Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Nemesis Lead

Favorite optic for PCC

Recommended Posts

not sure if you can see apple heir files don't know how to make them jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

Anyway, the holosun 510c is great and dot is as clear as c-more 4 moa dot... will use it this week and report back

Share this post


Link to post

I shot the steel match, last weekend with a red 510c on 10/22, and a green 510c on my Buckmark. Being a little color blind, I really thought that I would have problems seeing the green one. I knew that if I had problems seeing the red one that I could put on my red shooting glasses, to be able to see the red.

I shot the first stage with clear glasses, and with the bright sunlight, I could barely see either one, on the white steel.

 I put my red glasses on, and OMG I actually had to turn the green one down a little.

Optics Planet was running a sale, but I could only afford to buy one more green one. I pulled the red one off my 10/22, and put it on one of my MPXs. I thought about putting the new, green one on, but I thought that with the green laser, I would probably be confused if I had them both turned on. We’ll see how it works out, but I think that it’s going to be faster, with the larger viewing area because I’m right handed, and have a left dominant eye so I have to tape the left lens, on my glasses and see everything THROUGH the optic.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, RH45 said:

I’m right handed, and have a left dominant eye so I have to tape the left lens, on my glasses and see everything THROUGH the optic.

 

Hm, I'm also right handed with left dominant eye. However I think this is pretty optimal with a red dot. I pick up the dot with my right eye but focus on the targets with my left. I thought that was how it supposed to work. Works with both rifle and pistol with red dot. Isn't this how it's supposed to work - to pick up the dot with the indirect vision and focus on the targets?

 

With iron sights I have to squint my left eye on rifle and on pistol I position the gun so the sights line up with my left eye.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mrd said:

 

Hm, I'm also right handed with left dominant eye. However I think this is pretty optimal with a red dot. I pick up the dot with my right eye but focus on the targets with my left. I thought that was how it supposed to work. Works with both rifle and pistol with red dot. Isn't this how it's supposed to work - to pick up the dot with the indirect vision and focus on the targets?

 

With iron sights I have to squint my left eye on rifle and on pistol I position the gun so the sights line up with my left eye.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for me. If I don't tape my left lens, my left eye is so much stronger, it's like I'm looking down the left side of the gun. If I switch to left handed, I can keep both eyes open, and even if I'm not actually seeing through the optic, as long as my right eye sees the dot, it's transposed on to the target through my left eye. I SHOULD have switched to shooting left handed 45 years ago, but, I'm not going to change now.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also left-eye dominant and right-handed when shooting pistols, but I've done so much long gun stuff since youth that I just squint my left eye and use my right with a rifle/carbine.  Sometimes both eyes and just superimposing the red dot, depending on what I'm doing.  But also makes me quite comfortable switching to opposite shoulder since my left/dominant eye feels right at home.

 

Another red dot candidate that I'll put forward and don't see much here about is the Sig Romeo3.  For those who like a more 'uncluttered'/less tunnel-vision peripheral view with non-tube reflex sights like an RMR or a C-More, the Romeo3 has a slightly larger and more round window like the C-More, but isn't as bulky so it's a bit lighter and more flexible with positioning.

 

image.png.c47c5f8a74da12d10098337b406436c6.png

 

 

The included riser mount puts it right at that lower-1/3 height that many of us like so much.  The dot is 3 MOA but seems closer to 4-5 MOA, and there's more brightness range than with a C-More.  The quick release clamp holds and releases great.  And again, that round window just feels very natural as you're picking things up quickly.  The two-tone color scheme may turn some off aesthetically, but it really does make a very good carbine red dot that's fast and keeps your overall gun profile sleek.

 

They're coming out with a 'Max" (Michel) version that is black and has a larger-window version too, but substantially more $$.

