Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TennJeep's Training Thread

TennJeep1618

TennJeep’s Training Thread

I started a training thread about a year ago on another forum (http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?28812-TennJeep-s-Training-Journal), but I’d like to start one here as well, especially since I’m starting to shoot a division that few people shoot on GCGF.

Background:  I’ve been shooting competitively for about 2 years.  I started in IDPA, but have only shot USPSA for the last several months.  I spent a lot of last year switching up guns and trying different things, then eventually got fed up/burned out and took a couple months off from shooting.  I’ve stuck with Production pretty much this entire year so far, but I’m now making the jump into Open.  I traded for an open gun a couple months ago, shot one match, and then went back to production in preparation for the GA State match.  Now that’s over, so I’ve been practicing with my open gun and will shoot my second match in open this coming weekend.

If you want to read what I’ve worked on over the last year, feel free to check out the link above.  I’ll continue to update this thread and that one in the future.  I welcome feedback and constructive criticism.  I know that I have the ability to become a much better shooter, I just need to put in the work and get some guidance along the way.

I had to fight a bunch of other people at the range this past weekend, so I was only able to do a little practice, but I tried to make the most of it.  I mainly worked on finding the dot on the draw and pushed my transition speed.  I did the same thing last night in dry fire. 

I also tried something Steve Anderson mentioned in his latest podcast.  He indicated that you shouldn’t let your shoulders slouch before the draw.  You should try to keep your shoulders in the same position at which you holstered your gun.  It certainly seems to help.  Not only was I able to drop my draw par time by .1s, but it just felt a lot better and smoother.

I’m going to work on getting more 3rd person video in the future; since I know that it’s much better for learning.  For those interested, here are a couple recent GoPro match videos:

GA State Match:

First match shooting Open (shortly after I got the gun):

I was told by a friend that now I'm a REAL open shooter because I bought a backup gun today.

I've spent the last couple dry fire sessions limiting my focus to only one or two skills, to increase repetitions (and boredom) and hopefully the speed at which those skills get better.  Someone recommended that I try drawing to a small spot in order to develop/refine my index with the gun, so I did a lot of that last night.  I also spent quite a bit of time on transferring the gun to WHO, then finding the dot on target.  It's funny because I was able to find the dot relatively quickly WHO in the classifier in the video above (considering I had no experience with the gun), but it took me a few reps last night to start getting it.  I'm nowhere near consistent with it yet, but that's what practice is for!

Got out to the range yesterday to chrono some ammo and do a little practice.  I mainly worked on movement and dot tracking and filmed some of my practice for analysis.  As far as movement, I need to work more on decelerating low and smoothly, staying low and being ready to shoot as soon as my inside foot is inside the box (if not sooner).  I also need to be more aggressive and explosive leaving a position, picking my inside foot up as I'm breaking the second shot.  

I'm still struggling a little with my index, as clearly seen in the 25yd Bill drills.  I also found that there is a fine line between gripping the gun so hard that the dot starts wiggling and gripping it too lightly where it jumps around too much in your hand.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Edited by TennJeep1618

An M class shooter saw my video and told me I should be entering with the inside foot, as opposed to the outside foot.  It seemed counter-intuitive to me, so I asked him to explain why.  He did one better.  He made a video showing and explaining it.  I'm not sure if he's on this forum, but I think this video can help others as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the MPSA USPSA match this past weekend.  Finished 2nd overall, at 99.38% of the winner.

I had a bit of a brain fart on stage 1.  I was supposed to reload while moving to the 3rd position (where I could shoot all of the rest of the targets) and start shooting the paper first.  Instead, I took a single step while reloading, then had to move and I started shooting the steel first.  Poor visualization led to poor execution.

My classifier ought to be just over 75%, which will be my highest in open so far (only have 5, including this one).

I had a miss on the second to last target on stage 3 (the one I swung past after the last steel).  I didn't call it and both impacts appear to be behind the target in the video, so I have no idea what happened.  It didn't look like a double.

