Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite optic for PCC

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, JAustin316 said:

I currently use a LCO but am looking at getting a Vortex Spitfire because I have an astigmatism and want to give something that won’t bloom on me a try. 

My friend couldn't use a normal red dot with his glasses.  The Vortex Spitfire fixed that for him.

43 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

My friend couldn't use a normal red dot with his glasses.  The Vortex Spitfire fixed that for him.

That’s great news! For years I’ve just dealt with the bloom but I figure if I can try something to see the dot like it’s supposed to seen why not give that a try? Eotech is HORRIBLE for me. I see one large cloud instead of a dot and circle

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or is the beloved Holosun 510 just not that bright?  (Yes, I have it on the correct mode)  Compared to an Aimpoint micro or RTS2 mine is significantly dimmer, and not just because of the larger dot on the RTS2.  I haven't heard anybody talking about this issue so wondering if it might just be my unit?  I live in the desert so it has gotta be bright to work.   

Edited by Neomet
30 minutes ago, Neomet said:

Is it just me or is the beloved Holosun 510 just not that bright?  (Yes, I have it on the correct mode)  Compared to an Aimpoint micro or RTS2 it mine is significantly dimmer, and not just because of the larger dot on the RTS2.  I haven't heard anybody talking about this issue so wondering if it might just be my unit?  I live in the desert so it has gotta be bright to work.   

Yea one of the reasons I use the UH-1..all LED diode's are not created equal and do dimm over time combined with the quality of the circuits,the inharant draw and the Open lens...I have some Jpoints that are the same way jut not as bright as they used to be ...

On 5/28/2019 at 11:06 PM, Neomet said:

Is it just me or is the beloved Holosun 510 just not that bright?  (Yes, I have it on the correct mode)  Compared to an Aimpoint micro or RTS2 mine is significantly dimmer, and not just because of the larger dot on the RTS2.  I haven't heard anybody talking about this issue so wondering if it might just be my unit?  I live in the desert so it has gotta be bright to work.   

All 3 of mine are intensely bright.   Are you sure you have a battery in it?   They don't ship installed, but the sight will run on its internal capacitors. 

23 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

All 3 of mine are intensely bright.   Are you sure you have a battery in it?   They don't ship installed, but the sight will run on its internal capacitors. 

Multiple batteries tried. When you say intensely do you mean like Aimpoint bright?

I've never used an Aimpoint, but I have never considered any of my Holosun red dots (I have about a dozen) to be dim by any means.   They are by far the brightest red dots I have or have used.  I often have to manually dim them, even in broad daylight. 

On 5/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Neomet said:

My 510Cs have been to your range a few times. They were plenty bright. Even on the training bays in the morning... 😉

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

My 510Cs have been to your range a few times. They were plenty bright. Even on the training bays in the morning... 😉

Those should be mandatory testing grounds for anyone making an optic!  

On 6/1/2019 at 7:08 PM, Agrippa said:

The 510c is just as bright as my Eoech.

One thing that did throw me off is the battery is installed upside down 

Yes, my 510c is plenty bright, in fact i have to run it below the full brightness setting even in full sunlight.  And, yes again, the upside down battery was a surprise.  If i hadn't read the instruction folder I would have installed it "normally" and been wrong.

I live in AZ where there is plenty of bright sunshine. The one thing I have noticed with the Holosun solar optics is that they were obviously designed to shoot inside at a target inside or outside at a target outside. Standing indoors and pointing it out the window and you can’t see the circle dot at all because it is illuminating based on the inside ambient light. I know it doesn’t come up often in shooting sports but something to consider. I have a 9mm SBR with the circle dot solar and a .22 SBR with just the battery dot. If there had been a circle dot battery as cheap as the solar one I bought I probably would have gotten that. 

Lee

7 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

I live in AZ where there is plenty of bright sunshine. The one thing I have noticed with the Holosun solar optics is that they were obviously designed to shoot inside at a target inside or outside at a target outside. Standing indoors and pointing it out the window and you can’t see the circle dot at all because it is illuminating based on the inside ambient light. I know it doesn’t come up often in shooting sports but something to consider. I have a 9mm SBR with the circle dot solar and a .22 SBR with just the battery dot. If there had been a circle dot battery as cheap as the solar one I bought I probably would have gotten that. 

Lee

Yes, that's a real problem, much like what can happen when using an ACOG.  And I've dealt with this at something even as simple as a Steel Challenge match.  Had shot 3 or 4 stages with the HS510c, when I got to the stage where we shot under cover out into the sun-lit target area.  Suddenly noticed my dot wasn't very visible.  Hadn't realized I was running in solar cell mode until then.  Had to switch over to battery just to make it work.

As long as you can switch between battery and solar, no big deal, but if you're limited to illumination based on where you're standing rather than where you're aiming, there can be an issue.

It isn't so much battery vs solar as it is auto adjust vs manual adjust.   The sight is completely capable of running in all modes without a battery installed as long as it has received enough sunlight to charge the internal supetcapacitors. 

Not all Holosun models support running in all modes without internal power, however.  Not all can run dot only in auto mode. 

14 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

My 503c only allows the 3 reticle types (circle/dot, circle, dot) in battery mode, not solar mode.

The older designs only allow different reticles in manual mode, like my 515, 503 and 502's, but my 507's and 510's allow all reticle in either auto or manual modes.