Edited by MoRivera

Share this post


Link to post

I really like the Vortex Venom 6moa, I tried a 510c and the reticle was just to busy for me. I like a simple dot and the 6moa is quick and easy to pick up. I have it mounted on a Vortex qd riser.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I'm also left-eye dominant and right-handed when shooting pistols, but I've done so much long gun stuff since youth that I just squint my left eye and use my right with a rifle/carbine.  Sometimes both eyes and just superimposing the red dot, depending on what I'm doing.  But also makes me quite comfortable switching to opposite shoulder since my left/dominant eye feels right at home.

 

Another red dot candidate that I'll put forward and don't see much here about is the Sig Romeo3.  For those who like a more 'uncluttered'/less tunnel-vision peripheral view with non-tube reflex sights like an RMR or a C-More, the Romeo3 has a slightly larger and more round window like the C-More, but isn't as bulky so it's a bit lighter and more flexible with positioning.

 

image.png.c47c5f8a74da12d10098337b406436c6.png

 

 

The included riser mount puts it right at that lower-1/3 height that many of us like so much.  The dot is 3 MOA but seems closer to 4-5 MOA, and there's more brightness range than with a C-More.  The quick release clamp holds and releases great.  And again, that round window just feels very natural as you're picking things up quickly.  The two-tone color scheme may turn some off aesthetically, but it really does make a very good carbine red dot that's fast and keeps your overall gun profile sleek.

 

They're coming out with a 'Max" (Michel) version that is black and has a larger-window version too, but substantially more $$.

I had a Romeo 3, and liked the size of the viewing area, but, like the original, Romeo 1, with 3 MOA dot, they weren’t bright enough for me to see, in the bright sunlight. I put Romeo 1s, with the 6 MOA dot, on both of my Xfives, and I don’t have any problems seeing them, even with clear glasses, and bright sunlight 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow that's surprising because I know mine gets plenty bright for sunny days.  Maybe mine's a later manufacture for something.  My C-More's by comparison are just visible enough fully cranked.  For me though, nothing beats an etched black reticle on sunny days like on the 1X Primary Arms Cyclops that I have on my 5.56.  Focused to my eye which is nice (have to wear corrective lenses for distance when using red dot), but granted it still feels more like a scope than red dot.

Edited by MoRivera

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Wow that's surprising because I know mine gets plenty bright for sunny days.  Maybe mine's a later manufacture for something.  My C-More's by comparison are just visible enough fully cranked.  For me though, nothing beats an etched black reticle on sunny days like on the 1X Primary Arms Cyclops that I have on my 5.56.  Focused to my eye which is nice (have to wear corrective lenses for distance when using red dot), but granted it still feels more like a scope than red dot.

I was running a C-more on one MPX, and an OKO on the other. Neither are nearly as bright as the Romeo 1s, with the 6 MOA dot. Outside, they were always cranked all the way up, but, I had to wear my red glasses to see the dot unless it was really overcast.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I'm also left-eye dominant and right-handed when shooting pistols, but I've done so much long gun stuff since youth that I just squint my left eye and use my right with a rifle/carbine.  Sometimes both eyes and just superimposing the red dot, depending on what I'm doing.  But also makes me quite comfortable switching to opposite shoulder since my left/dominant eye feels right at home.

 

Another red dot candidate that I'll put forward and don't see much here about is the Sig Romeo3.  For those who like a more 'uncluttered'/less tunnel-vision peripheral view with non-tube reflex sights like an RMR or a C-More, the Romeo3 has a slightly larger and more round window like the C-More, but isn't as bulky so it's a bit lighter and more flexible with positioning.

 

image.png.c47c5f8a74da12d10098337b406436c6.png

 

 

The included riser mount puts it right at that lower-1/3 height that many of us like so much.  The dot is 3 MOA but seems closer to 4-5 MOA, and there's more brightness range than with a C-More.  The quick release clamp holds and releases great.  And again, that round window just feels very natural as you're picking things up quickly.  The two-tone color scheme may turn some off aesthetically, but it really does make a very good carbine red dot that's fast and keeps your overall gun profile sleek.

