Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help getting faster

rustychev

I'm far from an expert (far!), but here's a drill... using your shot timer on a table, RUN 15-30ft and back. Slap the timer to register the stop time.

Variations ... run a square pattern moving hard in all four directions.

If you have a helper, have them start the timer and RUN to it. 

Add dry fire, reloads, etc.

Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat as you (but production) and have nearly identical shortcomings. (Transitions, movement, plus accuracy is still variable). 
 Adding motion to dry fire, forcing firing on entry and exit, getting the gun up on target sooner, etc has dropped dry fire times.  Also made a  40 yd distance on the range to run. 15' to the first shooting position, 15' to the second, then 30yards to the next. That last one needs to go around a corner with one target all the way around.  I'm still improving the range, but have been dropping times.  I also started doing flat out sprint reloads...which I currently suck at! Lol.

On 09/11/2016 at 6:07 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Just consciously during a stage tell yourself to RUN. When you are doing live fire practice, video yourself shooting a drill and wat vh how fast you are running. Shoot it again consciously telling yourself to run faster.

On 9/17/2016 at 2:18 PM, andrewtac said:

I'd practice sprinting and stopping.  Don't need your pistol to so this, if you don't have enough room.  Hold a bottle or anything up in position try one hand and two.  But starting and stopping as everyone has said should help with your time.

Maybe it's just me, but I have found there is not that much to gain by practicing stuff without a gun. I have been extremely athletic all my life, but trying to do things fast with a gun is totally different mentally.

Practice movement during dry fire. Draw site picture, reload, move site picture, reload, and repeat. do this moving different directions, move to the left right, move forward if you can move around a corner, move back wards forward, basically any direction you can think of that you'll move in a match. For a long time my dryfire reloads were fast but under the clock they still felt slow and that was because I never dry fired reloads on the move.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have found there is not that much to gain by practicing stuff without a gun. I have been extremely athletic all my life, but trying to do things fast with a gun is totally different mentally.

I agree 100% that nothing beats practice like you play.  I thought somewhere in the thread the op said it didn't have room to train with getting up to speed.  I assumed he was in an apartment or very limited backyard and couldn't train in the open with a firearm.  Looking at his video he looks to almost be walking between shooting positions.  It looks like he could use some sprint training, getting in out of positions, being explosive.  I'd carry something similar in size and weight and treat it like the real thing; if I had no where to practice this with a firearm.  I don't think we need to be athletes to run a stage well, as I have seen some big fellas effectively get in and out of shooting positions.  There are probably benefits though.  If you can run an Ironman, the 100 degree + with rediciulous humidity in the summer will affect you a ton less than someone who can't run more than a block.  The powerlifter who can pull 800lbs with a double overhand grip could probably shoot short barrel 44mag and make it look like the way a 22 runs for the rest of us.  Neither marathons or powerlifting is going to make or break it for us, but moving in and out of positions quickly and efficiently will.

If you want to be fast practice fast. Make it subconscious before you take it to a club match.

If you go to a match thinking speed it won't be pretty.

I have got stuck on a drill for 300 Rds just trying to get the hits and shave couple tenths.

On 9/19/2016 at 10:21 AM, motosapiens said:

This is an interesting point...I disagree insofar as I have been training footwork without a gun in hand recently - specifically explosive movement, entry/exit, etc., and I've seen a definitive improvement in my speed at matches...BUT agree insofar as when I train these things, I'm mentally working through the process as if I was holding the gun, I even air-gun a target on the wall, hold my hand in the appropriate position to not break the 180, etc.

I think what I gained the most value from, was taking the gun away, and looking at how I was entering exiting positions.  Analyzing where I was failing, where my feet were stepping wrong into position, where I was being lazy on exits etc, and working to correct it.  Getting to a point where I felt fast and explosive with the correct footwork, then putting the gun back in hand and trying to maintain what I was doing without it.   

Couldn't agree more with the last statement...working on focusing on movement, despite being focused so much on the firearm, is a challenge...one which, when mastered, can immediately elevate your game without your shooting ability changing at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 8:07 PM, rustychev said:

Well I have been working on keeping the gun up and moving with a perpos instead of walking and things went much better today still have some work to do but really that is never done.

https://youtu.be/mBOv5XgPjr0

Your movement is absolutely improved from the OP...Looking good!  A good indicator is that you're finishing your mag changes right as you're in the next position

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:22 AM, GorillaTactical said:

Your movement is absolutely improved from the OP...Looking good!  A good indicator is that you're finishing your mag changes right as you're in the next position

ya now if I could have just hit the star that would have been a great match

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 8:07 PM, rustychev said:

Well I have been working on keeping the gun up and moving with a perpos instead of walking and things went much better today still have some work to do but really that is never done.

You don't look like the same shooter!

On the second stage I would have shot the first array from right to left so I would finish in the direction my next array of targets.

Great shooting

I don't have any help for you, but watching that star brought back some painful/hilarious memories for me.  Hopefully you're able to laugh it off and get it right the next time.  Those things happen sometimes.  Not a horrible match though!  Good job

• 5 weeks later...

In thesecond video, it was an improvement. I think you can be more aggresssive on close targets. start moving before the last shot is fired on the close stuff.

Stage planning is another place. shooting across the bay may be slower than jamming in another reload somewhere. it means an extra transition and harder shots. 

Simplify your plans and do everything as fast as possible....except aiming

Try this in practice. Just run, pull the trigger, and reload. How fast can you complete the course with no regard to hits? The purpose here is to look for potential. Do it once for time. Then work on hits in the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
No problem. You primarily need to snap your eyes to the next target and drive your gun hard to it and run more aggressively.

Yeah, that's one thing in the video that kept popping in my head was that he was riding the sights with his eyes between targets making for mushy transitions.

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2016 at 6:07 PM, rustychev said:

Shoot the star starting at one of the top plates instead of the bottom ones and it won't spin as much 

31 minutes ago, Captiontom said:

Shoot the star starting at one of the top plates instead of the bottom ones and it won't spin as much 

Yep! I sing the song "Head, shoulders , knees and toes "when shooting a star

Have some more confidence in your shooting. Sounds like your hits are decent, call your shots and move on. It seems like you're either trying to score your target before you transition or are trying to get too much of a follow through. The star, well, we've all been there [emoji6].

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, Sarge said:

Yep! I sing the song "Head, shoulders , knees and toes "when shooting a star

Ya I try and shoot it top down after I missed the top right plate my brain turned to mush.  As soon as I shot the bottomed right one I know what I had done but to late.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:26 AM, rustychev said:

ya now if I could have just hit the star that would have been a great match

You hit the last two plates like chip shots.  Those plates on the star were the same.  Don't let the movement change that.