Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite optic for PCC

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, RAVAGE88 said:

Anyone here have any experience with the Leupold LCO?

MB

Yes--I love it.  Great field of view.  Very clear glass.  1 MOA dot, but when you turn up the brightness, it really stands out (very bright).  Easy to mount and zero.  Great controls.  No extra mount needed.  Lower 1/3 cowitness height which is great.  Great battery life.

Downsides. 

Expensive.  Not the lightest option.  More parallax than I would like (really only the EO Techs are great here in my experience).

Edited by Nemesis Lead
added point
11 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Yes--I love it.  Great field of view.  Very clear glass.  1 MOA dot, but when you turn up the brightness, it really stands out (very bright).  Easy to mount and zero.  Great controls.  No extra mount needed.  Lower 1/3 cowitness height which is great.  Great battery life.

Downsides. 

Expensive.  Not the lightest option.  More parallax than I would like (really only the EO Techs are great here in my experience).

Thanks Nemesis, great info. What would you say is the distance at which you really start to notice the parallax issue?

MB

11 minutes ago, RAVAGE88 said:

Thanks Nemesis, great info. What would you say is the distance at which you really start to notice the parallax issue?

MB

You can see parallax on any optic.  Take your optic off your rifle and put it on your kitchen counter.  Line the dot up with a small target.

Now take your hands off the optic so it just sits on the kitchen counter and cannot move.  Move your head around and look through the optic.  Push the dot to the edges of the glass.  You will see that the dot moves around and may actually come off the target.  Of course, the optic and target are not moving, so what you are seeing is parallax error.

It sounds terrible, but it is not as important as one might think.  So long as your eye is directly behind the optic, you will never have an issue.

But when you are in awkward positions and your eye is not directly behind the optic.....parallax error comes into play.

These guys studied this and found that EO Techs were the best for reducing parallax error.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

Again (before anyone jumps all over me)......the only way this would affect you is if your eye was significantly out of position behind the optic.  You will look through your optic and say "whoa this optic is crap" but will rarely be forced into weird positions where this comes into play.

Edited by Nemesis Lead
52 minutes ago, Nemesis Lead said:

You can see parallax on any optic.  Take your optic off your rifle and put it on your kitchen counter.  Line the dot up with a small target.

Now take your hands off the optic so it just sits on the kitchen counter and cannot move.  Move your head around and look through the optic.  Push the dot to the edges of the glass.  You will see that the dot moves around and may actually come off the target.  Of course, the optic and target are not moving, so what you are seeing is parallax error.

It sounds terrible, but it is not as important as one might think.  So long as your eye is directly behind the optic, you will never have an issue.

But when you are in awkward positions and your eye is not directly behind the optic.....parallax error comes into play.

These guys studied this and found that EO Techs were the best for reducing parallax error.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

Again (before anyone jumps all over me)......the only way this would affect you is if your eye was significantly out of position behind the optic.  You will look through your optic and say "whoa this optic is crap" but will rarely be forced into weird positions where this comes into play.

Yep, you're correct, but anything below 10X is fixed (fixed or variable power) at the factory to be optimal at a specific distance. Typically, anything above 10X is adjustable by the user via side or objective focus.  In regards to the LCO, have you noticed a minimum distance where the parallax is worse, or, maybe a better way to answer that is, have you noticed any issues on closer targets while running your PCC, rifle, whatever, using the LCO? Is it any worse than any other 1X red dot you may have used?

Thanks,

MB

59 minutes ago, RAVAGE88 said:

Yep, you're correct, but anything below 10X is fixed (fixed or variable power) at the factory to be optimal at a specific distance. Typically, anything above 10X is adjustable by the user via side or objective focus.  In regards to the LCO, have you noticed a minimum distance where the parallax is worse, or, maybe a better way to answer that is, have you noticed any issues on closer targets while running your PCC, rifle, whatever, using the LCO? Is it any worse than any other 1X red dot you may have used?

Thanks,

MB

If I line up a target at 25 yards and move my head so that the dot moves closer to the edge of the optic.......the dot moves 2 to 3 inches off target.

I have not done more experimenting than that.

1 minute ago, Nemesis Lead said:

If I line up a target at 25 yards and move my head so that the dot moves closer to the edge of the optic.......the dot moves 2 to 3 inches off target.

I have not done more experimenting than that.

Thanks, Nemesis, much appreciated.

MB

I run Holosun 515s on my Kriss and Scorpion SBRs, and I had one on my 9mm PCC, but the 2 MOA dot didn't work for steel challenge, and the circle dot wasn't my thing.  Tried a few different C-Mores and ended up with an 8 MOA aluminum on the PCC.  Works fantastic for steel challenge and falling plate matches, and it's fairly rugged.  I know that, because I didn't lock the lever on my ADM QD mount and the C-more fell off the rifle and landed on the only rock within 50 feet of me.  Grabbed it, threw it back on the rifle, and finished the stage with no misses.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:17 PM, alvinsmith75 said:

Best kept secret!

