Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Conversion Barrel for a G35 - Worth It?

SWHlctx

I'm thinking about getting a 9mm conversion barrel for my G35 and have a couple of questions:

Is there an actual "conversion" barrel or will any 9mm barrel work? Is there anything else that needs to be done to convert it.

And the last one......Does a conversion barrel setup work (function) well in a G35? I've seen some post on other forum that indicated some folks were not happy with the outcome.

Experienced input would be welcomed.

SWH

There is an actually conversion barrel, 40-9 barrels have the same outside diameter as the OEM 40 and thicker walls. Reliability wise a 9mm ejector and mags would be optimal, but I've seen many run them with just the barrel only and have no issues. Back when I lived in California over 10 years ago, I ran a G22 for a long time with just such a setup at local matches using mostly beer can blazer ammo. I even had a G27 with a LWD 40-9 that had over 30K flawless shots fired out of it that way. I sold all my Glock 40s before I left CA and went all 9mm in WA.

1 hour ago, nadurra said:

I'm running a standard Glock 34 stormlake barrel in my Glock 35.  Excellent accuracy and reliability with 125gr precision bullets over 4.2 N320.  I realize that this is not a conversion barrel but works just fine with sub 2" accuracy at 25 yards.

You took a 34 barrel and put it in your 35 slide? Got any pictures? I can't see that functioning let alone being accurate 

On 9/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, nadurra said:

I'm running a standard Glock 34 stormlake barrel in my Glock 35.  Excellent accuracy and reliability with 125gr precision bullets over 4.2 N320.  I realize that this is not a conversion barrel but works just fine with sub 2" accuracy at 25 yards.

How does that work??? The 9mm barrel is .022" smaller in outside diameter and the breech face tab is .020" narrower than the 40S&W barrels. You have a conversion barrel.

Conversion barrels may, or may not work %100, without changing both the ejector (which only comes as part of the trigger housing) or the extractor or both along with 9mm mags. Depends on the barrel and your load. It's also not Production legal.

Edited by 9x45

On 9/14/2016 at 7:40 AM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Conversion barrels are great... I use one to shoot 9mm for IDPA, and switch back to .40 barrel for USPSA. Also, running a 34 barrel in a 35 works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I swapped a G17 OEM barrel into one of my G31's.  9mm barrel OD is .570", .357SIG barrel OD is .587". 9mm breech tab is .390" and the .357SIG tab is .425"   Guess it would work, but if it doesn't adversely affect function or accuracy, why do so many companies make conversion barrels? 

image37422.jpg

image37423.jpg

Edited by 9x45

On September 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM, 9x45 said:

OK, I swapped a G17 OEM barrel into one of my G31's.  9mm barrel OD is .570", .357SIG barrel OD is .587". 9mm breech tab is .390" and the .357SIG tab is .425"   Guess it would work, but if it doesn't adversely affect function or accuracy, why do so many companies make conversion barrels? 

That's what I was thinking, seems to work but for serious use (competition or fighting) it's probably worth just getting a true conversion barrel. Didn't know those existed prior to this, time to sell my spare barrels and get a conversion I guess. 

Yea, button rifling is tons easier to clean lead out than hammer forged barrels, especially because you can use the lead cocktail (%50 household white vinegar and %50 hydrogen peroxide) to dissolve the lead out with no effort on stainless barrels. Careful with OEM barrels as the cocktail can pit the bore. I didn't think anyone was still shooting lead with so many bullet casters offering the HiTek coating.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a KKM 40 to 9 barrel. I have KKM on a couple of my other guns. The first thing I noticed is the weight difference with conversion barrel. It is about half again thicker then the OEM barrel. Shot a couple of hundred rounds out of the 35 with conversation barrel with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, dogtired said:

If I could go back in time when I was just starting, G35 for Limited, Minor 40 for Production, 9mm conversion barrel for 3-gun

I agree.  But I think most of us that shoot Glocks still end up with 5 or more.  Gotta have a long slide, a compact for carry, etc etc.

One thing I hadn't considered is that you are allowed to use parts off of other Glocks in production, while a conversion barrel wouldn't be legal-I wonder if you would be able to use the barrel of a 34 on a 35 (assuming they work based on this thread). 

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters a whole lot.  I've shot .40 minor (35) and 9mm (34) in production this year, the difference is negligible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got the kkm conversation and it has been 100% reliable with no other alterations and factory 124 grain. I tried some reman 115 grain from great lakes ammo. Those did not work. I put the great Lakes in my glock 43 with no issues so there appears to be a need for a little more ass to run the big slide. I used this set up for a full season of IDPA, USPSA and 3 GUN with zero issues an accuracy is better than factory barrel. So 4000 rounds of speer lawman 124 grain 9mm and very happy. I will not be buying a 34.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:07 PM, Slow250 said:

I agree.  But I think most of us that shoot Glocks still end up with 5 or more.  Gotta have a long slide, a compact for carry, etc etc.

Even though the 34/35's aren't their cheapest models, they still aren't the most expensive things out there.  My thought is if you want another caliber, just buy another gun.  Speaking for myself, I can just see issues switching back and forth, such as bringing the wrong ammo, bringing the wrong barrel, mixing up ammo/mags, some of which can have dire consequences and some of which can just ruin a match.