Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Area 8 match Video Ontelaunee 2016

kirbinster

In the second stage of the video, how is it legal to hold the doors open with your foot? It appears from the video that the doors are outside shooting area boundaries (not touching the boundaries).   Can you post the WSB for the stage?

The doors are mounted to the wall which is in contact with the fault lines and are considered within the boundary. Don't have the WSB handy but the matchbook can be found on the area 8 webpage. I was more surprised by stage 14 where you could hold the rails or stand on the support rather than the flat board.

Both are covered under the same rule.  10.2.1

Since the components of both the wall/door combo and the "surf board" are mounted to and attached to fault lines they are all considered within the shooting area and can be touched and used for support.  While the "surf board" initially looks like it doesnt qualify, it would never pass an arbitration.

Edited by Dudambl

Both are covered under the same rule.  10.2.1

Since the components of both the wall/door combo and the "surf board" are mounted to and attached to fault lines they are all considered within the shooting area and can be touched and used for support.  While the "surf board" initially looks like it doesnt qualify, it would never pass an arbitration.

I agree, but I bet that was not the intention when they designed the surfboard. I know I have shot other matches where the WSB explicitly said you could not touched the "attached" rails.

Just now, kirbinster said:

I agree, but I bet that was not the intention when they designed the surfboard. I know I have shot other matches where the RSB explicitly said you could not touched the "attached" rails.

Indeed.  "Intent" is a dirty word for stage design.  I decided since the "Wobble Box" pretty well covers you not being able to operate outside of my "intent" I left the surf board out to be used as the competitor found best for them.

Indeed.  "Intent" is a dirty word for stage design.  I decided since the "Wobble Box" pretty well covers you not being able to operate outside of my "intent" I left the surf board out to be used as the competitor found best for them.

Are you who I think? If so you did an amazing job with the stages, some of the best I have even seen. Stage design is both art and science and George Jones drilled into my head much of the technical stuff when I became and RO.

38 minutes ago, Larus said:

Surprised to see .... Stage 4.... completely inverted targets. Are they legal? 

Yes. I cant find a rule that says they ae, but i did find a rule saying you cant do it with classic targets.

2.1.8.4 Scoring static Classic paper targets must not be presented at an angle greater than approximately 45 degrees from the vertical. No-shoot static Classic paper targets may be presented at any angle.

On 9/3/2016 at 11:30 PM, Kraj said:

Yes. I cant find a rule that says they ae, but i did find a rule saying you cant do it with classic targets.

2.1.8.4 Scoring static Classic paper targets must not be presented at an angle greater than approximately 45 degrees from the vertical. No-shoot static Classic paper targets may be presented at any angle.

My question now would be:

1. Are Classic and Metric Paper Targets subject to different rules as to presentation?

2. Would inverting the paper target be a violation of the 45 degree from vertical rule? Angles can go backwards, forward or sideways.

Just a point of clarification.

"Hanging Ninjas" using Metric targets are perfectly legal.  Not so with Classics since the A zone is not symmetrical.

I agree,  Great match and great stages.  It was also nice to have vendors available with stuff I needed.

Many thanks to Bill and Joe and the rest of the staff.

Area 8 was definitely a great match. It was very well run, had a great mix of stages that tested one's abilities, and lunch was by far the best grub I have had at a match. Great job by those that put it on. It was only the second match I have shot at ontelaunee and both were well done. If you haven't shot there before it's well worth the trip.

16 hours ago, Larus said:

My question now would be:

1. Are Classic and Metric Paper Targets subject to different rules as to presentation?

There is a rule about classic targets and not metric so I would say yes

2. Would inverting the paper target be a violation of the 45 degree from vertical rule? Angles can go backwards, forward or sideways.

I would think that you would have to turn it 180 degrees to get upside down. Illegal for classic, legal for metric

Just a point of clarification.

Thanks for the kind words folks.  My Team of staff did a fantastic job making my vision a reality.

I learned a lot from this match about how to make it even better for next year.

Dont worry about classic targets for next years match either.  I never liked them in the first place and staff hates scoring them more than you hate shooting at them.  one stage with them was too many.

BillD

6 hours ago, Dudambl said:

Thanks for the kind words folks.  My Team of staff did a fantastic job making my vision a reality.

I learned a lot from this match about how to make it even better for next year.

Yes they did.

Does this mean 2017 Area 8 will be held at Ontelaunee?  Yippee.

What are the dates?

Edited by mccurdy53