Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 indexing adjustments?

Converted my 1050 from 9mm to .38 Special and now it does not index far enough and feels a bit squishy at the top of the return stroke.  I called Dillon and they told me to adjust the stop but I can't find this in the manual.  Any help on exactly what needs adjusting would be appreciated.  Is it normal to have to adjust the indexing with each caliber change?

at the 11 o clock position on the shell plate, pull the brass keeper and then look at the side of the press under that pin, there is a slot with a set screw in it. that set screw is your adjustment. i dont know about normal with changes as my press is a 1 caliber wonder, but mine wouldnt run out of the box without adjusting this stop. id start by backing the screw out a few turns, and try it, then adjust in a little at a time until it indexes properly.

Lefty,

Thanks that worked perfectly for indexing. 

I had the priming system removed while I was troubleshooting, as soon as I put it back on now the press refuses to cycle the alignment pin seems to be hitting the priming slide, when I manually align the priming slid then the next alignment pin hits.  Any ideas what I have done wrong here?

It sounds like the primer arm/cam assembly is not low enough, where it is clamped around the black steel primer shield. To properly adjust it, pull the handle down on the machine, and manually manipulate the primer slide so the alignment pin goes into the hole. Now, loosen the clamp screw on the primer arm/cam assembly, and slide it down until it bottoms out in the track that the primer slide is in. Now back it up only .010", the thickness of a business card, and snug the clamp screw.

Depending on the age of your 1050, you either have a brass roller on the rear of the primer slide, or a roll pin with a rubber sleeve over it. If you have a roll pin and no rubber sleeve, it has torn off. Go to your local auto parts store, and buy six inches of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. Press it over the exposed roll pin, and slice off the rest. Absence of the rubber sleeve can cause slide movement problems.

Finally, the base of the primer feed body has a vertical notch in it. This notch must face rearward. The primer feed will bolt on facing either direction. Be sure this is oriented correctly.

Thanks Dillon, my problem was solved by adding the .010 clearance on the primer slide.

This freed up my press and it seemed to be working perfectly.  I started loading rounds and I am back to it not indexing the last 1/8-1/16 of an inch.  It does this despite having the stop screw almost completely unscrewed.  Any idea what I have screwed up now?

Thanks again.