Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest

Rye

+1 or the RST.  Use the second and fourth holes in the C-More pattern and it is right where you want it for the best grip.  If i didn't have a frame mounted dot, I'd probably go with the GoGun *thumb rest [generic]* Racer's Cut.

+ 1 for the ssi thumb rest/slide stop. It's only downside is price. It's a quality piece though. 

Persinally though I have a very 'thumbs forward' grip and like the more conventional style. 

I also really like the rht/cr speed one and my fav is actually the tanfoglio gold team one (holes are 10mm apart but will work with cmore 9.53mm spacing with a little work). 

The other one I like is the ipsc Alex model. It's very big but being aluminium you can easily shape it to suit. 

The go gun is way too big for my tastes and way too far back but thumb rests are a very personal choice so my preference may not suit anyone else. 

yeah as above I have 2 IPSC alex ones (one for a gold team and one 2011). interestingly they each have slightly different checkering. one is slightly sharper points than the other, I can't remember which one is the older one (i'm guessing he changed process at some point). The are very light and they are very LARGE. However being aluminium you could easily shape it to suit what you want. you could file it down nice and small. I've bought only a few things from ipscalex but he has always been very good to deal with and his products that I've tried were well designed and well made. his mounts look nice too. http://ipscalex.com/ 

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, BigBamBoo said:

Shameless plug, I have a new GoGuns opposable in black I would sell cheap.  

Man I just ordered a goguns last week. Got it Saturday and installed it, really like it trying to decide which hole I like the best. Shot it in the rear hole and liked that but didn’t care for the draw in the rear, moved it to the front and like how it fills with the draw but haven’t had a chance the shoot it in the front hole yet.

Pretty much anything except a gogun *thumb rest [generic]*. The guy who trademarked the name is an abomination to shooting sports and an akai or anyone else’s is a much better design anyway. 

On 9/16/2016 at 5:28 PM, Rye said:

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone tried ipsc alex thumb rest?

I have one on all 3 of my Open guns. It allows my medium size hand to be in a relaxed position without the thumb being more vertical like the gogogun. I have used the RHT and liked it but the pad is too small. I have also tried the original nitrofin and the newer 2.0 model. I have spent way too much time changing thumb rests. I have stuck with the IPSC Alex. I wouldn’t mind trying the  Akai ...

Another +1 for the Akai. I've tried the Everglades, Brazos, RHT, and DAA Adgustable. I was chasing the combo of thumbrest and mag button that would not allow my grip to inadvertently hit the mag release mid-blastin'. Akai and Dawson low-pro was the ticket for me. 

The adjustability of the DAA was nice, but after a year, it wouldn't stay rigid. Plus its a metric thread pattern 👎.

The Brazos was absolutely huge, and had no texture. It felt like my thumb was 3/4" away from the gun.

The Everglades was right for the price, but the angle was too flat, and texture had to be added with skate tape.

The RHT came close - angle and location was right for me, but I wanted something a little wider. 

The Akai is almost identical to the RHT in angle and location, but wider and very nicely textured. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

Also, second on the GoGun. That type of mindset is a cancer to our sport - wouldn't get my dollar. Akai is much better imo, regardless.

I have my Akai on the farthest forward mounting holes, (1&3) but I grip with my left hand and thumb a lot higher and farther forward than most.

Edited by ehowell12

1 hour ago, ehowell12 said:

Also both the RHT and the Everglades had to be modified to allow the slide stop to be removed without taking the thumb rest off. This was specific to the location that I had them mounted - but sure did mess up that purty anodizing. 

I polished my RHT to match hard chrome. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, ehowell12 said:

I have my Akai on the farthest forward mounting holes,

I've tried a bunch of rests also.  I finally settled on the RHT, but felt it too small.  Based on the comments here I ordered two Akai rests.  Absolutely love them.  I also mounted them in 1 and 3.