Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Good 'Til the Last Round

MissionaryMike

4 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

1.  I think my OAL and crimp measurements are good.

2.  However, the last round of every mag is failing to fully chamber.

1.  Very important for both to be correct - have you run The Plunk Test, to be certain?

2.  Might be a few things - too powerful recoil spring?  Mag follower?

Good luck with it.

• 2 months later...

There is no "I think my COL and crimp are good." They either are or they aren't.

Does the round jam at the feed ramp? Does it jump up and jam at the top of the barrel?

Does it almost chamber? If so, can you close the slide with thumb pressure or is the round really jammed in the chamber such that pulling the slide back practically takes a hammer?

If you remove the barrel, does the cartridge that didn't chamber from the magazine drop in and pass the plunk test? If it does, then you have a magazine/limp wrist/recoil spring/change in grip issue where something isn't quite right.

Do you have other magazines and do they all have the same problem?

If it fails the plunk test, then many of your other rounds must also be bad, meaning that the issue STILL goes back to the difference between the last round and the other rounds, as the slide had enough power to chamber the other rounds. However, that also means you need to "paint the bullet and case" and do the plunk test to find the cause of the chambering problem and fix that also.

Edited by noylj