Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Mentality

Shooter Grrl

After last Monday's first (of seven) match sessions--where I frankly rediscovered my weak areas --I made a short list of firing exercises to practice today and did them. The best way to turn these 'negative' little 'weak areas' around was to work them away through diligent and mindful drills and practices. Merely performing these drills implied positive progress. Today's practice session was truly a work session. And those ALWAYS bring positive results. There was no 'play' on the range today.

Importantly, I'm not afraid to identify and face my 'weak' spots. I'll never be a decent shooter by avoiding them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always practice everything. Winners practice what they don't like to do in order to become an expert.

Its like basketball. If you get proficient at left handed dribbling then suddenly you are the starting point guard. Works with strong/weak hand shooting etc.

I'll take both(!).

I may be working hard at this or that drill to eradicate weaknesses but seem to have no problem at all with prone shooting (whereas some other folks I know are). Years ago when I still had my physical thing together, my bellydancing instructor said my best work was (what we called) floorwork. I wonder if there's a correlation...?

While unfortunately not belly-dancing related, I shot the Paper & Iron match this weekend, and if you'd asked me how I was doing right up until the end I'd have said "maybe OK".  I had some bobbled reloads on the steel stages, makeup shots, and so on.  But, when the results came out I won top-A.

On the way home (300 miles :() I started thinking... A while back I noticed that I can no longer tell time when shooting-- what time I think has passed has no relation to what the timer says.

This morning I saw some videos of the match-- what felt like an eon trying to get a magazine turned around the right direction to go into the gun didn't cost me near as much as it seemed.  

So, while I'm shooting, I'm also noticing all the things I'm not doing cleanly, and thus think "I'm not shooting well".

I was chit-chatting about all this over the weekend with an experienced shooter and he said, "It's the buzzer." Meaning that as soon as we're pressured by a performance time constraint we lose our little Zen-y principles (to varying degrees depending upon experience) and freak too easily. He said it takes about three years to get over it. I said, "Stewart, I don't have three years let alone three months, even. I have about three days!!! (both LOL'd)

So... I have to go out and mortify myself (have a good time) again tonight at league action. Wish me luck.