Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 recoil spring weight

Polymer

On 11/19/2018 at 6:53 AM, johnbu said:

If factory rounds are used, i can certainly see cumulative damage occurring.

Hmm, the factory target ammo boxes I have on hand are; 115 Federal listed at 1125 fps for a 129 power factor, 124 Federal listed at 1109 fps for a 137 pf. The listings are based on a 4" barrel so they would exit my stock 2 a little hotter. 

To be safe at the match chrono and just know I am legal otherwise (and not be the first guy who gets hosed when the poppers are out of calibration) I like to be in the 132 - 136 pf range for my reloaded ammo. For 9mm it does not seem like there is a whole lot of difference between factory target ammo power and the match power you need for USPSA.

If the frame damage seen was only on guns that had 6# springs and shot self defense ammo then it seems like USPSA ammo would be very different & very possibly not cause the problem, but I don't think that the self defense ammo is what the folks who are using 6# springs would be shooting. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmm, the factory target ammo boxes I have on hand are; 115 Federal listed at 1125 fps for a 129 power factor, 124 Federal listed at 1109 fps for a 137 pf. The listings are based on a 4" barrel so they would exit my stock 2 a little hotter. 

To be safe at the match chrono and just know I am legal otherwise (and not be the first guy who gets hosed when the poppers are out of calibration) I like to be in the 132 - 136 pf range for my reloaded ammo. For 9mm it does not seem like there is a whole lot of difference between factory target ammo power and the match power you need for USPSA.

If the frame damage seen was only on guns that had 6# springs and shot self defense ammo then it seems like USPSA ammo would be very different & very possibly not cause the problem, but I don't think that the self defense ammo is what the folks who are using 6# springs would be shooting. 

Here is the link from Hennings website, with recommended spring for each PF.

Henning knows his s#!t and to me, damaged frames could be a bunch of other things too besides the ammo, lots of bubba gunsmiths out there.

http://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1284664

"Recommendations are for long slides and are labeled accordingly,"

I've run across this before (6# OK for longslides), I haven't seen someone like Hennings say they are ok for standard slide length guns like the stock 2 though. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

"Recommendations are for long slides and are labeled accordingly,"

I've run across this before (6# OK for longslides), I haven't seen someone like Hennings say they are ok for standard slide length guns like the stock 2 though. 

By cutting and pasting that portion of the text you are taking it out of context.

I would encourage you to copy and paste the whole thing, as you will confuse people otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Avenida said:

By cutting and pasting that portion of the text you are taking it out of context.

I would encourage you to copy and paste the whole thing, as you will confuse people otherwise.

Ok. Seems straightforward though. 

Wolff Gunsprings is the absolute leader in recoil springs and my first choice when upgrading EAA Witness / Tanfoglios. Recommendations are for long slides and are labeled accordingly, with a bonus firing pin spring inside.  Recoil springs are compatible with standard slides:  using a long slide recoil spring in a standard slide adds 2lbs pressure.  (If you have a Steel/Poly Compact model, these recoil springs will not fit.  Wolff does not yet have a recoil spring for the compact.)

Wolff marks all the springs with 9mm long slide, but they work with all calibers. The spring weight dictates what caliber/type of ammo you’re shooting.  If you’re running a 10mm with a standard length slide, 16lb, 18lb or 20lb is the typical choice.  There’s no need to cut the spring and it’s not meant to.  The Wolff springs have a different length than the factory spring, because the coil diameter (not coil length) regulates the recoil.

For 9mm we suggest 6lb or 8lb recoil spring. (lighter than factory; makes for faster target acquisition)
For 40 S&W we suggest 10lb or 12lb recoil spring
For 45 ACP we suggest 12lb, 14lb or 16lb recoil spring
For 10mm we suggest 16lb, 18lb or 20lb recoil spring

Are you using steel loads and major loads?  What works best varies on your individual gun caliber/setup and loads. I suggest trying different springs to see what functions best in your gun with your load and what feels best for you. I do not recommend less than 10lb springs for major loads!

Wolff 6lb Recoil Spring (all caliber: 120 - 140 power factor, light 9mm loads)
Wolff 8lb Recoil Spring (all caliber: 140 - 160 power factor, typical 9mm spring)
Wolff 10lb Recoil Spring (typical 9, 38, 40, 45 caliber major loads in 160 -180 power factor)
Wolff 12lb Recoil Spring (major loads 180 - 200 power factor, 40 S&W, 45 ACP)
Wolff 14lb Recoil Spring (45 ACP)
Wolff 16lb Recoil Spring (Heavy 45 ACP, 10mm )
Wolff 18lb Recoil Spring (Heavy 10mm)
Wolff 20lb Recoil Spring (Heavy 10mm)

I like the Henning Products. He's also a real good person.

However, in my experience,  standard length springs should ALWAYS be used in std length guns like the S2. They do come in long and standard for a reason. Yes, at lower weight, the LS versions are about 2# heavier than listed. But, at 9# and above that linearity does not hold.

And there is a great probability of reaching coil bind and short stroking.

I trim LS to equal standard lengths.

Your milage may vary (as the guns vary).  Just one more thing to keep in mind.