I need to be a little more patient and precise when shooting steel.  I had way too many make up shots during the match.  Other than that I need to keep working on speeding up transitions (as always) and movement, as well as just putting more rounds downrange to get used to the gun and tracking the dot.  I did some shooting on the move during the match, but I think I can speed that up as well.  I just need to verify that in practice.

The new gun ran great and I feel pretty good about the match, overall.  I didn't try to go out and do anything crazy, I just shot firmly in match mode.

I spend a good amount of time working on transitions yesterday evening in dry fire, finishing up with some match mode practice with lots of simulated steel targets.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the ECPS USPSA match this past Saturday.  Here are the videos:

I learned several things from this match, such as:

* I'm not moving nearly as aggressively as I should.  It feels like I am while shooting, but the 3rd person video shows the truth.

* If I have gear problems during "make ready," I need to walk away and sort them out before I shoot the stage.  I had a magazine problem during "make ready" on the classifier and chose to shoot it with just one mag on my belt, which was a mistake.

* Poorly adjusted poppers are a huge pain.  During my first run shooting the classifier (not in the video), the last popper wobbled, but stayed up.  I almost shot it again, but I could see my impact was low, but inside the calibration zone (shooting major, btw).  I called for calibration and the shooter shot it near the very top of the calibration zone, which of course caused it to fall.  The RO/score keeper forgot to record my time and lost it during the shuffle, so I got a re-shoot anyway, but my first run was solid.

* I need to be more patient/deliberate when shooting steel.  I currently don't have anywhere to practice shooting steel (this will be remedied shortly), so I tend to get a little sloppy and sling a shot when the dot flashes across the steel.

* If I have a malfunction, I need to keep my eyes on the gun.  I had a malfunction (not sure what happened, first malfunction with this gun) on stage 1, which screwed up my stage plan as far as the timing of shooting the drop-turner.  I took my eyes off of the gun to look at the drop-turner, which caused me to miss the slide racker the first time.

* I need to learn the rules a little better.  We had 2 disappearing targets during the match, which I know are no penalty mikes, but I wasn't aware that there is no FTE for not shooting at them.  My plan on stage 1 would have definitely been different had I known that.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the 2016 Louisiana Gator Classic this weekend. It was my 4th match shooting open division and 1st major in open.

I did 2 unnecessary reloads (poor visualization on stage 5 and 10), I made some good decisions to make up shots, I picked a stage plan or two that were a little above my skill level, had tons of fun, and learned a lot!

One of the biggest takeaways from the 3rd person video is that I slow way down when I reload compared to movement between positions without reloading. This is the first time I had really good footage of that. I also need to work on staying lower. This match and shooting with some folks that are much better than me has really got me motivated to hit the live and dry fire hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to update this, since it's been a couple weeks.

A couple weeks ago, I took someone's advice and practiced doing my reload within the first step or two of my movement between positions. I discovered that I was having a little trouble reaching the mag release quickly (I noticed the same thing a little at the Gator the previous week when it was cool in the mornings). I had a STI paddle laying around, so I put that on and it made a HUGE difference.

I set up a target on the fence on each side of my shed, so I could use the shed as a vision barrier. I need to tweak the drill a little and either use multiple targets in each array or dry fire 6 shots at each target. I just need something to increase the dwell time at each position. I also need to increase the movement distance a little, to give me more room to accelerate. By doing those two things, I think I can really analyze the difference between movement with and without reloading.

I also got out to the range last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and shot about 1400 rounds. The main reason for this was because I'm selling my 38SC gun and I needed to shoot up all of my loaded ammo, so I can sell the brass with the gun. But, I also used it for practice. I did a lot of Bill drills and some (simulated) distance change-up drills. All of the target stands are stationary in a line at that range, so I used full size open targets on the outside and index cards in the middle. I sometimes treated the index cards as a normal paper target and sometimes as steel, only requiring one shot. I feel like I made some strides in making sure my dot settles and breaking the trigger cleanly on those (simulated) long/steel targets.

