Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue w/ Stoeger M3k

mikeyjones

I started having an issue today at a match that I've never experienced before which led to an other issue when I got home.

I have a factory M3K w/ a Nordic +8 extension.  Never had any issues feeding shells before.  Today, when I put 8 or more in the tube, it refused to release the first shell.  So on every stage, I had to pull up on the bolt release then fight the jam that it caused to get it to manually load the first shell.  After that, it ran fine.  I didn't understand what exactly what causing it until I got home.  

When I got home, I loaded some dummy shells to recreate the situation.  If I put 6 in the tube, it runs flawlessly. Releases the first shell onto the carrier without any issue.  As soon as I put 7 or more, things stop working.  I initially thought it was the spring since I never trimmed it and it was about 16" past the end of the tube.  Got out my measuring tape and pliers and trimmed it 5 coils to get it to be ~12" past the end of the tube.  

Still the same thing.  So at this point, I detail stripped the shotgun.  I wanted to examine the carrier latch assembly and possibly try to smooth it out and round it out a bit.  However, I can't get the stupid screw holding the extended bolt release off.  I'm afraid it might already be stripped. I've tried heat, and PB blaster to no avail.  Any secret to getting the carrier latch assembly out?

So as an update, I was able to get the bolt release off with the help of a drill.  I'll retap it and put the extended bolt release on at a later time.  

I tried grinding down the carrier latch a bit, but am still having the same issue.  Is there a Benelli part I can drop in to alleviate this?

Update 2:

I decided to play around w/ the mag spring a bit more this morning.  I trimmed a few more coils off and it's ~9" past the end of the tube and it's running a bit better.  It only intermittently fails to load the first round.  But if I rack the bolt forcefully, it'll release that shell.  

I'm afraid to trim more off the spring for fear it'll stop loading the last round in the tube.  Any other suggestions?

I just bought an M3K but haven't installed an extended tube yet. It seems strange that yours ran fine for awhile. Is it possible you have switched brands of shells? I can't see any reason for the spring to suddenly start binding. Maybe you just need to replace the spring. I just watched a Jesse Tischauser vid where he left 20" of spring beyond the end and it functioned fine. Good luck with it and please continue to post your results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl1JyGzjzUg

Edited by hharle

Cut the spring if you have to, new ones are about $10 bucks. 

I wound up rounding & polishing the shell catch on my M3K; never had an issue with feeding. Are you sure there is no binding or catching on the tube intersection? The stock follower was a PITA at times catching on the junction. Have you put graphite / dry lube into the tube?

4 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

The stock follower was a PITA at times catching on the junction.

^^^^ Are you still using the stock follower?  The one from MOA is only $15 and works much better than the stock piece.

Stock was in when I sold the shotgun - only shooting USPSA now - however, it would catch on occasion. A quick rap with the support hand unstuck the follower. MOA precision makes a nice aluminum  unit for $15.  I'd suggest cutting the spring some more and getting the new follower, it can't hurt.  Spring & Follower from MOA is only $23, cheapest thing you'll ever do to a gun.

I have no affiliation with MOA just hear good stuff about them.

• 3 years later...

Im having the same issues with the stoeger m3k 10+1. It ran 2 full mags flawlessly but then after that i started having problems. Don't know much about tube fed semi auto shotguns so don't know if i was loading it wrong or pressing the wrong button. Seems like its having problems ejecting the first shell after it fires for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Im having the same issues with the stoeger m3k 10+1. It ran 2 full mags flawlessly but then after that i started having problems. Don't know much about tube fed semi auto shotguns so don't know if i was loading it wrong or pressing the wrong button. Seems like its having problems ejecting the first shell after it fires for some reason.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you're seeing? Does "ejecting the first shell" mean problems extracting the spent hull or problems getting the next round out of the tube? If the former, exactly what is happening - a stovepipe-style stoppage where the bolt tries to close on the empty hull, or a complete failure to extract where the spent hull stays in the chamber and you have to manually rack the charging handle to pull it out? I've encountered both.

Edited by Steve133

• 4 weeks later...

Both steve133. I took it home cleaned and oiled it well put dry lube in magazine tube and second outing still having a  unch of issues with it. Ftes,ftfs,stovepipes and etc. Seen some videos where ppl put a benelli extractor .already has an aluminum follower. I'm gonna take it back to where i bought it. They have a gunsmith and gave me a lifetime warranty. Stoeger also has a 5 year warranty. I could probably tinker with it and fix the issue myself but i might as well take advantage of the warranties and hopefully they'll fix it. Sucks cuz i spent alot of money on it and have put more than 200 shells thru it so it should be broken in. My lynx12 runs way better and it was alot cheaper 2