Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bump to Open

bret

in USPSA a Limited shooter goes to Chrono, his mags don't fit the Guage, he gets bumped to Open.

He is only classified in Limited, he is B Class.

What class would he be put into?

Rule or Rules to support answer.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, other-wise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

From the "Priciniples of USPSA Competition" section:

To receive an initial classification, a member needs to have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior to the monthly reclassification procedure.

By definition, a competitor without a classification is considered, "Unclassified", in that division.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

This may have been covered, but along the same theme:

Same situation as OP asked, but he is a PCC shooter and the gun does not make class.  A bump to OPEN I don't think would work.  So shoot for fun as in 6.2.5 ???

Edited by rhett45acp
stupid

They'd be in whatever class they're currently classified in Open, otherwise U if no present class.  (No specific additional rule, just the regular classification rules.  You can't make up a class for someone, there's no rule for that.) 

Edited by teros135

happened to a friend at a match yesterday, they bumped him to Open, B Class, the RM and MD said they would get back to him today about it, so they weren't even sure of it.

I thought it would be Unclassified, since he's only classified in Limited.

If you get bumped to Open you take on whatever you are currently classified as in Open division. If the shooter does not have a valid Open classification then they get set as Unclassified.

Edited by CHA-LEE

You are default as unclassified unless you have shot that division enough to get a classification. If I'm a GM in Open, doesn't mean I can start shooting revolver as a GM

Edited by Tdizle

1 hour ago, Tdizle said:

You are default as unclassified unless you have shot that division enough to get a classification. If I'm a GM in Open, doesn't mean I can start shooting revolver as a GM

Correct. You have to have shot enough classifiers with a revolver (whether you tanked them or not) to be classified. If you are a GM in Open, but tanked those classifiers so bad that you would be a D in Revo, it won't fly. Once classified in a division, you can only be classified 1 step below your highest classification....So, a GM in open can shoot D class scores in Revo, but he will still be classified as a Master...if you are't classified, you aren't classified...

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

wut? so you could maybe be eligible for a lame class 'win' if you get bumped to open for not paying attention? :wacko:

if you are in limited and get bumped to open, and win against guys shooting guns with comps, optics and larger magazines, what is lame about that?

Todd Jarrett got bumped from Limited to Open, he did pretty well.

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

wut? so you could maybe be eligible for a lame class 'win' if you get bumped to open for not paying attention? :wacko:

Because it you are going to get moved to open might as well shoot in a class, plus who doesn't like beating a bunch of open guys with your limited gun.

what's lame (imho) is caring about what class you're in and only worrying about beating people in that class. But if y'all care about it, that's cool. Some dudes dig fat chicks.

(I bet todd jarrett looked at the overall)

Edited by motosapiens

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

what's lame (imho) is caring about what class you're in and only worrying about beating people in that class. But if y'all care about it, that's cool. Some dudes dig fat chicks.

I wouldn't argue that overalls are not the most important stat, but you might as well have a gauge of how you competed with people at the same skill level.

4 minutes ago, Foxj66 said:

I wouldn't argue that overalls are not the most important stat, but you might as well have a gauge of how you competed with people at the same skill level.

I don't need to be classified in open to look at the open results (if i'm dumb enough to get bumped to open) and judge how I shot against other people who didn't practice enough to be classified higher. :cheers:

9 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Could you see yourself caring about class results, as you're making the climb with friends of yours?  Could you see yourself caring even a tiny bit if bragging rights or dinner were on the line?  For the most part, I've only cared about comparing my performance to my prior performance -- but during the two periods where this was the most fun, I was battling two different sets of friends for dominance of first C class in Production, and later for B class,

Did it matter who placed higher, since none of us were winning the division? Nope -- not at all, but it was a lot of fun.  And by competing against each other, we drove each other to improve....

13 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Could you see yourself caring about class results, as you're making the climb with friends of yours?  Could you see yourself caring even a tiny bit if bragging rights or dinner were on the line?  For the most part, I've only cared about comparing my performance to my prior performance -- but during the two periods where this was the most fun, I was battling two different sets of friends for dominance of first C class in Production, and later for B class,

Me personally? No, I couldn't see myself caring about class results. As I've been making that climb over the last few years, I have been competing for bragging rights against friends in different classes and even different divisions. Classification often lags behind match performance, so at times, the talent has been spread from B all the way to GM.

I do very much enjoy competing against friends, especially since they are also working hard to improve, but I don't much care what class they are in. Well, maybe a little. I do sometimes bust a few chops when I beat the M and GM guys.

But.... It doesn't bother me if other people care about class 'wins'.... much. lol.

The thing about class wins at major matches is the check that comes with it. You guys talked about Todd Jarrett earlier...remember he is a pro and his income is affected by his performance. Competing as unclassified is taking money out of his pocket. Typically they all compete as GMs, so it's not a huge thing, but why risk it?