This past weekend, I shot about 300 rounds in live fire practice.  I was able to setup a movement drill with a vision barrier, where I had to set up a stable position to shoot 3 targets around the wall.  I did some drills where I had to reload while moving and some without.  I also got my new backup gun sighted in and practiced a little with it.  It's got a steel grip, which feels a little more dead in the hand than my primary with the plastic grip, but I love the way my hand locks into my primary gun with the Brazos magwell.

I shot the Endless Summer Blast USPSA match this past weekend.  I’d call it a level 1.5 match, because there were 85 competitors, 10 stages, food, and lots of prizes.

I feel like I did a lot of things better than I did at the Gator Classic a few weeks ago.  My transitions look faster, my reloads were mostly done within the first step or two of leaving a position, I started shooting sooner while coming into a position, and I’m feeling much more comfortable with the gun itself.  I noticed from the 3rd person video that I’m still really choppy with my movement and I don’t stay low like I should.  This will be a point of emphasis during live and dry fire practice moving forward.  The three mikes I got (other than the two for the FTE target) were on longish (20yds) targets where I wasn’t patient enough in letting the dot settle for an accurate shot.  Two of those had hits outside the perf.  I need to work visual patience for long targets.

I had more magazine/gun problems during this match than I have had the entire time I’ve owned the gun.  One of my 170mm magazines fell out of the gun twice in the first two stages.  I used a different one the rest of the match and didn’t have that problem again, although I did have a couple of feeding issues throughout the day.  I’m going to put some new springs in my mags and check the body of the problematic 170mm to see if something is going on there.  I put an STI mag release paddle on my gun after the Gator, since I had some trouble reaching the mag release.  I haven’t had any problems with it in practice or in the stages after I ditched that one mag, but I’m going to analyze my grip and make sure that doesn’t become an issue in the future.  I may pick up an EGW style mag paddle because it’s not quite as big as the STI.

The last stage of the day (Stage 6 – Boxed In) was a complete disaster.  I had a round go nose-up after the last shot before the reload, I fumbled the reload, tried to put another mag in the gun, but it didn’t seat because of the nose-up round and fell out of the gun, then I finally got a fresh mag in the gun and promptly forgot a target.  I realized it at the end of the COF, but it would have taken a lot of time to go back to it.  That stage cost me at least 2 places in the match, possibly 3 or 4.

Overall, I feel better about this match performance than any of my other open matches so far.  I need to improve a few things (as always) and minimize some mistakes, but I’m encouraged by the improvements I’ve made in the last 3-4 weeks.

3rd person video:

POV video:

• 3 weeks later...

This update is way overdue, but here goes.

Since my last post, I managed to win my first USPSA match.  Videos first:

Much like the Endless Summer Blast, I felt like I did a lot of things right, but I still need to speed up my transitions and stay low while shooting. I also need to work on consistency and make sure I stick with my stage plan when things go wrong.

Stage 1, for example: I almost dropped the gun thanks to a really bad draw and I hit the mag release with my weak hand while trying to adjust my grip. I recovered (eventually), but then I didn't quite stick to my stage plan. Luckily, it only cost me an additional second or two, but those kind of things have been bothering me lately.

I shot a solid A classifier, which should drop off at least one bad initial classifier (if the Gator Classic fee ever gets paid).

This past Saturday, I got out to the range early and had the place to myself.  I setup my steel target and worked on Steve Anderson's "Call it and leave it" drill for almost an hour.  I should have taken a camera and filmed it, but I really just wanted to practice efficiently, for once.  Given that I didn't have to work around anyone else, I accomplished that goal.  I shot 200-250 rounds in just under an hour and I exhausted myself in the process.

I spent most of last week in bed fighting back spasms, but I've been up and going for a couple days now.  I'm going to take it as easy as possible the rest of the week because I really want to shoot the Swamp Challenge on Sunday.

The Swamp Challenge stages are posted here: http://swampchallengematch.com/wp-content/uploads/SwampChallengeStages.pdf

Looks like a lot of fun, but I need to keep working on my weak hand and unloaded starts.  I'm really hoping these stages are as stretched out and technical as they look.

Having plenty of time to think while laying in bed last week, I decided that my next shooting goal is to make A class in Open by the AL sectional, next March.  That means I need at least 4 more A classifiers between now and then.  It's very achievable, but I've got to put in the work to make it happen and there is little, if any, room for error.

