Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite optic for PCC

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, Bwillis said:

Are you able to compare the 512T to a 510c? I have a 510c lying around and I'm considering following Max Leograndis and switching to a 512, but I haven't handled it yet. 

29 minutes ago, SwedishMoose said:

Are you able to compare the 512T to a 510c? I have a 510c lying around and I'm considering following Max Leograndis and switching to a 512, but I haven't handled it yet. 

I have both the 510c and the 512c.  I like both, but would give a slight nod to the 510c for normal use and to the 512c for use in the rain.  The only issue for me is using the 510c is that with the open emitter I get multiple dots, like 8 or 10,  when rain hits it.

9 hours ago, SwedishMoose said:

electronics and display are the same. For the climate I live in (always a chance of rain) I prefer to have the 512. If I lived in a dry climate I would probably shoot the 512 over the 510.  Another advantage to the 512 is the back emitter won’t reflect on the front screen if the sun hits it. I haven’t found any disadvantages to using the 512 over the 510.

AEDFE3D8-9FE3-4C2F-9F45-2D9FAC7A034F.jpeg

44967EEA-E4FF-4489-826B-AA556A2C0BDA.jpeg

Edited by Bwillis
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Vortex Venom 2moa on a UTG riser, the ultimate budget set up.  I had a C-more on it but moved that to an open gun.  I really like the minimal profile as I can shoot both eyes open and the dot just seems to follow my head with the gun mounted. (that is the best way I can describe it).  The sight body is invisible.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:12 AM, Bwillis said:

electronics and display are the same. For the climate I live in (always a chance of rain) I prefer to have the 512. If I lived in a dry climate I would probably shoot the 512 over the 510.  Another advantage to the 512 is the back emitter won’t reflect on the front screen if the sun hits it. I haven’t found any disadvantages to using the 512 over the 510.

That good thing to know on the 512. I have a 510 at exactly the same conditions above and the dot washed out so bad I turned on the laser to shoot. Does the 512 'tunnel vision' a little bit or is it just as airy as the 510? 

Love the Holosuns; have the 403 and and 510 and they are fantastic. I personally run the circle-dot. 

Edited by balmo
On 1/26/2020 at 6:47 AM, dogtired said:

Certain brains will shut off the input from the non dominant eye while others have better binocular vision.

I had a terrible time when I first started shooting pcc with cross dominance. I would constantly shoot high left with both eyes open. It took about a year of shooting to retrain the brain to use the right eye. Now I can snap up the pcc and hold on a target and close the left eye and not have the dot shift. I can also shoot my red dot pistols with both eyes open. Doubt I will ever be able to shoot a pistol with iron sights with both eyes open but for any thing with a dot it just takes pushing through the initial problems and retraining your brain.

10 hours ago, balmo said:

That good thing to know on the 512. I have a 510 at exactly the same conditions above and the dot washed out so bad I turned on the laser to shoot. Does the 512 'tunnel vision' a little bit or is it just as airy as the 510? 

Love the Holosuns; have the 403 and and 510 and they are fantastic. I personally run the circle-dot. 

When I’m shooting the 512 I don’t notice the housing. If I’m just looking down the 512 not shooting, I notice the housing. The 510 with shroud removed definitely has more of a cmore on steroid type feel when looking thru. It’s going to be preference. 

I chose the 512 for the enclosed housing. If you look at the 10 day forecast in my area 6 days have chance of rain 4 don’t. Also in sunny conditions I haven’t had glare or for wash out with the 512 or 510. With the 510 indoor or really sunny I would get the emitter reflection but very rare. 

1CC45D61-1147-4BC5-8EF2-75D5491C4EB8.png

• 4 weeks later...

First off I want to be clear both UH-1’s were replaced with brand new units by Vortex. However:

•Both UH-1’s developed the same left right shifting of the sight body in relation to the mount @ the front of the unit.
•This is part of the design function of the windage adjustment in the unit and is spring loaded
• My units lost 90% of their spring tension after about 20K rounds fired on each unit (sig MPX’s) and were exhibiting a 6” shot dispersion on a target when shooting controlled pairs at full speed 
•Re-tightening the QD tension will help for a little bit (30-100 rounds) but it will go back to being loose
•The first warranty replacement was seamless Tec stated shifting was bad and unit was defective
•Second unit with the exact same problem / symptoms was difficult, Tec instead the shifting was normal and unit was OK, had to argue a bit on why the first unit sent in 1 week prior with the same issues was “Bad” and this one was “Good”
•Removed all UH-1’s from my competition and practice MPX’s I don’t trust them
•I am monitoring my 2 UH-1’s on AR’s ( one has lost 20% of its tension so far compared to the other) but I simply don’t shoot the volume on them that I do the MPX’s

Not bagging on Vortex just sharing my experience.

I have moved to Sig Romeo 8T's 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:12 AM, Bwillis said:

I don't have either but plan to purchase the 510 or the 512.  One disadvantage of the 512 I see is the mount.  From what I've read, the 510c has a decent QD.  The 512 doesn't.