Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignoring distraction

Hardball

This weekend during the shoot-offs I made it to the final round. Myself and another shooter in my class, B, were standing in the boxes and ready for the horn. I was focused and mentally clean when I gave the ready signal. I envisioned drawing my gun and hitting all eight poppers, making a mag change, then hitting the stop popper. I had it down in my head exactly how it would look as I transitioned from popper to popper, nodded for ready, and then it happened. One of the poppers fell from a gust of wind and I went directly into a panic. No clue why, but it happened. I felt as though I was sitting on a rocket that was stopped half a second from ignition. I was ready for the big bang, but it was stopped just before it went off. No problem. I stepped out of the back of the box with my hands on my head and just closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I let the breath out slowly and tried to clear my head of the panic/ holy crap feeling that I had going and it somewhat worked. By then, the RO had the popper standing and I mentally ran through the string of poppers again and gave ready. Just as the RO got to the phrase "Are you ready?" it fell again! Panic again. This time I tried exactly what I had done the first time, but it didn't work. I was still out of breath, and felt every beat of my heart as it pounded my chest in an attempt to tell me just to stop and sit down. I didn't. I went ahead and stepped back in the box and proceeded to give the ready nod. I tried to envision the string once more and the horn went. Mentally, I wasn't ready and proceeded to choke. I missed two poppers and had to pick them back up. I got to the stop popper almost in time, but the gentleman that I was shooting against had me by about a quarter of a second and I couldn't recover. SO, my question is this. When a range malfunction or something dumb like that happens, how do you deal with the disappointment/ holy crap/ sickening/etc. feelings that you get during something as "big" as that? Are there any techniques that any of you can share with all of us other shooters to deal with that? I am interested in hearing other's experiences as well that may be similar. Yes, Singlestack, I even said that I choked. I did. I swear I did....

Sounds a lot like a month ago, remember?  We were shooting at Orlando and the poppers would not fall.  It was so hard just to shoot them and keep on going.  

Sometimes, the peanut gallery gets on my nerves cutting up and talking loud when the buzzer is coming.

Is it possible to be trying to focus so intently, that any little distraction causes a major distraction or loss of focus?

Maybe, it would be better to just try to relax and just shoot it?

Hardball,

I've experienced both extremes. Anywhere from just some deep breathing keeping me calm, to almost overwhelming panic. Maybe it has something to do with how "serious" you are, just before shooting. (Serious could mean a lot of things. How much you "care," to name one.)

Anyone?

I've shot some great runs when circumstances prevented me from  my normal amount of caring. I remember rushing to the line of a Bianchi Practical (at an area-type match), and because all my concern was focused on if I would even get to shoot - I shot freely (and well).

be

Damn, wish I had stayed and watched the shoot-off's now.  Hardball is "serious", not that that is a bad thing, he just wants to win.  One thing to remember HB is that the feelings you were having, your competitor was having as well.  Turn it around and make yourself believe that it is an advantage for you that this was happening.  Challenge yourself in way like " Well lets just see who is stronger mentally now".  Because I can tell you the gentleman next to you was going through the same thing, he just handled it a little better.  Experience also helps, and the more you shoot, the more you can reflect from past experince and draw from the possitive.  But you have nothing to be disappointed about, 2nd is great!!

HB,

When we were talking after the SO, I thought you ment that you choked on the first shot and that is what threw you off. I never realized it was the popper falling down.

You damn near caught up! It was very close. You made a smoking mag change.......

I think some of it has to do with personality types and genetics. I don't panic anymore, but I do get frustrated and/or angry about things that I feel I should be able to influence. We need to pick the battles that we are going to fight. There is no way to fight a range failure because it is not reversable, predictable, or within your locus of control. The only thing that you can control is how you react. The easiest way to react is to just blow it off.  That's easier said than done.

I think Ron is right on the money.  If you don't have any ability to control something let it go.  I try to do this everday of my life, and some days it is definitely hard to do, but the payoff is tremendous.  The question I always ask myself is "What can I do about this?"  If the answer is "nothing" or "something I am not willing to do" I try to push the problem out of my conscious thoughts.  It doesn't always work for me, I am not that strong yet, but my stress levels are MUCH lower than they used to be.

-jhgtyre

How does the 'ol saying go? (Ok, I know this is highly "modified" from the original. :)

Give me the strength to change the things I can,

The courage to let go what I can't,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

be

It wasn't that the popper fell, per se, but more that I was right there in "the zone" ready to explode into the draw and it was like a car wreck. The unexpected slapped me in the face and I was totally unprepared for it. I got the "let down" and began to panic. Kind of like if you spent three hours filling out paperwork for a brand new Corvette, the excitement building the whole time, get the keys handed to you and proceed to drive it out of the driveway to get slammed into by a semi. Kind of a graphic example, but the feeling one would get from that would be close. The stress of being ready to explode into the draw and having to back off just overwhelmed me. I can't explain the panic but it was there. I know that if I would have asked to unload and show clear so that I could walk away for ten seconds I would have been fine. The process could have repeated itself and I would have been back in "the zone", but I didn't, I just went ahead and let the horn catch me unprepared and thinking. I think that is what the panic came from. As far as "caring" I do and I did. As Paul said I am a competitive person and feel that I should be on top of things no matter what. Winning is secondary and I have to say that I like to win, but I am eternally in search of that "perfect" run. I know it is in me, I just haven't learned to bring it out every time yet. When I do, I will be able to give Paul a run for his money. Open against Limited notwithstanding. We are, after all, human. Thanks to you Paul, BTW, for being one of the guys. We talked a bit about that at the Area 6 match. I have learned so much from you by just watching. Even when you were an A going M and especially when you were M going GM. It is appreciated from a shooter that doesn't want the current restrictions that he has keeping him in B class.

HB....well I am glad I could help, but about you giving me a run for my money,hmm, I'm game!!  No seriously you have come a long way, especially now that you have gotten over the hump.  Your in "B" class still?  Listen this summer I'm not going to shoot quite as many local matches but am going to pick the few I want to shoot and then train more.  I know you have asked me several times and a few other shooters have asked about me helping them.  So, mark your calander, the 3rd Sat. I am tentivley planning a training day with Pris and Pat and you are more than welcome to come out, we can make a day out of it.  Let me know.......

Sounds like a good thing to me. I will sure make the time. I appreciate your taking the time for us. I know that your training schedule has to suit your goals so I won't be invasive. I will be honored. Thanks a bunch