 

They're coming out with a 'Max" (Michel) version that is black and has a larger-window version too, but substantially more $$.

 

I'm with ya. Love my Romeo 3 on PCC

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RH45 said:

I was running a C-more on one MPX, and an OKO on the other. Neither are nearly as bright as the Romeo 1s, with the 6 MOA dot. Outside, they were always cranked all the way up, but, I had to wear my red glasses to see the dot unless it was really overcast.

Romeo 1 has a pretty good sized window too.  I like reflex sights on PCC's I use for competition because I feel less tunnel-vision.  But for my all-around/defensive long guns, they're tube-type red dots for durability et al.  Yeah when I shoot in bright sun with a red dot like the Venom on my pistol, I'm always surprised just how much I have to crank the dot.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, NateTSU said:

I have a Trijicon MRO, It's light weight tough as nails and uses the same batteries as my other scopes.

I too like the ruggedness of the MRO sight!  

 

Share this post


Link to post

Got a Holosun 503GU Elite (green circle dot) and loved it on my Ruger PCC for steel challenge. Then brought it to a rifle/PCC match, USPSA like stages with longer shots out to 50-75-135 yards for PCC and up to 350 for AR-15s. Was going great on a stage, three shots three hits at 115-135 yards and was running over to the rest of the stage where there were typical USPSA barriers and targets from 5 yards to 30 yards when the green dot went blank. Unfortunately the base was solid, so I couldn’t see the irons. Total disaster. Went over to the berm safety area with a new battery, thinking mine was dead, when it shouldn’t be since the whole set up was still pretty new. Lo and behold the circle dot was there but it was on the dimmest setting. Cranked it back up and finished the remaining two stages.  What happened? The stage was filmed and my hands never went anywhere near the brightness controls. The PCC didn’t get banged into anything either. The darn thing just arbitrarily went dim. A week or two later went ahead and moved my MRO over to the PCC and put the Holosun on an AR I rarely use. Very disappointed. Haven’t shot the MRO yet, but will miss the Holosun. The circle was great for CQB phases and the center dot was great for the long range stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Got a Holosun 503GU Elite (green circle dot) and loved it on my Ruger PCC for steel challenge. Then brought it to a rifle/PCC match, USPSA like stages with longer shots out to 50-75-135 yards for PCC and up to 350 for AR-15s. Was going great on a stage, three shots three hits at 115-135 yards and was running over to the rest of the stage where there were typical USPSA barriers and targets from 5 yards to 30 yards when the green dot went blank. Unfortunately the base was solid, so I couldn’t see the irons. Total disaster. Went over to the berm safety area with a new battery, thinking mine was dead, when it shouldn’t be since the whole set up was still pretty new. Lo and behold the circle dot was there but it was on the dimmest setting. Cranked it back up and finished the remaining two stages.  What happened? The stage was filmed and my hands never went anywhere near the brightness controls. The PCC didn’t get banged into anything either. The darn thing just arbitrarily went dim. A week or two later went ahead and moved my MRO over to the PCC and put the Holosun on an AR I rarely use. Very disappointed. Haven’t shot the MRO yet, but will miss the Holosun. The circle was great for CQB phases and the center dot was great for the long range stuff. 

I had the same problem with my Holosun 507C.  I sent it back for repair/replacement, and haven't had any further issues.

Share this post


Link to post

vortex venom on YHM 1/2" riser has replaced the earlier vortex SPARCII

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Les Snyder said:

vortex venom on YHM 1/2" riser has replaced the earlier vortex SPARCII

A venom on a 1/2" riser is what I have been using.  Light and easy to "pop" that dot on a target.

Share this post


Link to post

I always find it a bit strange when guys mention smaller-lensed optics being more “tube-like” or optics with larger windows having much better FOV or when manufacturers advertise such... I mean to a certain extent I get it, because casually that would seem to make sense and be the case, but actually it’s just an illusion (besides maybe a larger-windowed optic being easier to get behind or more forgiving because of where it’s mounted).

