here's a pic of the extractor.  It's just oversized and needs to be ground down so it does not stick out into the cylinder bores

P9160003a.JPG

Edited by VanMan1961
added pic

hah - problem #2 the barrel is not correctly indexed. 

P9170009a.JPG

The worst part is that they must have realized this at the factory because the rear sight is adjusted all the way to the right. 

P9170010a.JPG

I guess I could live with this if I really had to, but it's a backup gun and we are heading in to the off season.  I'm going to send it in for warranty service before I even first a single shot.

Edited by VanMan1961

QA for SW are end customers...

my 929 been in service twice.

barrel looks twisted, but actually it's not the barrel, frame is not equal on top side , creating that crooked look

627 PC had spring smashed and still shipped this way

686+PC and 327TRR older ones were up to PC standard. Newer are not with extra $

image.jpeg