Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New M&P 9L PC ported

rack&roll

I finally broke down and bought the new M&P 9L PC ported. I really like the gun, it's very accurate and the new triggers feel great! No need to Apex anything. Problem is...it works great with my KKM non-ported barrel, but has at least 4 or 5 jams per mag with the OEM ported barrel. AAA 115, 147 and my local reloader's 124's. It extracts and ejects the empty case but the next round gets hung half way into the chamber, at a slight upwards angle, with the next round in the mag slightly forward and touching the rear of the "almost" chambered bullet. I have to pull the mag to clear. 

Has anyone else experienced this with the new PC ported? Thanks for any feedback!

I run a 13# in my pro ported and no issues whatsoever. I have a combo of MG 124gr JHP jacketed and 125gr Ibeji coated on hand and both feed fine. I've even run some 100 gr truncated cone at 105 PF with an 11lb spring and no issues. Talk about flat shooting!

On September 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Any burrs on the bottom of the breechface or on the feed ramp or in the front portion of the chamber? Take a VERY fine look at everything.

WHS.  I never had that issue with mine, but I was talking to a guy in my squad after a match this weekend and when he first bought the gun, it had the same problem.  He did some light polishing on the feed ramp and the problem was solved.  Now he has several thousand rounds down the pipe without any problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a new M&P like yours.  It was doing the same thing with the jams.  My problem was the striker was not retracting fully and was catching the rim of the casing, not allowing it to come up to a level position to slide into the chamber.  I pulled the striker and the striker block, cleaned everything well.  Found a couple of very small metal shavings.  Gun is better now.  Only jammed once in the last 100 rounds.

On 9/21/2016 at 6:12 PM, B585 said:

WHS.  I never had that issue with mine, but I was talking to a guy in my squad after a match this weekend and when he first bought the gun, it had the same problem.  He did some light polishing on the feed ramp and the problem was solved.  Now he has several thousand rounds down the pipe without any problems.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:39 PM, Ruffian said:

I just bought a new M&P like yours.  It was doing the same thing with the jams.  My problem was the striker was not retracting fully and was catching the rim of the casing, not allowing it to come up to a level position to slide into the chamber.  I pulled the striker and the striker block, cleaned everything well.  Found a couple of very small metal shavings.  Gun is better now.  Only jammed once in the last 100 rounds.

I will try all of these and see what happens. I'm also gonna try a tungsten guide rod with a 13# ISMI recoil spring. Thanks for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I figured I would check the ENOs forums and sure enough - here it is. Only my issue is not a "3 point" - the nose of the bullet stops at the feed ramp and doesn't go any further.

The OEM ported barrel really hates the Xtreme 124FP and 124HP.    Of course, it does fine with RN. It even does well with the Bayou 150SWC.  

The jam occurs when I try to load the pistol from slide lock. As I mentioned, the maplat of the bullet stops at the feed ramp and no amount of tapping or shaking will help. I put the KKM barrel in and had better results, but one flat point did exhibit the same issue. Which has me thinking the barrel may not be dropping down far enough when it's unlocked. Without another pistol to compare it to, I don't have a measurement or reference to know how far the barrel should be dropping.  Rather than the barrel lug, I'm thinking something on the frame...

I had a 4" M&P a couple of years ago. I seem to remember them being boringly reliable.....