Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, how do I turn it on again?

Hardball

Over the past few months I have been going through what seems to be burn out. Frustrated with this, disgusted with that. (All aspects of my shooting.) So I went back to what I thought was going to help. The old single stack. After two lackluster performances with it, I wasn't really frustrated, nor burnt out, just going through the motions. I am having a hard time finding the excitement that I had as recently as 5 months ago. I am competitive to the point that I know I have to practice, so I do. I practice hard and I practice outside the comfort zone, but when I translate it to a match, I am almost lathargic with my shooting. I WANT to be fired up, I just don't know where the matches are to start the fire.  So, that leads me to this next question. Am I experiencing something that everyone goes through, or is this something that I have to deal with alone? I have a hard time sometimes, it seems, dealing with the mental "down time" and separating it from the times I should be fired up and moving mentally. Shooting has not lost it's importance to me, but it doesn't have the glitter that it had such a short time ago. What would you do if you were me? I have taken time off (2  months, practically.), I have changed routines, etc. Help me get juiced again......

I'd think back to the time when you were "fired up". What motivated you then? What caused your blood to flow? Was it the challenge of constant improvement? Shooting against certain "rivals"? The thrill of a new sport?

If you can identify what you miss the most about your shooting experience today, it might help you to get yourself back towards your old mindset.

I went through a slump a few years ago, and it took me a while to figure out that one big reason was that a shooter I absolutley detested had moved and quit coming to our local club matches .... I actually enjoyed getting fired up just so I could try and whip him - when the rivalry disappeared, so did my "edge".  Until I found a training partner, who gave me somebody to measure myself against and try to  "beat" again - its the competition for me.

What you need is a cool new set of grips!!!!(kidding)

One idea I had was consider traveling to a few club matches, like clubs you've never been to.  That "newness" may be the key to lighting a fire; maybe just a change of scenery is all you need.  It doesn't sound like burnout....cause you still practice and want to shoot.  But you lose it when you get to the match.  Sounds like maybe you're just bored with the local scene and need a change; new people to compete against.  I'm assuming a lot, but that's my 2p....

Hardball, you asked  "Am I experiencing something that everyone goes through, or is this something that I have to deal with alone?"  

Yes.   I believe many of us do go throught it.  And yes, I also believe you have to deal with it alone.

I think, too often we fret over the outcomes and forget to enjoy the shooting.  When practice becomes drudgery, instead of something we do to relax, it gets old.  Our ability with the gun is often a reflection of where we are in the journey.  Frustration comes when the trail doesn't lead us where we think we ought to go.  Forget about trying to get "somewhere" and just set your mind on being happy "being where you are".    There is a time for pedaling hard and also a time to put our feet up on the handlebars and go WHEEEEEEE!!! all the way down the hill.  Just watch kids at play.  Big boys with loud toys...... that's all we are.   :)

I taught guitar lessons for 10 years, and was always very careful to make sure my students understood the difference between practicing guitar and playing guitar.

Playing guitar is jamming, noodling, playing along with BB King, and just generally having fun.

Practicing guitar is memorizing scales, doing finger excercises, running difficult chord changes, repeating specific skills.

The thing is, playing guitar is more fun than practicing guitar, but if you don't practice guitar, you won't have as much fun playing guitar...because you'll suck.

However, if you don't "Jam out" every once in awhile, you won't enjoy the benefits of all your practice.

What made you want to be a good shooter?

Get back in touch with that, and give yourself a reason to improve.

Furthermore,

I would suggest a .22, a thousand rounds, and some pop cans, watermelons, cantelopes and water jugs.

That sounds like fun to me.

Good Luck,

SA

Blues, right? With keys and harp, almost gotta be.

Seriously, blues and any improvised music has a lot in common with shooting as we understand it here. You have to study, practice and learn, but when it's your turn to solo you can't be thinking about what scale to use or what key you're in...you just play.

Maybe Brian could phone in some chants/vocals/inspirational raps.

SA