Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady One Shot Lube - Remove after loading?

jamesp81

I am loading a lot of 223 on a progressive press.  I've been using Hornady One Shot.  If I don't remove the one shot from my loaded cases and fire them, should I expect increased bolt thrust in my rifle to mess up my bolt / headspace over time?

FYI, I'm shooting an AR-15.

Are you not trimming after sizing?

To sorta answer your question, one shot isn't the best lube for rifle ammo, you could easily experience a stuck case in the sizing die, if its a full length die. Better is a lanolin based lube, and yes, its best to remove it before loading. Any lube will pick up dirt and stuff that you don't want in the chamber.

jj

45 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Are you not trimming after sizing?

To sorta answer your question, one shot isn't the best lube for rifle ammo, you could easily experience a stuck case in the sizing die, if its a full length die. Better is a lanolin based lube, and yes, its best to remove it before loading. Any lube will pick up dirt and stuff that you don't want in the chamber.

jj

I'm using RCBS X-dies, which largely eliminate the need for it, however when needed, yes I trim after sizing.  Even though I'm using the X-die, I still ordinarily size on my single stage press and load on progressive.

I made a load development package of 100 rounds, with the first 10 rounds at 24gr of 748, going up 0.2gr every 10 rounds to a max of 25.8gr.  Didn't think about it until I had them loaded...for obvious reasons, I can't simply dump the whole lot of them in the tumbler.  I have no way to differentiate which cases hold which charge.  As it stands, they are arranged in 10 rows of 10, 24gr at the front, 25.8gr at the back.

I've been using one shot for 20 years.  In that time I've stuck exactly one case in my single stage press, and when I did, it was because I didn't follow the directions closely.

I will grant that it's not necessarily the best for some of the larger cases.  223 cases have never been an issue.  I can do 243 Winchester with it reasonably well, though it can be tough getting the expander ball through the case neck on the downstroke.  You can easily get into some serious elbow grease with 7mm Remington Magnum...ask me how I know :D

In any case, the question is about how much of a problem I'll have with bolt thrust if I don't clean the one shot off before shooting.  If it's going to be an issue, I'll have to figure some way out.  Anyone know if a cloth soaked with rubbing alcohol and a wipe down of each cartridge will do it?

You don't have to remove one-shot but your ammo will puck up dirt.  Try some alcohol and a towel to wipe them down.  You can also tumble loaded ammo.  I think you find the Dillon spray lube works better, with cases larger then .223 you can really tell a difference. 

To me, I want the slipperiest lube I can find for any sizing operation. It just makes everything easier, and the sizing more consistent. I tried OS once on 45acp, and threw the can away and went back to lanolin. For 223, 308, 260, and 30 06 rifle there is no question in my mind that lanolin lube makes the job easier. I suspect it would be the same for 7mag.

To answer your question about bolt thrust, I have no clue. I would remove the lube by wiping with alcohol or tumble 10 rounds at a time, just to be sure there will be no problems.

I remove lube off rifle brass before loading it, with pistol ammo I remove the lube after loading, both in the tumbler.

Good luck...

jj

I'd head to WalMart get a can of their brake clean. Lay each group on a couple paper towels and spray with brake clean, then give a final wipe with the damp towel.

I've been cleaning my brass after sizing with Crud Cutter mixed in hot water. Then rinse in cold and dry either in the sun or oven at 190 degrees.

Agree with JJ, HOS isn't the best lube for progressively loading rifle IMO. I use Dillon lube and tumble it off after sizing and trimming. I use it sparingly for pistol though and would never load without it after years of using it noting it's benefits. I don't remove it again noting that I use it sparingly. IF I were to use it for rifle, and wanted to remove it. I would tumble it off in untreated dry media.

just wipe it off with a rag/paper towel. ive always used one shot , and after i size they get 15min in the tumbler, then trim and load. been using one shot for 15yrs on rifle casings and have yet to stick one single case. though i am going to try the lanolin/alcohol, not because im dissatisfied with one shot, but one shot just isnt very economical.

• 2 weeks later...

What quantities do you mix the lanolin and alcohol in to make the lube? 

is it 99% alcohol and 1% lanolin which is how you could read the above posts but seems a lot of alcohol that! Or was the 99% referring to ABV% 

only ask as I want to give it a try

Ha! Good point. It's 99% abv. Anything less and it leaves moisture in the mix and doesn't evaporate fully.

it doesn't take much lanolin to work great. I think I am at 3 to 1 ratio in a spray bottle. 

There is a ton of info on here if you do a search. Some have bought Dillon lube and thinned it out with more alcohol and it still works perfect.

Do yourself a favor and don't look for it locally. I tried looking everywhere people recommended and came up empty. Just order 99% alcohol and liquid lanolin on Amazon and you'll have it in two days. $20 and you'll have lube for life!

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 3:42 PM, jamesp81 said:

I made a load development package of 100 rounds, with the first 10 rounds at 24gr of 748, going up 0.2gr every 10 rounds to a max of 25.8gr.  Didn't think about it until I had them loaded...for obvious reasons, I can't simply dump the whole lot of them in the tumbler.  I have no way to differentiate which cases hold which charge.  As it stands, they are arranged in 10 rows of 10, 24gr at the front, 25.8gr at the back.

I use the full range of colored sharpies to denote charges. I use a 550 so my bottle neck rounds go:

Tumble if they are dirty

Lube

Size/deprime

Tumble

Trim

Load.