Shooting both eyes open, FOV should basically be unlimited regardless of window size (if the glass is good quality), and the optic’s housing should “disappear” like one’s nose on their face does when one looks hard to the sides...

I recently switched from a 510C (30mm window) to an Aimpoint micro-sized Holosun (20mm window) and haven’t noticed a difference at all (if anything, in my particular case I’ve actually picked up speed because I could mount the smaller sight better for me and closer to the bore).

Share this post


Link to post

I really like the Sig Romeo 3 line of optics for PCC. I currently have the original R3s on my PCC. The grey housing truly seems to disappear. The dot is plenty bright and window size is plenty big.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, ck1 said:

I always find it a bit strange when guys mention smaller-lensed optics being more “tube-like” or optics with larger windows having much better FOV or when manufacturers advertise such... I mean to a certain extent I get it, because casually that would seem to make sense and be the case, but actually it’s just an illusion (besides maybe a larger-windowed optic being easier to get behind or more forgiving because of where it’s mounted).

Shooting both eyes open, FOV should basically be unlimited regardless of window size (if the glass is good quality), and the optic’s housing should “disappear” like one’s nose on their face does when one looks hard to the sides...

I recently switched from a 510C (30mm window) to an Aimpoint micro-sized Holosun (20mm window) and haven’t noticed a difference at all (if anything, in my particular case I’ve actually picked up speed because I could mount the smaller sight better for me and closer to the bore).

For people that shoot the same hand, as their dominant eye, with a rifle/carbine, it really shouldn’t matter, but for those of us that put tape on the lens, of their glasses, because of cross dominance, and HAVE to look through the optic, bigger is better!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, RH45 said:

For people that shoot the same hand, as their dominant eye, with a rifle/carbine, it really shouldn’t matter, but for those of us that put tape on the lens, of their glasses, because of cross dominance, and HAVE to look through the optic, bigger is better!


I’d say take that tape off, regardless of the cross eye dominance... just use both eyes open and put the dot in front of whatever eye is in-line with the bore. Keep both eyes open and your brain does the rest. It’s like a lot of us shooting weak side get used to,  the dot in the wrong eye doesn’t really matter, the rounds land on the dot either way... focus on the target and the dot is there.

Being cross-eye-dominant arguably could be a plus, because both eyes open your “best” eye isn’t looking through lenses with a dot/1X style optic...

Edited by ck1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RH45 said:

For people that shoot the same hand, as their dominant eye, with a rifle/carbine, it really shouldn’t matter, but for those of us that put tape on the lens, of their glasses, because of cross dominance, and HAVE to look through the optic, bigger is better!

 

I disagree. I am cross-dominant, right hand shooter and left eye dominant. 

 

With red dots I think there is no disadvantage, being cross dominant, it might even work in our favor. I shoot with both eyes open and use my dominant eye for target focus, my right eye picks up the dot and superimposes it on the target. I don't even have to remove the front cap from the red dot sight to shoot, but of course I get better FOV if I do.  

 

Bigger window is just an advantage in very awkward situations with rifle or with pistols where sloppy index can make you lose the dot. 

Edited by mrd

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, mrd said:

 

I disagree. I am cross-dominant, right hand shooter and left eye dominant. 

 

With red dots I think there is no disadvantage, being cross dominant, it might even work in our favor. I shoot with both eyes open and use my dominant eye for target focus, my right eye picks up the dot and superimposes it on the target. I don't even have to remove the front cap from the red dot sight to shoot, but of course I get better FOV if I do.  

 

Bigger window is just an advantage in very awkward situations with rifle or with pistols where sloppy index can make you lose the dot. 

That doesn’t work for my eyes. If I don’t put tape on my left lens(shooting right handed) all I see is like looking down the left side of the gun.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, RH45 said:

That doesn’t work for my eyes. If I don’t put tape on my left lens(shooting right handed) all I see is like looking down the left side of the gun.

Sorry to hear it. Seems there are different levels of cross dominance. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...