Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 2011 - Must Have's and Nice to Have's

GorillaTactical

Hi Guys and Gals,

Brief Background:  After taking about 4-5 years off from shooting, I've gotten back into the sport - whereas I used to shoot almost exclusively 3 gun (usually outlaw rules), my plan is to focus on what was always the weakest part of my game; handgun...and thus I plan to shoot USPSA exclusively for the next year or so.  Now, I haven't picked up an official classification in the system yet, but after running a few classifiers over the last 2 weeks, results point toward a solid A in Production (currently shooting a Shadow).  After upgrading my U status in Prod, I'm really considering hopping over to Limited and shooting a 2011 platform, as it's likely what I'd move to if I ever got back into 3 Gun...All things considered, my goal is to achieve an M classification within the year, regardless if it's production or limited division that I end up shooting.  So with that said, onto the question...

The Question:  If I were to hop over to limited, my plan is to pick up a 2011 platform and shoot .40 major...that part's fairly straight forward I'd hope...but I don't know a heck of a lot about the intricacies of what the Must have's vs the Nice to have's are on a 2011 platform (even when I shot 3 Gun years ago, I shot a 9mm CZ).  I've shot a few 2011's a couple years back at the range to try and feel out the platform, but again, I'm looking for direction on what some ideal components/design features would be for a "buy once cry once" style build - something I really wouldn't need to mess with aside from tuning some of the finer points to my particular taste.  Now before someone says that there's no such thing as a "must-have" to be successful, let me say that I'm a big believer in shooter skill > gear...but I'm also all for setting myself up for success the first time around.  For example, is a sight tracker a must have or a nice to have?  The fin/thumb rest, 5" vs 5.5" vs 6", slide lightening milling, flat face trigger, Full length dust cover (I really like this look, personally), reloading setup (right now I just shoot factory 9mm in production as space constraints are a serious issue for a reloading setup), etc...where do these fall, what should I be looking for?  Now I'm considering a new purchase and also picking up something used from the classifieds section, so long as it's in decent enough shape.  My biggest thing is that I'm not really looking to wait 8-15 months for a custom build, I'd rather look for something close to ideal and pick it up second hand.

Appreciate the assist in advance, not too worried about budget for this at this point, more so looking for what I should be looking for and I'll then go back and allocate budget accordingly.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Ice magwell or bam magwell

Gunsmith trigger blank or svi insert trigger set up to proper length you

Mag button Dawson lopro or sti wing type depending on size of your hand

.100-110 fo sight, usually.180 high

For me those are must have items

Good fortune with your return

To add to that list, I like.
Dawson Posi-Lock mag release.

Then there's mags...
I use stock STI tubes, Grams guts, Dawson pads and tune them with the Dawson mag tuning kit.

For me, the "must have" list is basically an Edge type gun (5" bull barrel and long heavy dust cover, adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front) with a good trigger job and STI mags with aftermarket guts.  "Nice to have"...add an aggressively textured and undercut grip, lighter slide, SVI trigger with a flat shoe, a tool less guide rod, and MBX mags. I'm not especially picky about magwells.

Upgrade the grip and magwell.  I personally like the dawson ice.  As far as the grip goes just about anything is an upgrade from the factory STI one.  That thing is just about useless as far as I'm concerned.   Its just awful.  If your willing to spend the money go with a steel one.  I went from the extreme shooters DVC grip which I do like to a PT steel and its just amazing.

Since you already like CZs, why not consider a CZ 75 Tactical Sport.  It will definitely run with the 2011 crowd.  It will shoot flatter, because the slide is lighter and the axis of the bore is lower.  It will run right out of the box with a 2lb trigger. For $1100, it is a good deal and better than what you would get spending $2k on a 2011.  You can trick it out if you like.  $100 buys you a Cajun Gun Works smoothing and action tuning.  Add $60 for their 10X bushing and you have a tighter tack driver than original.  Figure $200 for four extended base pads and $50 for the fourth mag and you are set.

If you want a custom built pistol with no wait, check out Shooters Connection, Atlas Gun Works or CK Arms.   In stock and reasonably priced.

Instead of asking what everyone else thinks is nice to have, go to a shoot and look at what is there.  If you go to a big shoot, there will be vendor tents.

Personally, I went with a CZ TS for Limited, because I didn't want to wait.  I also felt I would not get sufficient value for the money spent by buying anything STI.  I don't regret the decision.  I had a second upper made for Open.  Along the way I acquired an older Custom Open gun in 40sw based on an STI frame and slide.  I like it.  I can't decide which I like better.  I'm going to keep both.  Aside from the different feel and things like that, the only real difference is the TS is not at all temperamental.  It runs clean, dirty or anything in between.  Buy a new mag and it works without tuning.  Cannot say that for the custom 2011 stuff.  Tweaking the 2011 is not hard, but you cannot buy something an just assume it will work right out of the box.

The only downside to the TS is there is not a lot of after market parts for it.  So if, for instance, you wanted to try 12 different magwells, it isn't going to happen with the TS.

Appreciate all the feedback, everyone!  Ended up going ahead and speaking to Adam at Atlas for one of his builds.  Pretty pumped.

7 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Upgrade the grip and magwell.  I personally like the dawson ice.  As far as the grip goes just about anything is an upgrade from the factory STI one.  That thing is just about useless as far as I'm concerned.   Its just awful.  If your willing to spend the money go with a steel one.  I went from the extreme shooters DVC grip which I do like to a PT steel and its just amazing.

Gonna do a steel grip with some aggressive texturing.  I've handled the plastic one's and they do indeed SUCK.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Since you already like CZs, why not consider a CZ 75 Tactical Sport.  

Certainly thought about it, but one of the things I hate about the CZ is the safety placement - I still think the Shadow/EAA guns are the best option for production guns, but really wanted to roll a 2011, not super concerned about the $ at this point, more about getting the buy once/cry once gun.

Edited by GorillaTactical

I like front cocking serrations or a cuts that work well for them.

Ice mag well or the CK one.

I like dawson base pads but a lot of people like the TTI ones because they don't pinch as easy. Also when you go to load ammo try some 200s I like them better with a light slide.

For me if you want the buy once state of the art limited gun it goes like this:

5.4inch

schumann or SVI island barrel (sight tracker)

butler cut with full length dust cover

thumb rest if you like it as an index point 

small slide racker ahead of the front sight

large magwell like w dawson ice

steel grip if you like the balance (the SVI ergo grip is hard to beat)

bomar type rear adjustable sight and fibre optic front

svi interchangable trigger setup

there is a gun in the 'show us SVI pictures' thread in basically this exact combination. I'd say it's about the perfect limited gun. 

40cal is the correct choice of calibre. 

With the island barrel and a tri top the slide is pretty light (big chunk removed for the barrel). 

Its what I'd build as a new limited gun. :)

This is the one I was talking about. All the mod cons.

sight tracker, butler cut, racker etc  

now a lot of those options are personal preference. For instance some people may prefer manipulating the slide without a racker. It does help with propping up the gun on table starts though. Same goes for thumb rest. Some like it, some don't. But the basic concept of a longer length (better sight radius) 2011 with a sight tracker design is arguably the right base platform to start with. And of course there's plenty of guys shooting and winning with basic 5 inch bushing barrel guns with none of the nice to have 'features'... The best bet is try a few setups and see what you like.

IMG_0839_zps6ku4weh1.jpg 

IMG_0837_zps7qrd0ujr.jpg