Edited by TennJeep1618
fixed link

1 minute ago, SCTaylor said:

Congrats on the win!

I have no idea what is going on the Gator, seems like they just don't want to pay.

Good luck at the Swamp Challenge! I'd love to make that next year.

Thanks!  I have no idea what's going on, either.  If they don't pay the fee before the classifiers get updated tomorrow, then I'll go into the Swamp as a C shooter, which is not where I should be.  Even if the Gator doesn't give me a match bump, it counting as a classifier would drop off one of my bad initial classifiers, so I would be bumped up to B anyway.  I may talk to the Swamp match director and see if he'll let me shoot as a B, since the Gator scores are lagging.

6 minutes ago, mosher said:

Give them some time.  The 2015 gator posted to uspsa about march 2016.

Yikes.  The scores are already up on USPSA.org, but Stephanie said they were accidentally uploaded as a local match instead of the Section match.  She said once that was fixed, then the activity fee would be paid and all would be good.  That was a couple weeks ago.

I made it out to the range on Monday for some much needed live fire practice.  My back is still bothering me, so I wasn't able to do as much as I would have liked.  Still, I was able to accomplish a few things.  WHO and SHO shooting were two of the major skills I worked on.  I always seem to forget to practice them in live fire, so this was a great opportunity.  Finding the dot after the transition to WHO is still a little iffy, but it'll come naturally with more practice.

I also did some dry fire yesterday, even though my back protested.  I kept with the theme of no big transitions or twisting movements and warmed up with some draw to sight picture, then spent about 15 minutes on WHO.

I finally got the bump to B class today, thanks to an old 20% classifier finally dropping off.  The Gator score still isn't in, but it won't change my classification and won't help me get into A.

On that note, I'm facing a conundrum about which match to shoot this Saturday.  One local club is having a 200-250 round match and a lot of good open shooters are going to be there.  On the other hand, a different local club is going to have a classifier match, which could really help me move towards A class.  I think I'm going to wait until Friday and let my back decide for me.  If it feels good, I'll shoot the high round count match.  If it's still bothering me, I'll shoot the classifiers because they shouldn't require much movement.

I got an idea yesterday while listening to Ben Stoeger's interview on the Shooters Summit.  He mentioned that a lot of folks don't practice/train for consistency.  Consistency is something I continue to struggle with and I started thinking about how to best practice for it.  The obvious answer is that you need to practice each skill enough to be consistent at it.  Anyone who has followed this thread knows that I tend to jump around a lot as far as working on different skills.  Many of my training decisions stem from inconsistencies I noticed in the previous match.  While I'm sure this will eventually lead to getting better overall, I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to become more consistent.

I think I may perform an experiment in the next month or so.  Since I'm finally going to be joining a range in January where I'm allowed to set up full stages and should never have to work around other people, I've got an idea of how to develop a list of skills on which I should spend a lot of time and effort.  My thought is to set up a simple stage that incorporates a lot of what we see in matches on a regular basis:  big movement, wide transition, distance change-up, hard lean, opportunity to shoot on the move, tight target, etc.  I'll then run the stage 5 or 10 times (maybe do another drill in between runs to break it up), film every run (from multiple angles), write down every split from the timer, then go back and watch the film, analyze the timer data, and develop a list of skills or areas where I'm the most inconsistent and stick with that list for an extended period of time.

Thoughts on this idea?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A local match this past Saturday was cancelled due to bridges in the area freezing overnight.  It was rescheduled for this coming weekend, when the weather should be much more pleasant.

After all but convincing myself to take a few weeks off, I went 180 degrees and have been training pretty hard the last few days.  I've dry fired the last four days straight, and this may be the first time I've ever done any real dry fire during the weekend.  I finally got my gun room cleaned out enough that I'm able to get a simulated 8-9 yards with 1/3 scale targets, so I've been doing a lot of El Prez and other 3-reload-3 drills.

