Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best lighweight bcg

Mindreader1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Iron City one the I have is just like Kurts and it weighs 6.9 oz for the carrier . What's weird is that it took less gas for my gun to cycle compared to my last low mass carrier even though the other carrier was slightly lighter . Not going to say names because I'm not here to bash on other companies . The coating is the reason I think it cycles with less gas

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Durtywrench said:

The Iron City one the I have is just like Kurts and it weighs 6.9 oz for the carrier . What's weird is that it took less gas for my gun to cycle compared to my last low mass carrier even though the other carrier was slightly lighter . Not going to say names because I'm not here to bash on other companies . The coating is the reason I think it cycles with less gas

I think yall convinced me. The question now is which coating to get. They range from 299 all the way to like 300+

You can call them and say Kurt sent you, but they will probably charge you more. I don't have any discount codes or nothing, but it is a darn good carrier for the money. ;)

Edited by kurtm

4 hours ago, Durtywrench said:

The TiN coating one is like $260 use my code LM223 and get 10% off I believe . If you have a problem call him and tell him Lou sent you . Saves money for you

Awesome. Ill give that a try - should I pair it with a standard jp scs?

18 minutes ago, Durtywrench said:

If you do make sure to a spring pack from JP to fine tune it with your gas block . It's beneficial to not slam the bolt carrier hard .

The Iron City site suggests that I use the Taccom lightweight buffer system.  That doesn't seem to supply enough pressure to actually make the bcg work properly no?

6 minutes ago, Mindreader1 said:

The Iron City site suggests that I use the Taccom lightweight buffer system.  That doesn't seem to supply enough pressure to actually make the bcg work properly no?

Doesn't seem to apply enough pressure.. have you already used the Taccom system?  

Has worked for for me with a few lightweight bcg.

13 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Doesn't seem to apply enough pressure.. have you already used the Taccom system?  

Has worked for for me with a few lightweight bcg.

Well I was just curious.... a stupid question but would like to understand how does a 2-3 oz buffer offer enough push to the BCG to actually extract a round?  

7 minutes ago, Mindreader1 said:

Well I was just curious.... a stupid question but would like to understand how does a 2-3 oz buffer offer enough push to the BCG to actually extract a round?  

I think you're a little confused as to how the system works. For what it's worth, most guys building DMR/SPR type AR's prefer heavier carriers, not lighter. Its been my experience that heavier components running on minimum gas is a lot easier on brass when your running hot loads.

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 3:01 PM, mike_pinto said:

Hey buddy. I know this is a lost art but the owner of Iron City and the developer of all the products is the same guy that answers the phone. Give him a shout and let him know about your setup and he will set you straight.  Oh yeah, take Kurts advice. Hahaha

Thanks Mike! Was curious - im thinking of building a 6.5 instead since its more useful for bigger game hunts. Is there anything inherent to that bullet and barrel that prevents it from shooting with lighteweight setup?

On September 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM, mike_pinto said:

Hey buddy. I know this is a lost art but the owner of Iron City and the developer of all the products is the same guy that answers the phone. Give him a shout and let him know about your setup and he will set you straight.  Oh yeah, take Kurts advice. Hahaha

Very true - after reading this I just called and had a conversation where I was walked through each of the 4 coating options with the pros and cons, and the TiN (C4V) is where I settled.  Can't wait to get it in the gun!  Very patient and helpful guy over there at Iron City, and he didn't tell me to buy the most expensive part... 

I have the Rubber City Armory Titanium Black Ti Carrier and couldn't be happier. The carrier only weighs 5.8oz, with the bolt it weighs 7.8oz. Its a full M16 profile and doesn't need to be run "wet". Plus it has a Lifetime Warranty. 

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM, mveto said:

I have the Rubber City Armory Titanium Black Ti Carrier and couldn't be happier. The carrier only weighs 5.8oz, with the bolt it weighs 7.8oz. Its a full M16 profile and doesn't need to be run "wet". Plus it has a Lifetime Warranty. 

Do you know if it has forward assist serrations?

16 minutes ago, Mindreader1 said:

Do you know if it has forward assist serrations?

Yes it does have the forward assist serrations. On top of being an incredibly light bolt the customer service at Rubber City Armory is awesome. I had an issue with the bolt face and they took the bolt back and replaced a few parts and returned it promptly and with parts that didn't need to be replaced. I would highly recommend the bolt to anyone looking for one. 

12 hours ago, mveto said:

Yes it does have the forward assist serrations. On top of being an incredibly light bolt the customer service at Rubber City Armory is awesome. I had an issue with the bolt face and they took the bolt back and replaced a few parts and returned it promptly and with parts that didn't need to be replaced. I would highly recommend the bolt to anyone looking for one. 

Yeah i bought a grendel kit from jp so i have their enhanced bolt. Does the rca carrier only have the other components like firing pin and cam pin as well? Wonder how it ll cycle with jp everything and with a different carrier. Also trying to decide btw the taccom buffer, the kak adjustable and tbe jp scs. Anyone w experience w more than one of those?