Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Classic Single Stack Reviews?

arnettcw1

14 hours ago, wav3rhythm said:

The firing pin might also be too long. Try grinding .35" off and see if it's still sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the guy who told me the Over travel screw on the trigger is just a set screw ha

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

The primer hitting the ejector is if you are ejecting a live round, hence why people always say to not roll the gun on its side and slowly pull the slide back to make the round fall into your hand like many always do. 

Also, S&B are absolutely one of the softest primers on the market. 11.5# hammer spring in a CZ sets them off all day (like 30k rounds). I totally agree on the other parts though, the firing pin channel especially. There shouldn't even be oil in there, as it can slow down the firing pin. 

Hmmm. I have a S&W 610 that gets light strikes with S&B's...throw some WSP at it and it lights them non stop...Same with a Ruger GP100 I have...light strikes with the S&B's, perfect with WSP's...

4 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

I've been using the S&B SPP for a few years now.

Personally I think they are softer than CCI but nowhere near as soft as Federal.

Agree. CCI, S&B, WSP, FED, in that order, hardest to softest.

Yea they aren't as soft as feds for sure, for me they have always acted exactly the same as WSP (ie, if it will pop Winchester then the SB will go too).

Either way though, they aren't a "rock hard" primer like was mentioned in this thread. Rock hard to me would be Tula, Wolf or magtech.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I have had my DVC Classic .40 for a few months now, Have shot in some local matches without a hick up . Shooting it in Area 7 due to the magazine restriction issues and came across an issue. I made a box to the USPSA specs and the gun doesn't fit . The Beaver Tail safety is app. 1/16 to long to fit the box. Anyone run into to this problem. after reading the thread Ill be scaling gun also tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Keepkool said:

I have had my DVC Classic .40 for a few months now, Have shot in some local matches without a hick up . Shooting it in Area 7 due to the magazine restriction issues and came across an issue. I made a box to the USPSA specs and the gun doesn't fit . The Beaver Tail safety is app. 1/16 to long to fit the box. Anyone run into to this problem. after reading the thread Ill be scaling gun also tomorrow. 

Interesting.  I never checked the dimensions of my Classic, only the weight.  I'll test it against the Area 7 box and report back with the results.

Also, the .40 bore is larger than the 9mm, so the difference may be enough for yours to make weight.

Check the weight last evening and found pistol and Tripp 10mm mag come in at  2lb 10.6 oz . The length of the gun is 1/16 to long to fin in the box that I made to exact specs . Took a little off the beaver tail so now she fits . Should I be concerned about the weight being so close or should I be looking to take some weight out . Shooting the perfect til in Single Stack in Area7 USPSA championship 

10 hours ago, Keepkool said:

Check the weight last evening and found pistol and Tripp 10mm mag come in at  2lb 10.6 oz . The length of the gun is 1/16 to long to fin in the box that I made to exact specs . Took a little off the beaver tail so now she fits . Should I be concerned about the weight being so close or should I be looking to take some weight out . Shooting the perfect til in Single Stack in Area7 USPSA championship 

To be safe I'd check it against a second digital scale, but if accurate, you've got a 0.4 oz margin.

I'm heading to the range tomorrow to check my Classic against the box we'll use for Area 7, and will report back whether my gun fits.

Edited by STIboy

• 1 month later...

FWIW - IPSC Alberta has a few shooters using the DVC Classic in 9mm and 40.  We haven't seen the 9mm guy out to many matches, but the 40 guy is at every match and is the current Canadian Classic champ.  

The day before he set off for the World Shoot he was experiencing a bad case of hammer follow at one of our qualifier matches on the stock trigger and springs (not altered).  As a suggestion to get him out of a bind, I offered that he take any internals he would like out of my Trojans and swap out his parts to get him running - His need to participate in the WS was much greater than my need to win a local qualifier.  Unfortunately, no parts out of my Trojans would fit, not even close.  Serious amounts of smithing would've been required.    

Most of us up here run primary and back-up guns in 9mm and 40 cal for Classic/Single Stack.  Thankfully all of mine are Trojans and fortunately for me, internals can be swapped between the primary and backups easily with full functionality and very little difference in operation (I don't notice anything). 

Unfortunately for him, his STI USPSA (back-up) and STI DVC (primary) are not interchangeable either.  So, as it stood, he had 1 operating gun for the WS and no ability to get parts for the DVC over night.     

IIRC - we added a little more spring-force to the left finger of the sear spring and the DVC ran like a champ for 250 rounds testing firing it at the end of the qualifier match.  He left for France, shot some amount of stages (not sure how many) before he had to change to his back-up gun for the remainder of the World Shoot.  I'm fairly confident that he was pretty annoyed that he spent $5000+ (CAD) on a gun that should've run flawlessly out of the box.  I'm pretty sure he had less than 10k rounds through the gun.      

Moral of the story - Don't assume you can swap parts between two STI models that are meant for the same purpose (Trojan to USPSA to DVC, vice versa) - not that anybody would (dumb Canadians eh). 

If you're crazy like us and "need" a back-up, then you might want to take this into consideration.  

My $0.02.       

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2017 at 12:25 AM, amish_rabbi said:

yep!

Mine is in 9mm and I am having feeding issues with some of my tripp mags, got a higher EGW mag catch which should fix it.

my dvc 9mm is having feeding issues with Tripp Cobras and Dawsons too, did the EGW mag catch fix the feeding issue you were having?

Just now, os2 said:

my dvc 9mm is having feeding issues with Tripp Cobras and Dawsons too, did the EGW mag catch fix the feeding issue you were having?

I tried different recoil spring weights and Aftec extractors still having occasional failures to return to battery, maybe once in a few hundred rounds

loading long about 1.15"