Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 out to 600 yards

Tmcfarland

Going to start working up a load for my AR to shoot out to 600 yards. Currently going to start with Hornady 68 grain HPBT projectiles and 3 different powders that I have. 1st powder and what I have been using mostly for 3 gun loads is CFE223, 2nd powder will AR Comp and 3rd powder is Varget. Now I have heard praise after praise about Varget but have never used it (wasn't available to start with locally) so I am anxious to get something worked up with that. A buddy of mine uses AR Comp so I got some of that to try out as well. CFE223 has been my go to so far because it is very available locally and has worked out great so I am also anxious to see how it does at the longer shots. 

Anyone willing to share some tried and true data they have worked out? Have manuals and planning to start middle ground with all powders and work from that point so really just looking for success stories but any information is always appreciated.

Picture for interest

View-through-the-Vortex-Razor-HD-at-750-yards-Targest-at-1000-yards-can-be-seen-to-the-left-SUGGESTED-POST-COVER-PHOTO.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few different charges of Tac and 8208 XBR. Didn't mess with seating length because I couldn't consistently get under 2.5 MOA so I cut my losses and moved on. And 2.5 MOA at 100yds turned into 5+ MOA at 300yds...

Edited by TonytheTiger

I haven't worked-up a Hornady 68gr load, but I'm pretty confident that's what Black Hills used in their 68 gr load I used to shoot, and it was very tight shooting for me (consistently sub-.5 moa). I haven't used Varget much in .223 but have had great luck with it in .25 WSSM and .308, if that means anything, and AR-Comp has worked well for me in the one .308 load I tried it out on when I had trouble finding Varget. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A marine gunny sargent gave me a long range load.  It is 24 gr of Reloader 15 with a 75 gr Hornady hollow point match.  We shoot 500 - 600 yds a lot in West Texas while prarie dog hunting.  We shoot 800 yds early before the heat and wind kick up, the mirage makes 800 really tough later in the day.  Prarie dogs become fuzzy specs that shimmer around with heavy mirage.

I've found TAC loads about the same as RL-15.  You can download TAC data for free in a PDF.  

I see Hornady lists CFE & 68gr starting at 22.5 up to 26.3 max.  They also list ARComp and Varget.  

I would work up some 68 gr loads and try it.  Some folks swear by them.  I've tried a few 68 grs before and they did fine for me.  I would find what works for my rifle and go with it.

18 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Right here on BE - just click on "FORUMS" at the top left of your screen.

Then scroll down to the "Reloading" section - and then down to .223.

Two years worth of useful information.   :)

Sorry, I don't know how to provide that as a link.   :(

I am perplexed by this too.

I see General Reloading > Rifle/Shotgun.

I do not see a sub-forum specifically for .223.......am I missing it?

So to add to the conversation; what do you think about using smaller targets to simulate the longer shots? The range I belong to only goes out to 200 yards but desperately need to practice much longer shots for the Hard As Hell Multigun match coming up in a few months. Any pointers I can use to help out here?

Which also ties back into my OP, can I count on my load development at 200 yards to be accurate out to 600+?

Pig you use OCW testing for load development at 100 an 200.    You are pretty much done developing load.

smaller targets will help a "bit " for simulating longer distances.  Sight picture, breathing,shot control.......

you will not have true dope for further distances. While ballistics programs will get you close try and get actual dope for longer distances.

smaller target will NOT train you for mirage or wind or scope adjustments. 

i'd try and get some belly time at range that lets you shoot longer distances.

any errors become exponentially larger at longer distances

I'd spend some time on precision rifle forum/s, 

What are you using for elevation device,.  Rice / sand sock?  Bipod or bags? 

15 hours ago, biglou13 said:

What are you using for elevation device,.  Rice / sand sock?  Bipod or bags? 

LOL well just whatever is placed in the stage. I do not have anything specifically made for this. I usually use my range bag at 200, at the local matches about 110 is all we have to go to and we use whatever we can lean on. I have not really spent much time at all shooting long distance, actually none. 200 yards is as far as I have ever had the opportunity to do. 

also wanted to mention that   most pet loads are rifle specific, and matching bullet weight to twist rate...

what is twist rate of your barrel

All the 600 yard plus  ALL the  shots i've taken have been from prone bi pod, prone bag supported, and from a bench for load development 

i personally use a sock with rice and beans in it, some use poly beads they are known as sand socks, rear bag, even available commercially

basically your non- trigger hand squeezes bag which is under butt stock.  to get sight on target vertically.  

there is a bit of a learning curve in shooting prone precision/ shooting from bi pod/ bag supported

For 3gun beyond 300 yards, I load a 69g Nosler Competition HPBTs at max mag length backed with either 24.2g of TAC or 25.2g RE15. I use sorted LC once fired, minimum head spaced brass which I process on my 1050, both loads push 2875-2900fps out of my 1-8 twist 18 inch barrel and are 1 MOA out to 500 yards confirmed.

TAC is what I use for long range 223 loads under a 75 Hornady or 77 SMK.  It works equally well with the 68 -69 grain bullets. I tried CFE 223 and got decent speeds, but never found a load that that was really accurate out of my rifle.

We push the 223 heavies out pretty far in some local DM and Precision matches. 7-800 is pretty easy once you have good dope and wind holds. This is out of 18" 1-8 twist AR's. The pic is a 600 yd group out of an AR built by Apache Machine.  20" Kreiger 1-7.7" twist, 77 SMK over TAC in LC brass lit by a BR4.

image.jpg

Edited by LSnSC

I'm primarily shooting NRA/CMP service rifle with irons.

AR-COMP is a good powder and I switched over from Varget years ago.  I'm running a Sierra 77gr, 22.4gr AR-COMP, CCI450 primer, LC brass.  Velocity is ~2720 fps.  Great powder, but it's pretty dirty.  I was having to use 24-24.5gr Varget to get similar velocities.

For 600yards I normally shoot Berger 82gr bullets loaded to 2.5" OAL over 23gr AR-COMP, CCI450 primer, LC brass.  This requires single loading, but they shoot really well.  Best score I ever shot at 600 yards was 197-12X with irons using this load.  (X-ring on an NRA MR target is 6" wide)

Edited by nbkky71

Put out a 2.5" x 5" plate at 100 yards this weekend inside one of the stages we ran, trying to simulate that 600 yard shot. It only required one hit as the plate was hanging by wire and wouldn't take two. 3 out of 6 guys hit (me being one) it with one shot, It seemed a little too easy or maybe its that easy to hit a full size at 600. I know wind and just the sheer distance will have a huge impact on the 600 yard target, really wish there was a place around Corpus Christi to reach out there.  

Loaded up 20 rounds 5 each of 23 grains, 24 grains, 25 grains and 26 grains. Seeing now that Hornady was using a 20" barrel for test rifle mine will most likely be slower. Probably starting out around 2500 fps. to about 2800 fps. I see others posting a little bit faster but not going to pull. Will see how these shoot and then dial it in a little closer if needed.