I also got out to the range for a little live fire yesterday.  I had about 15 or 20 minutes alone at the range, so I did the Call It and Leave It drill until my lungs started burning and I had to shed some clothes.  Once some other folks arrived, I pulled my steel target and put up 3 paper for some El Prez, Bill Drills, SHO, WHO, and a few shooting on the move drills.  I just wasn't really feeling the live fire, so I got home and hit the dry fire really hard for about 30 minutes and felt much better afterwards.

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about goals for 2017, so I started thinking about what my goals should be.  So far, I'm thinking:

* Shoot fewer major matches.  I shot 7 or 8 majors in 2016.  While I really enjoyed them, I feel like my time would be better spent shooting locals and practicing.  Plus all of those majors took a toll on my vacation days (not to mention my wallet).  I'm currently signed up for the AL Sectional, Area 6, and the Jabs Steel match in March, April, and May, respectively.  I'll probably try to shoot another major or two later in the year, but I'm not sure which matches yet.

* Keep practicing and get better.  I'm not making a specific goal about making A or M class, but I want to be able to compete with the A's by the AL sectional in 2 months.  I'm not terribly far from that, I just need to keep up the practice and let it work.

* Take some time off from shooting.  I shot a lot in 2016 and didn't take a break. When I started to get burned out in Production, I switched to Open. While that's been a lot of fun and has reinvigorated my dedication, I'm going to need to take some time off this coming year.  I may take a month or so off during the heat of the summer, as long as it doesn't interfere with any major matches.

I shot a local USPSA match on Saturday.  The weather was nice/hot (79 degrees - tied the record high).

POV Video (minus stage 1)

3rd Person Video

Not a bad match.  I noticed a few improvements and some bad habits I have fallen back into after lack of practice.  My movement was slow while reloading (much like in the Gator Classic).  I need to make a conscious effort to stay low when I’m practicing, so I can get it ingrained in my subconscious.

I let myself get loose and flow through stage 4.  My hits got a little sloppy and I pulled a Mike on the first paper target (my second shot went wide left, but I didn’t call it).  I'm going to look at the numbers and run a few scenarios with different hits/time on this stage to see how the HF would have changed.

My classifier was going well until I bumped the safety on after my first WHO shot.  My high grip prevents me from using an ambi safety (I end up bumping it on when shooting freestyle and SHO), but that has never been a problem in the past.  From my estimation, that mistake knocked my classifier down from an 84.6% to a 67.2%.

As far as practice/training, I've either dry fired or live fired (or both) for the past 11 days straight.  I've also started running again.  I ran 3.2 miles yesterday at a faster pace than the 2.6 miles last Wednesday.  I think I'm going to pick up some of those agility cones to work on explosive movement and staying low, unless someone else has any better ideas.

Edited by TennJeep1618

• 2 weeks later...

I filmed some of my dry fire El Prez runs a couple days ago:

Speed mode, 3.5 second par time, simulated 8ish yards.

Self diagnosis: I think I'm doing a good job of getting my head around to the targets, getting my body turned, and getting the gun out and up quickly. It looks like I'm bringing the gun too far into my body during the reloads. It also looks like I'm not always watching the new magazine go into the gun. I also noticed myself cheating sometimes and not getting a full 2 trigger presses on each target before transitioning.

I'd love to get suggestions from anyone else, though.

Thanks!

Take this with a grain of salt because I am not a GM in any division ( I plan to be though :) ) and youre probably better than me but it looks like youre racing the clock in this video. Sometimes it looked like the gun stopped at 4 positions and was rushed to the last position to beat the second beep. TO ME 3.5 sec el prez is super fast but ONLY IF youre calling A's or close C's. It sort of looked like you were stopping the gun at a few spots (3 sometimes 4) then hitting a reload and doing it again. My advice is, look to a target and drive the dot to where youre looking,  then move on to the next. But stay honest with the shot calling.  If it were me and I wasnt calling good hits, Id dial it back until I could consistently hit them in the par time and work the time down from there. I enjoy watching your videos and follow you on Instagram, keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Shmella said:

