Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got to looking at Zak Smith's Ti Commander. Ive been thinking about getting a single stack carry/home defense gun for a little while. I currently have a G35 for home defense but its a little to big for a carry gun.

A few things i would want different on the gun would be:

- Using the Caspian Ti Recon Rail frame instead of the reg Ti frame. Might be a litte bit more bulk and a bit more weight, but would still be lighter than a steel framed gun.

- Chambering it in 40S&W instead of 45ACP. I think 40 is the way to go. I don't see any reason to go back in technology. I think the 40 can do everything the 45 could do and more.

What do you guys think?

I've been thinking about the same thing.

How much does a Ti framed Commander weigh?

.40 seems like a good way to go, I am having a .40 CCO built, which will be 8+1 but Officer's size, what'snot to like.

Can teh Ti Frames be checkered by hand?

Zak Smith was saying that it weighs halfway between a steel frame and an aluminum frame. But w/ the addition of the Recon rail its prob gonna weigh about the same as a steel frame.

Im sure you can checker the frame yourself. But why? Caspian can do it for $80. Why chance ruining a $500+ frame.

I got to looking at Zak Smith's Ti commander. Ti Commander Ive been thinking about getting a single stack carry/home defense gun .

- Chambering it in 40S&W instead of 45ACP. I think 40 is the way to go.  I don't    see any reason to go back in technology.  I think the 40 can do everything the 45 could do and more.

What do you guys think?

If it's a single-stack, .40 is not the way to go. Look for our hosts post about what runs most reliably in 1911 designs --- the single-stack .45ACP was in first, followed by the .40 in doublestack configuration, followed by the other two.....

Do you really want to settle for third or fourth most reliable?

A .40 single stack takes a little tweaking to get to run reliably with factory ammo...who knows you might get lucky..I have seen some .40s run...other not run..

.45 or 9x23 would be my choice for a self-defense gun..just for the reliability aspect...

Ti. is a little lighter than steel..there is been some discussion on how to finish it..

the material is tough on files and bits...if you do it by hand..you are going to have very sore fingers..

would suggest have caspian or egw mill it for ya

for more info..might look at the 1911forum..or louderthanwords..there have been a couple of pistolsmiths building Ti gun..john harrison and Ted Yost are a couple..

Hi guys.

It is easy to screw up a Ti frame, either by embedding lapping material in the slide rails or by improperly filing/machining/cutting the material itself (which acts different than steel or aluminum). Unless you don't mind a $300 failed experiment, it's probably best to have somebody with a track record building Ti frames up do it for you.

In a single stack, does 40SW loaded "Long" like we do in our SV/STI's work as well? How about 10mm?

For a defensive gun, it might make sense to stay in a readily available caliber with a good choice of defensive ammo compatible with the gun (ie, NOT loaded long).. e.g. 45ACP. 9x23 factory is hard to come by.

Not sure how much you've shot a single stack, but a lot of grip on the frontstrap is not really required. My Ti Commander just has vertical serrations, and my Gov't has a plain frontstrap. Grip there has never been a problem.

If I were to build a home defense / large gun again, it would definitely be a SV/STI short dustcover without a magwell, & fixed sights. At the pistol fighting class I took this last weekend, the 20+1 capacity of my limited gun gained criticisms for being a gamer, but I was putting more rounds on target faster than most.

For carry, I like minimal bulk, so that means singlestack without a rail.

-z

I currently have a G35 for home defense but its a little to big for a carry gun.

Glock makes that gun in three sizes smaller (and one larger). You could keep the same gear and be familiar with it already. They all come with a rail. You know it will run. If you ever manage to break it, parts are everywhere (or, for the money, just buy another).

Hi guys.

If I were to build a home defense / large gun again, it would definitely be a SV/STI short dustcover without a magwell, & fixed sights.  At the pistol fighting class I took this last weekend, the 20+1 capacity of my limited gun gained criticisms for being a gamer, but I was putting more rounds on target faster than most.

-z

Zak, you mean like one of THEEEEZE??? B) Mall Ninja Extremo UP!!!

post-551-1115672066_thumb.jpg

I currently have a G35 for home defense but its a little to big for a carry gun.

Glock makes that gun in three sizes smaller (and one larger). You could keep the same gear and be familiar with it already. They all come with a rail. You know it will run. If you ever manage to break it, parts are everywhere (or, for the money, just buy another).

.......except for the smallest size --- the G27s are railless.....

You can take your old single stack and silver solder on a rail, I think caspain is where I bought my from. My my beside gun has light! Rail was only $30.00 M3 light was $99 but fits all my rifles also.

Well first of all, im not planning on building it myself, I have a good smith that will be doing the work. BOB MARVEL CUSTOM PISTOLS is doing the work and garentees that he can get a single stack 40 to run 100% w/ factory ammo.

Flex: Im shooting a STI open gun, alot. So thats the trigger im most familier w/. Ive looked at a the STI highcap 40. It would be fine for home defense, but wouldnt make a good carry gun. I live in one of the states that dosent have legal concealed carry. I need something that would be slim enough to carry in some of the crappy parts of town.

a gun w/o a light rail would be a little slimer, but i want the rail for the X200 i just bought.

Oops! I thought everybody had an old slab side laying around collecting dust. Wait till you try and find a holster for one with light. Safarland has one but wants way too much, just to be called tactical.

Wait till you try and find a holster for one with light.

Blade Tech will custom make a holster for what ever gun you have. Even if they didnt its not that hard to take a heat gun to the commander holster that i already have.

Tell me more, do you think there is enough plastic on standard holster to make it around the light. No sure the light could take the heat of forming the holster.

I thought you ment for the gun w/o the light. Ive already spoken to Blade tech on the holster for the gun. It will cost about $10 more to make it to fit the gun. Im not really looking for a holster that will accept the gun w/ the light mounted. Ill prob go with an inside the pants holster and carry the light on my belt to mount after i draw the gun.