Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 musings... easier on shoulder/joints?

20 minutes ago, Phlier said:

Dry tumbled cases come out slightly slippery (at least mine do). Wet tumbled cases (with Dawn and Lemishine) come out squeaky clean. Squeaky, as in not slippery at all. That's why some guys are using the Armor All Wash n Wax car wash liquid now.

I didn't know this, thanks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So just an update, been loading on the 1050 - since my 550 is down and shipped out been doing some load development on the 1050... it's a bit more work but doable :).  Tried a few loads/powders with 230 LRN and found 3.8 of Clays was a nice, soft, very accurate plinking load that cycled stock spring'd 1911's with no issues, so loaded up about 750 of them the other night.  Tonight I worked up a few loads of ACME coated 200gr LSWC with varying loads of Bullseye from 4.0 - 5.0, going to try to do some range work tomorrow then settle in on another run of about 1000 or so of those.

Bonus, accidentally found some Federal Match Primers today at Gander while searching for some 10mm ammo, so picked up 1K.  Have plenty (well, you never really have enough I suppose) WLP's, but have heard really good things about the Federal Match and this is the first time I've seen them in stock in a while.

1050 sure does make fast work of it though lol.  Thanks to all who poked, prodded, and otherwise convinced me to take the plunge!

Edited by 78Staff

1 hour ago, 78Staff said:

So just an update, been loading on the 1050 - since my 550 is down and shipped out been doing some load development on the 1050... it's a bit more work but doable :).  Tried a few loads/powders with 230 LRN and found 3.8 of Clays was a nice, soft, very accurate plinking load that cycled stock spring'd 1911's with no issues, so loaded up about 750 of them the other night.  Tonight I worked up a few loads of ACME coated 200gr LSWC with varying loads of Bullseye from 4.0 - 5.0, going to try to do some range work tomorrow then settle in on another run of about 1000 or so of those.

Bonus, accidentally found some Federal Match Primers today at Gander while searching for some 10mm ammo, so picked up 1K.  Have plenty (well, you never really have enough I suppose) WLP's, but have heard really good things about the Federal Match and this is the first time I've seen them in stock in a while.

1050 sure does make fast work of it though lol.  Thanks to all who poked, prodded, and otherwise convinced me to take the plunge!

Great to hear you're enjoying the new press. :)

On 9/19/2016 at 10:20 PM, NicoR said:

The clear plastic tab is great. I also got every Level 10 Innovations upgrade available except for the primer catch kit and I regret that because the primer cup supplied with the 1050 sucks! 

And finally... the ergo handle. I had the one made by InLine Fabrication in my 650 and I loved it. BUT I don't know how big of an upgrade it would be over the standard 1050 handle which is already a roller one. I'm second guessing on that one as well.

NicoR, do you have the the Level 10 powder knob?  If so what do you think of it... 

6 hours ago, 78Staff said:

NicoR, do you have the the Level 10 powder knob?  If so what do you think of it... 

I don't have that one as I bought a micrometer kit from Uniquetek at the same time I got the press and all the upgrades, but I never installed it since because it is a PITA and is useless for me so I'll end up returning/selling it. I currently use the plastic knob that I had on my 650... you can find them on eBay in blue or black, I think Hit Factor Shooting Supply sells them. Honestly, I don't see the need for more than that... they are cheap and they perform!

This week I bought the spent primer system from Level 10, as well as their "upgraded primer push-down rod". I'll let you know how I like these as soon as I get my hands on them. Oh, I also bought this because I was having problems with primers not being fully seated in crappy brass: http://www.evergladesammo.com/ega-hold-down-die.html

16 minutes ago, Leadpilot said:

I've been waiting for few more reviews on this. Let us know how this works out for you.

I sure will!

The only thing I'm afraid of is the variability in case wall thickness of the mixed range brass that I use. I fear some cases will have a thicker base and will not allow the toolhead to reach its lowest point or, even worse, add unnecessary torsion to it in order to go low.

4 hours ago, NicoR said:

I don't have that one as I bought a micrometer kit from Uniquetek at the same time I got the press and all the upgrades, but I never installed it since because it is a PITA and is useless for me so I'll end up returning/selling it. I currently use the plastic knob that I had on my 650... you can find them on eBay in blue or black, I think Hit Factor Shooting Supply sells them. Honestly, I don't see the need for more than that... they are cheap and they perform!

This week I bought the spent primer system from Level 10, as well as their "upgraded primer push-down rod". I'll let you know how I like these as soon as I get my hands on them. Oh, I also bought this because I was having problems with primers not being fully seated in crappy brass: http://www.evergladesammo.com/ega-hold-down-die.html

I'm using a Hit Factor knob now - it keeps falling off though lol, maybe I got an out of spec one, I'll try one of the others.

I have the everglades die - like you since I used mixed brass I have it set to just kiss the brass when down...still experimenting with it but no issues so far.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:11 AM, 78Staff said:

Turns out Steve from Dillon sent me the modified 550 platform, so I didn't have to send the 550 in - so got it all back up and running, and ready to load some 10mm.   Never could find any brass so just ordered 1k from Starline, should be here sometime this week.  1050 is rolling along, probably loaded up about 2000 rounds this past week - some Clays under Lead and Bullseye under ACME Coated.  Probably load up another 2k or so then tackle a caliber conversion so I can start loading some 9mm on it.  The 1050 really makes you appreciate the RF-100 Primer filler lol.

7HTq3Xi.jpg