Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have experience with ratchet rifling

MikeP6363

I see a lot of talk about ratchet rifling and I was wondering if it was worth the extra money. I see that Shilen is making a ratchet barrel so its backed by a good name. Do any of you guys have any first hand experience with it thanks. Oh and im going to put in on an "SPR" style build.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have some experience with them -- currently shoot barrels by Shilen, McGowan, Douglass, Brux, Krieger, CBI, and a few others in that realm.  One of the shilen's is the Ratchet rifling, in 6mm bore (243 win).  It shoots as good or better than about any other barrel I've owned (low .2moa all day), which could be a lot of things so take it with a grain of salt.  What it does for sure is clean up easier than any barrel I've ever owned, and I'm putting a healthy dose of 48ish grains of RL 25 down the bore each shot with a 105 Berger VLD.  Never has copper fouling and patches out noticeably faster than anything else I shoot.  It would be high on my list for any new build, and if I got another Shilen in a caliber they had it available in I'd get it for sure.