Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34, Taran, Vogel, Warran Dawson, Sevigny sights...which for my application

soflarick

G34.  Used for steel, 3gun tactical irons, plinking, etc.  I have a set of Warrens on another firearm, and don't notice the lack of serrations, but I have not the experience to know if the rear sight serrations are a  benefit.  Since I am trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open, the scalloped edge of the Warren rear sight makes it difficult to focus for me.  The full, flat rear sight seems to make it easier to focus with both eyes open.  Since the G34 is used mostly for steel and 3gun, I'm not concerned with a 6 o'clock hold, or the traditional top of the front sight in line with half the bullseye.  There are so many options now, I would like some experienced advice.  I did notice some of the fiber optic front sights allow light underneath the fiber, creating a brighter front sight.

Thanks.  I wanted to show that I researched the topic before posting, and my intended purpose is important to the recommended use.

The Warren has performed well, but I'd like to see more light transmission from the front sight, and a full face rear sight with no additional fiber optic or tritium.

Edited by soflarick

Serrated vs. smooth sights are a personal preference.  Only way you'll know if you'll like them is to try them.  At your local matches I'm sure there are folks with all these different types of sights, see if you can take a look at them and try them out.

For the front sight I like Dawson.  They counterbore the fiber optic rod which seems to make for a brighter and crisper dot.  Also if you buy a Dawson set and don't like the POI they'll give you a new front sight height for free.

Tried them all, and they all have good and bad points.  Never liked the Dawson rears, his front sights are real good.  The Tarans are what I'm running now.  Most shooters say they hit a little high, he has a narrower rear for accuracy, he has the serrations and a nice square profile, they are made of stainless steel and coated so no rust worries.  The Vogel's are serrated, have a wide notch for speed, his coating is not that nice so they maybe prone to rusting, they also print high in a g34.   The warrens, you can get with the rear width either wide or narrow, no serrations and rounded corners, I don't  remember if you can get different front heights.  You could get just the Warren rear that you like and mate it with any Dawson front that you want.  If you go to Vogel's website he has a link that explains why he likes his sights to hit high, a good read.

I am going on this blind, as to other replies... However, I have to say the best sights I have found for the G34 are the Taran and next the Warren. Speaking from experience, I have spent more money on sights than the gun itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is.  You really don't notice.  Light bars are narrow, but still easy to pick up.  Frank Proctor has an article on this subject over on his website WAY of the GUN.  Seems he did some experiments with older shooters and they did just fine.  I have a + 3.5 diopter in my dominate eye and I pick up these sights just fine.  He has a unique set of sights too.

Sights are personal to your taste. I run Heinies black on black, wide cut rears to .180"  The Heinie front is .125" wide. I am going to try the Ameriglo Kyle Defoor set for $36, .115" front and .150" rear on my G31 for Limited Major. Should give the same aspect ratio as the wide cut Heinies.

If black/black front/rear sights are your choice.... between the options listed there isn't much if any difference other than personal preference.

However if a fiber optic front plain black rear is your choice the TTIs hands down are the better option. TTis fiber is set higher up the sight post and much easier/quicker to line up precision shots.

Not to be a wiseass.. just being practical : ) but asking what sights are best for ME (ie. YOU) for a certain application is like asking "Which kind of Rock music is best?" or "Which red wine will I like with lamb shank?"  You are going to be blue in the face by the time you hear everyone's opinion, and another guy will be happy to let you know what goes well with his palette, age, sexual orientation, covert tactical application or magical ability :). 

I have tried Dawsons, Sevigny, 10-8, Warren Tactical, Heinies, even Novaks.  I ended up with a Dawson adjustable black rear / black front.  I actually prefer narrow rear notches at .130 and narrow fronts.  Which goes against a lot of things people say.

In the end I can honestly say that it does not matter.  You may eventually develop a preference as you grow in experience, but you WILL get used to and grow to like ANY sight you choose to practice with.

A shooting buddy of mine made Master Class in GSSF with STOCK SIGHTS, and simply does not care, he really puts a lot of "gamers" to shame.

I assure you though.. if you want to put in the time and have the interest evaluating sights can be fun.  I did it for 2 years until I came to the conclusion above.

I don't think it will make a huge difference as long as you go for a .150" wide rear notch. Vogel, Sevigny, etc all do a .150" rear notch or have it available. 

Right now I use Sevigny's simply because 5+ years ago they were the one that checked all the boxes for me. I am running the .245 front and it hits lower than POA when under 25 yards, so I'd like to try a shorter front sight on my G34.

I've never heard of focusing on the rear sight sharply, but having serrations there would tell you if you focus has drifted to the rear.

• 1 month later...

I had the Dawsons and am very happy, that being said I am intrigued by the TTI. They seem to sit up slightly higher, maybe its just cause Vogel makes it look so easy, Idk LOL. But I think any of the popular ones would be just fine.