Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 out to 600 yards

Tmcfarland

The good news is that you're already shooting much better than most of the potatoes you'll find at your local range - and you're just getting started! The bad news is that improvements will be much smaller from here on out.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I appreciate that! I know it can get better as I improve my technique. I was very satisfied with the readouts of the load and I have all of the input from here to thank for that, you guys have taught/given me a ton of good advice. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Made it through the match, all the load building paid off and I hit the 620 yard shot after about 15 rounds. 18 x 24 steel on a MGM T-post hanging by a piece of 4" fire hose. Problem was a 25mph 2:30 wind and a twisting target. At least I hit it, that's all that matters right? What really had me thinking was the 180 yard slug shot and the 130 yard pistol shots! All hits but it sure got inside my head before doing them.

1 minute ago, Tmcfarland said:

Made it through the match, all the load building paid off and I hit the 620 yard shot after about 15 rounds. 18 x 24 steel on a MGM T-post hanging by a piece of 4" fire hose. Problem was a 25mph 2:30 wind and a twisting target. At least I hit it, that's all that matters right? What really had me thinking was the 180 yard slug shot and the 130 yard pistol shots! All hits but it sure got inside my head before doing them.

Dude I thought about you as soon as the stage descriptions came out. The first thing in my head after reading stage 1 was "thank God that guy didn't listen to me and kept developing his long range load." Glad to hear you got a hit on it.

That was our first stage of the match and halfway through my first mag, my rifle completely seized up and wouldn't budge. I had to sling it and shoot the pistol and shotgun targets. Wound up timing out and didn't even take a shot on the 620. I think that was karma kicking me in the butt. I put a screwdriver blade on one of the locking lugs and hammered the bolt forward so I could take the gun apart. Pulled the BCG out and there was a loose primer wedged under the gas key by the cam pin. Just bad luck. 

Awesome match though. I'm beat up and sore and can't wait for next year!

It was the best match I have competed to date, definitely going to push some of the design on my local club, they will probably bitch about it though haha.
Sorry to hear that on your rifle, all my equipment ran great for once, I was the issue here. These old knees just about had enough by the end though and definitely coming back next year for more abuse

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, Jonesy60 said:

I’ve been shooting AR at 600 yards 

my recommended load is 

25 grains H4895

69 grain Sierra HPBT 

im getting 2inch groups at 600 yards. 

How many rds. are  you shooting for a group?

On 6/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, dmshozer1 said:

That's what I was thinking,

God bless that rifle if it will do that with any kind of consistency.

I don't know his load, but it blows my little punkass, load right out the water.  I have twice the BC of his bullet. I can hit a 10 inch steel at 600 and am very happy with that.

Edited by usmc1974