Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match updates during a match.

Ty Hamby

What methods are currently available to display updates during a major match and how is it all done. Techniques and equipment ideas is appreciated.  trying to figure out what equipment does our club need to buy to display live results and or end of session posting on outdoor displays. Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by Ty Hamby

I'm surprised no one has commented yet.

I'm not aware of a canned way to do this with Practiscore. If you have some programming skills I guess you could periodically pull scores from the scoring devices and build a web page(s) to display the results.

The data is there, just need to automate pulling it and parsing it. Not something currently in my skill set, but a few folks on here definitely have those skills and may already be doing it.

I manage scoring for several large matches a year. A display showing constantly updated results would be nice, but since I'm the only one managing all aspects of scoring, not sure how useful it would be given the work needed to set it up and troubleshoot if problems.

My work around is to have an ad hoc WiFi network with all scoring devices on that network. I pull scores back to a master devices about every 5 minutes. Then every half hour or so I post those results to Practiscore, so folks can use their phones to look at things.

It's a PITA but it works for USPSA matches. 

Hook up an AppleTV to a regular TV. Pull scores onto an iPad and mirror the display from the iPad to AppleTV.  Then use the Leader Board function in PractiScore. 

At the NC Sectional where we ran morning and afternoon squads I posted results after each session, each day. It wasn't real time but it was good enough.