Take this with a grain of salt because I am not a GM in any division ( I plan to be though :) ) and youre probably better than me but it looks like youre racing the clock in this video. Sometimes it looked like the gun stopped at 4 positions and was rushed to the last position to beat the second beep. TO ME 3.5 sec el prez is super fast but ONLY IF youre calling A's or close C's. It sort of looked like you were stopping the gun at a few spots (3 sometimes 4) then hitting a reload and doing it again. My advice is, look to a target and drive the dot to where youre looking,  then move on to the next. But stay honest with the shot calling.  If it were me and I wasnt calling good hits, Id dial it back until I could consistently hit them in the par time and work the time down from there. I enjoy watching your videos and follow you on Instagram, keep up the good work!

You are correct that I'm racing the clock, but mainly I'm just trying to finish the drill as quickly as possible.  I'm attempting to get faster by spending a lot of time practicing in Steve Anderson's "speed mode," so I'm just looking for flashy sight pictures (if the target appears in the glass, it's good enough) and getting two trigger presses on each target.  I'm just trying to get my body used to what it feels like to go that fast, and the more I do it, the more I'm seeing during each drill.  

I also do this drill some in "match mode" where I increase the par time (or just use a start beep with no par time) and make sure I get good shots on each target.  I think that's more along the lines of what you're thinking.  I definitely feel like match mode practice (at the end of every live and dry fire practice) keeps me ready for upcoming matches.  In the past I spent too much time only in speed mode and that ended up bleeding over into some matches.

After watching the video in slow motion, I see what you mean about sometimes stopping 4 times.  There are only 3 targets in the drill so I'm not sure why I did that.  Maybe I pulled off the first target after the first trigger pull, so I paused after a short movement to get in the second pull?  That's puzzling.  Thanks for noticing that.

22 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

You are correct that I'm racing the clock, but mainly I'm just trying to finish the drill as quickly as possible.  I'm attempting to get faster by spending a lot of time practicing in Steve Anderson's "speed mode," so I'm just looking for flashy sight pictures (if the target appears in the glass, it's good enough) and getting two trigger presses on each target.  I'm just trying to get my body used to what it feels like to go that fast, and the more I do it, the more I'm seeing during each drill.  

I also do this drill some in "match mode" where I increase the par time (or just use a start beep with no par time) and make sure I get good shots on each target.  I think that's more along the lines of what you're thinking.  I definitely feel like match mode practice (at the end of every live and dry fire practice) keeps me ready for upcoming matches.  In the past I spent too much time only in speed mode and that ended up bleeding over into some matches.

After watching the video in slow motion, I see what you mean about sometimes stopping 4 times.  There are only 3 targets in the drill so I'm not sure why I did that.  Maybe I pulled off the first target after the first trigger pull, so I paused after a short movement to get in the second pull?  That's puzzling.  Thanks for noticing that.

Ahh I see, Speed mode. I saw the reference but didnt make the connection. Do you have Ben's Dryfire book? I liked Anderson's but after reading and using Ben's I ditched Steve's. I just personally felt Ben's clicked more for me. Maybe I should go back and try reading steves again and see if I get more out of it.

1 minute ago, Shmella said:

Ahh I see, Speed mode. I saw the reference but didnt make the connection. Do you have Ben's Dryfire book? I liked Anderson's but after reading and using Ben's I ditched Steve's. I just personally felt Ben's clicked more for me. Maybe I should go back and try reading steves again and see if I get more out of it.

I do have Ben's book, but I haven't looked at it in a while.  Like you, maybe I need to get it back out and make sure I'm not missing anything.  

I filmed another dry fire session last night, but I had to cut it short because my fingers couldn't take it anymore.  I'm really surprised I don't have a couple black fingernails this morning.  I noticed that I was still having a little trouble with the transitions on El Prez after the turn.  You can see where I was really jerky sometimes and kinda swept through the targets other times, but overall I think it was an improvement over the last video.

I'm going to continue working on my transition speed.  I'm thinking I'll set a 5 or 6 second par time and just use two targets in wide transition, going back and forth, focusing on speed and efficiency while calling only good hits on each target.

Edited by TennJeep1618