Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gutted rifle buffer

optimator

On 9/3/2016 at 5:10 PM, optimator said:

How are you guys getting the end of the buffer out? I knocked out the roll pin and tried pliers. But it was so tight that I was afraid of damaging it. Any ideas?

I stick a thin blade screw driver between the aluminum buffer and the plastic end and pry around the circumference.  After I get it separated about an 1/8"  or so i can pull the plastic end out by hand.

Easy; Remove the retaining pin. Place the buffer into a 2 ft piece of PVC with the ID the same as the OD of the buffer. Holding the PVC pipe vertical bonce it off the floor 3 to 5 times hard. should come out

You can gut out your buffer and that will help.......I would recommend a reduced recoil spring.

One thing people do overlook when they do these mods is the return to battery with the lightened set up. We can adjust the speed of the system with the adjustable gas.......but what can bite you is the secondary impulse.....which can tend to go up when you lighten everything up. Going with a reduced recoil spring of 10% will help allot......going down 20% can help allot more.

Tim

2 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

You can gut out your buffer and that will help.......I would recommend a reduced recoil spring.

One thing people do overlook when they do these mods is the return to battery with the lightened set up. We can adjust the speed of the system with the adjustable gas.......but what can bite you is the secondary impulse.....which can tend to go up when you lighten everything up. Going with a reduced recoil spring of 10% will help allot......going down 20% can help allot more.

Tim

I just ordered your ALW recoil system along with your enhanced rifle spring. The build is complete :cheers:

Add a comp, adj gas block, LW bolt, 10% reduce power buffer spring  and empty your buffer. Adjust your gun so it locks open on a empty mag + 1/2 turn for reliability cold weather. Brass is ejecting 2 o'clock rifle is over gassed you cannot turn the gas down or the bolt will not lock back. Question add some weight back to the buffer 

On September 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM, TRUBL said:

Tim

What do you mean by secondary impulse?

i must be thinking about this incorrectly.  How does a reduced power buffer spring help the bolt return to battery?  Intuitively a standard buffer spring would put more pressure on the BCG pushing it into battery.  What's going on in the system that I'm missing?

Is the lighter buffer causing the BCG to bounce?

I think he is referring to tuning / dampening  the forward motion of the BCG striping cartridge from magazine chambering locking bolt into battery.

there is movement transferred from bolt locking / forward motion BCG.  ........   Aka perceived recoil, muzzle movement,  refill...muzzle flip...

Many will tune the reward motion of BCG.....  Few will tune forward motion of BCG!!!   Think minimum forward energy to strip cartridge and lock bolt........

Edited by biglou13

13 hours ago, CharlieD said:

What do you mean by secondary impulse?

i must be thinking about this incorrectly.  How does a reduced power buffer spring help the bolt return to battery?  Intuitively a standard buffer spring would put more pressure on the BCG pushing it into battery.  What's going on in the system that I'm missing?

Is the lighter buffer causing the BCG to bounce?

Your speed.....going back into battery will increase when you lighten up the entire mass (BCG, buffer) when using the stock buffer spring. That along with the fact that not only is the AR over gassed, it's over sprung.....allows you to go with a less powerful spring (as long as you can pick up the 1st round on a full 30 round magazine).

The lighter buffer does not cause bolt bounce......the speed that it goes back into battery can. FYI......all semi-auto's have bolt bounce. But you can't pull the trigger fast enough to lock it up. Unless you can do 900 rounds a minute (.066 split time). NOW......bolt bounce can be a factor if the bolt to carrier friction does not allow the bolt to go back into battery......I tend to run one piece gas rings in my bolts. JP makes an awesome one!!

Empty buffer; need Help in diagnosing  why? Using a carbine buffer tube  mid length gas system. With the gas block adjusted and  a Empty carbine Buffer the  brass is flying forward ( Not 3 o'clock). Changing only the buffer to a standard weight  3 oz.carbine buffer. The brass now ejects 3 o'clock.   

Yea was going to start that again, Carbine Empty buffer is at 1 1/2 turns out to bolt locking  back, and a 1/2 turn extra for reliability.Not much to work with. It seems that it might be about (tuning the buffer weight to each rifle) much like JP silent sys. Add or subtract weight till every thing is working as best it can = a compromise.