Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75 SP-01 in production USPSA

mikeinctown

Most places south and west of me are or were IDPA, but I found some places an hour or two east that are USPSA and checked out a match yesterday. I want to start competing.

The three guns I have that I'd likely want to use are a P226 Combat 9mm, Sig 1911 tacops .45, and a 75 SP-01 9mm. I figure the CZ is my softest shoooter and is on the list for production so that will probably be the one. I plan on ordering some parts from CGW but don't know for sure what is legal and not. 

Do I order the competition package with the stock replacement competition hammer, and then the 10x bushing, steel guide rod, and the spring tuner kit?

Based on my understanding of the rules in production, All the parts on the competition package should be legal, including the hammer as long as it is available factory on a different approved gun from the same MFG. I'm unsure though if the competition package comes with the reach reduction trigger package and if that would be legal or not in production.

Last, since production is apparently limited to 10 rounds in the magazine, does it make sense to buy the more expensive SP-01 magazines, or just go with cheaper 10 or 14 round mags with basepads?

Sorry for what may seem like dumb questions, but I'd rather do things right the first time and not screw up.

I don't know the rules for swapping parts well enough to be certain, so I'll avoid  that question, but as for your mags -

Yeah, there is no reason to spend more on higher capacity magazines if they are for shooting Production only.  I shoot a SP-01 as well and have a box full of 10 round mags.  I have a couple standard capacity magazines as well that I use for other things (e.g. tactical classes, 3 gun) but the 10 rounders are fine for USPSA.

Call Cajun and ask for a Production legal trigger kit.

The stock CZ 16 round magazine is $17, add a $15 basepad and you should be good to go.  The Mec Gar mags are high quality and many prefer them to the CZ branded mags.  Since I live in CO I would suggest buying the 16+ mags while you can.

anything inside the gun is fair game to replace. sights are ok, grips are ok. guide rods are fine. Just make sure you dont add more than 2oz of weight to the weight on the approved production gun list. 

Are you replaceing a bushing with a bushing or are you adding a bushing? Im not that familiar with czs

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Production rules starts on page 79

Much appreciated so far, and thank you clangclang and dogtired about the Mag advice. The OEM mags are like $50 a pop plus the basepads. If I can get lower round count OEM ones (or the Mecgar) for $20 and then add the basepads, I'd be feeling a lot better about buying extras.

Get the 17 rd Mec Gar mags. One warning if you also replace the grips, check the weight of your gun. I can't put base pads on my mags because it would put my 85C over the weight limit.

I would get the CZC hammer, all the springs and whatnot, and the 10X bushing.

37 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I would get the CZC hammer, all the springs and whatnot, and the 10X bushing.

The 10X bushing makes the gun illegal as it is an "external" modification as it can be seen. That being said at a local Level 1 match no one is going to check or care.

18 minutes ago, tanks said:

The 10X bushing makes the gun illegal as it is an "external" modification as it can be seen. That being said at a local Level 1 match no one is going to check or care.

I'm a newb but this surprised me.  Is it because it is considered part of the barrel?  Is an aftermarket recoil spring illegal as well?  Guide rods are considered internal but can be seen on CZ's.  go figure.

Edited by HSLPCZ

14 minutes ago, tanks said:

That is not true. The question has been asked by someone here directly to DNROI, and it was deemed legal.

I got the 17 round MecGar AFC mags, from Ben Stoeger though, they work very well in my 75B with the stock base pads. The larger Shockbottle type pads make sense, but I am a cheap ass and didn't want to pay nearly the cost of a mag for the base pads.

CGW website says, "CGW 10X barrel bushings for the .550″ diameter heavy barrel SP-01’s – Shadow, SP-01 manual safety and SP-01 Tactical in 9mm and .40 S&W.  Also fits 75B in .40."   Don't believe it will fit a standard SP01 in 9mm.  Also, believe the USPSA Production Legal comment applies only to the SP-01 Shadow, and SP-01 Tactical.  If you have an SP-01, it may fit (with minor fitting).  I would ask either CGWs (doubt they would steer you wrong), and/or ask NROI about legality of part in standard 9mm SP-01.

16 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

CGW website says, "CGW 10X barrel bushings for the .550″ diameter heavy barrel SP-01’s – Shadow, SP-01 manual safety and SP-01 Tactical in 9mm and .40 S&W.  Also fits 75B in .40."   Don't believe it will fit a standard SP01 in 9mm.  Also, believe the USPSA Production Legal comment applies only to the SP-01 Shadow, and SP-01 Tactical.  If you have an SP-01, it may fit (with minor fitting).  I would ask either CGWs (doubt they would steer you wrong), and/or ask NROI about legality of part in standard 9mm SP-01.

??? All SP-01s have the same 0.550" diameter barrel. Only the normal CZ75s have 0.500" diameter barrels.

1 hour ago, GeneBray said:

The rules sometimes are so messed up, however parts made by aftermarket companies to replace internal factory parts are legal. I know originally with IDPA anyway that the accu shadow was not legal because CZC was machining and installing a bushing. However, this just appears to replace what the factory already has in place, but with tighter tolerances. (no machine work)

Which CZC hammer would I go with, if not the CGW "production legal" hammer?

44 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

CZC only has one hammer IIRC. You just need the one that fits the SP-01. CGW doesn't actually make a production legal hammer I don't think. They sell the production legal hammer, but it is a CZC hammer. I would just buy everything from CGW if you can.

This is correct. The production legal hammer that CGW sells IS the CZC Competition hammer. 

On August 30, 2016 at 11:05 AM, SlvrDragon50 said:

??? All SP-01s have the same 0.550" diameter barrel. Only the normal CZ75s have 0.500" diameter barrels.

bt.  Never measured by barrel diameter.  Just wonder why the CGW site would list two specific SP-01 models if the bushing would fit all SP-01s.  Just seems strange to me.  When in doubt check with both the vendor and NROI on what is right and go with NROI.  And, question what is obviously wrong from both.