Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading rear to front

SlvrDragon50

This came up as a result of me messing up a finger on my hand making it tender to the touch, but does anyone reload from the rearmost pouch towards the front? 

I found that it seemed to work relatively well since clearing mags from the rear makes more room to grab the next mag in front allowing you to put your mags closer together. Don't know if this is true for a bullets forward config, but it seemed to work for bullets out.

Otherwise, I think I need to put more space between my pouches because my middle finger is getting caught.

It definitely doesn't work for me. I find that you have to reach down, overshoot beyond the rearmost magazine, then reverse directions and come back forwards to grasp it. With conventional loading, as you reach down, the magazine itself provides the hand-stop so don't waste any additional motion.

It also is a bit of a strain on my shoulder, but maybe yours is more flexible?

Grabbing from the front provides the same benefit of clearing the mag and making room for the next grab. It's just reversed.

Just run a bunch of different configurations on a timer and see what's actually faster. Although if you're biomechanically/medically limited, then obviously choose the one that's most comfortable and enjoyable.

6 hours ago, ClangClang said:

It definitely doesn't work for me. I find that you have to reach down, overshoot beyond the rearmost magazine, then reverse directions and come back forwards to grasp it. With conventional loading, as you reach down, the magazine itself provides the hand-stop so don't waste any additional motion.

It also is a bit of a strain on my shoulder, but maybe yours is more flexible?

Grabbing from the front provides the same benefit of clearing the mag and making room for the next grab. It's just reversed.

Just run a bunch of different configurations on a timer and see what's actually faster. Although if you're biomechanically/medically limited, then obviously choose the one that's most comfortable and enjoyable.

40 minutes ago, GOF said:

Same here. The hand goes to the same place each time and the movement to sweep back until a mag is contacted is the same for all reloads. Easy muscle memory for me.

I'm with them. That is also the same reasoning behind the really horizontally mounted magazines on Limited and Open belts, because it is more anatomically correct with your wrist, and you can just keep sweeping your hand until you hit the next mag.

Okay, now that I'm reading what you guys are doing, I'm clearly reloading incorrectly haha.

I think I was just trying to use muscle memory and go directly to the mag which resulted in my grabbing the 2nd mag rather than the 1st mag. I think I might need to increase some spacing as well though.

• 3 weeks later...

I grab from the front to the back as I have had problems accidentally knocking out other magazines if I grab from any other place without looking. One thing I have found that helped a lot was I played around with my mag pouches until I found where my hand naturally dropped down to grab the first magazine then indexing the remaining magazines backwards from that point.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely front to back for me. No sense in passing over 2 or 3 mags to get the last one. Might as well grab the nearest one possible to get the reload done and get back to shooting.