You are right!   Shot it tonight and it is awesome.  Wide FOV, crisp and clear.  The circle dot is fast with precision in the dot when needed.  Nice bore offset at 10yds and under with the bottom of the circle  / hash mark spot on.   The next PCC will also have one!

31 minutes ago, LtdShooter said:

You are right!   Shot it tonight and it is awesome.  Wide FOV, crisp and clear.  The circle dot is fast with precision in the dot when needed.  Nice bore offset at 10yds and under with the bottom of the circle  / hash mark spot on.   The next PCC will also have one!

This weekend I actually pulled the hood off of the optic and shot it without it. I think I'm a keep it that way. I really liked it. And I do not need that titanium protective cover over my optic because I'm not throwing it in any barrels LOL

On 7/15/2018 at 5:24 AM, Bryamill said:

Hi, I just picked up a new PSA AR9 and I’m looking for an optic. From reading through this post, specifically the recent posts, I’m floating between the c-more railway and Holosun 510c. From what I can gather, the c-more loses zero sometimes? I’m leaning towards the Holosun, but wanted to gather some opinions before purchasing either. There is a ton of information out there, but not really finding a direct comparison.

I guess my ultimate question is, if I go with the Holosun, are there some major advantages that I’ll be missing by skipping the c-more? The c-more seems to be the popular choice in Open and PCC, but I don’t see a good reason to not go with the Holosun at this point. Thoughts?

I’ve been running c-mores since the mid 90’s, and if they lose zero or have a wandering zero  it’s usually because lock screws were over tightened and they cracked the body.  

26 minutes ago, rishii said:

I’ve been running c-mores since the mid 90’s, and if they lose zero or have a wandering zero  it’s usually because lock screws were over tightened and they cracked the body.  

Yep, that or the little teeth on the cup tip of the lock screw have gotten worn.

6 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

Yep, that or the little teeth on the cup tip of the lock screw have gotten worn.

34 minutes ago, rishii said:

The aluminum body c-more seem to hold their zero much better than plastic version. 

@Bryamill the Holsosun is tougher than the CMore (smack the hood of a C-more hard on something...)

Both have similarly impressive fields of view, although Holosun’s might be even wider than a C-more’s.

I highly prefer the Holisun circle-dot reticle.

The Holosun will easily go all season on a single battery. It will also shut itself off sitting in a cart or bag and magcially turn itself on when you pick the gun up; we all leave ours on all day long at a match and never touch the brightness or power.

The Holosun 510C is just better, if you don’t already have a C-more lying around

17 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Bryamill the Holsosun is tougher than the CMore (smack the hood of a C-more hard on something...)

Both have similarly impressive fields of view, although Holosun’s might be even wider than a C-more’s.

I highly prefer the Holisun circle-dot reticle.

The Holosun will easily go all season on a single battery. It will also shut itself off sitting in a cart or bag and magcially turn itself on when you pick the gun up; we all leave ours on all day long at a match and never touch the brightness or power.

The Holosun 510C is just better, if you don’t already have a C-more lying around

Appreciate the feedback! I ordered the 510C and I should be trying it out Sunday. 

I had a Cmore RTS2 on my PCC...changed it out for a Holosun 510C... I found the RTS2 red dot would wash out in bright sun... the Holosun 510C brightness is adjustable... really prefer the larger window too..  the on/off controls are much easier to operate also..   

Optics Planet had the best price by far... on the 510C … use chat and ask if they have a special on the 510C... last order I placed with Optics Planet they sent me a $50.00 coupon which I was able to use on their already discounted price... 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, Blurryvisions said:

What do you like about the triangle and why only for PCC? I had one on an open gun but it did something to my brain so I had to go back to the dot haha

Not sure but I like the triangle. 

Maybe because It is different.  I am used to small moa dots for rifles and the such but with the PCC it just seems like a CQB shredding machine, and coupled with the "large" size of the reticle with the triangle it makes target acquisition super easy.  But if I do need to take a "precision" shot then the tip of the triangle works for that.  And if it is a slightly further out shot I can use the bottom of the triangle.  I haven't shot it at distance for a while so I don't recall what yardage the bottom equates to.

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Due to astigmatism I need a prismatic sight and like etched reticles just in case of battery failure.  Anyone using a Bushnell Lil P?

I use a Primary Arms 1x Cyclops Prism on one of my 5.56's that I shoot multigun with, and it's great.  The perfect combination of medium-range precision and quick close up shots.  I use it when shooting irons on pistol without eye correction because the front sight is in focus with my normal vision, but distance falls away pretty quickly.  The 1x Prism has a focusable diopter, so I can focus it to my normal, uncorrected vision for distance, and it's a literal tack driver.

When I shoot just PCC or a carry-optics pistol, I wear my correctives and go with a normal red dot.  The prism scope's illumination doesn't quite get as bright as a red dot, but for most normal daylight conditions the black etched reticle works better anyway.  Once you get indoors or light starts to fade the illumination is plenty.

Edited by MoRivera