Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke my first Dillon part

So I have been reloading for about 6 years on two Dillon machines and this morning I broke my first part ever. I think that is pretty good, let's just hope it's not a trend starting.

f947bf386a32ff25f84e7391a7f82036.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

After six years, you should be getting into a "regularly unscheduled breakage period".

Now would be a good time to either :   1.  keep on hand a good supply of ammo, 

OR:                        2.  keep some spare parts on hand.

Isn't it great that all these parts will be FREE :bow:

Pretty sure those are in the spare parts kits.

My worst break was the crank on the 550.  I was also starting to get some slop in the press.  Dillon sent a new crank, arms, pins, everything.  I tore it down and rebuilt it in an evening.  They offered to refurb it if I wanted to send it in. 

the spare parts kit is well worth having. as the guys said dillon will still replace the broken parts you use out of the kit. think of it like $26 to ensure you don't suffer any downtime. it has pretty much all the commonly needed bits. 

I've got the maintenance kit which is $40. it includes the spare parts kit and the extra $14 gets you a big syringe full of dillon grease (looks like automotive high temp bearing grease) and fairly decent brush and a can of compressed air (air duster) all packed in a little case. I guess it's not bad. I use the grease as dillon directs (case slider, under station 1, some on the ram etc. I suppose the syringe would be a few $, tub of grease maybe $8-$10 so maybe it is worth getting...

That same part broke on my 650 a few weeks ago.  A quick phone call to Dillon resulted in two parts being mailed to me.  Honestly the best customer service that I can remember.  I have a spare parts kit and that piece was included, but I still waited for the replacement to arrive (called on Monday and arrived on Wednesday!) before using it again.

Good thing they sent two, because the replacement one promptly broke during first reloading session.  They were all very difficult to push up into the forked metal arm.  Upon closer inspection, the white plastic pieces are slightly wider at the top (apparently so they wont slip out of the forked arm) and are too wide at that point.  I used some 300 grit sandpaper to remove that ridge and it then easily went into the forked arm and has not popped out or broken since.

1 hour ago, dood91g said:

That same part broke on my 650 a few weeks ago.  A quick phone call to Dillon resulted in two parts being mailed to me.  Honestly the best customer service that I can remember.  

I had a die come apart on my 2 weeks new machine the week before last. Took a picture of it & they are still making me wait until they receive it (shipped on my nickel) and then either decide to repair or replace it, they estimated that it would be about a two week process.

Historically I had great service from them though.