Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 recoil spring weight

Polymer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Anybody have a good way to mirror polish the breech face?

Strip the slide out bare.

Use felt cone tip polishing bits in your dremel with blue magic compound.  i also use tiny felt wheel dremel bits (size of a quarter) bought at harbor freight.

While you're at it, chuck up a 22cal patch rod in a drill and polish the firing pin channel and the firing pin block hole. 

Edited by johnbu

40 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Strip the slide out bare.

Use felt cone tip polishing bits in your dremel with blue magic compound.  i also use tiny felt wheel dremel bits (size of a quarter) bought at harbor freight.

While you're at it, chuck up a 22cal patch rod in a drill and polish the firing pin channel and the firing pin block hole. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 4:34 PM, waktasz said:

10, but I have some of the Unica variable light and medium springs coming to me from France to try. 

I totally gipped him on the Unica spring delivery. I'm using them myself, and I like the "light" one the best in both minor and major PF long slide guns. They are too long to work well in the short slide guns. There are also "medium" and "hard" springs.

I don't know exact weights because I don't have a spring tester.

My thoughts will come in a later video,  after a grips roundup and some general stuff. I asked Eric Stauffer about them and he does plan to carry them bit warned me they wear out quickly.

I prefer a 6 lb long slide spring in my Stock 2s. That is the same as the 8lb long slide spring. 

27 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I prefer a 6 lb long slide spring in my Stock 2s. That is the same as the 8lb long slide spring. 

If you measure the wire diameter of the 6# long slide and the 8# std you will find they are not the same. At least the ones i measured were different!

As you said, the long slide springs will coil bind in the std length slides. I found only the 6 and 7 LS springs can be used reliably in std slide guns. 8# LS springs sometimes work, sometimes not.  

5 minutes ago, johnbu said:

If you measure the wire diameter of the 6# long slide and the 8# std you will find they are not the same. At least the ones i measured were different!

As you said, the long slide springs will coil bind in the std length slides. I found only the 6 and 7 LS springs can be used reliably in std slide guns. 8# LS springs sometimes work, sometimes not.  

Just quoting what Henning told me. I got my springs from him and they said 6lb long slide.

The progressive Unica springs are longer than the Wolff springs. They work in short slide guns, but compress so much that it makes dropping the slide when locked open quite difficult. 

Edited by Twinkie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently changed my speings to #6 following Hennings recommendation.

run the #10 before that

wow what a difference, fasterdouble taps and tighter groups! 

Also tried #8 and worked great but for me and my ammo #6 is the catZ.

competition on sunday!! Woohoo

On 9/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, Twinkie said:

I totally gipped him on the Unica spring delivery. I'm using them myself, and I like the "light" one the best in both minor and major PF long slide guns. They are too long to work well in the short slide guns. There are also "medium" and "hard" springs.

I don't know exact weights because I don't have a spring tester.

My thoughts will come in a later video,  after a grips roundup and some general stuff. I asked Eric Stauffer about them and he does plan to carry them bit warned me they wear out quickly.

It is my undersanding that all ‘wolff’ springs are marked long slide.

i only shoot AUS tanfos so always got these and Hennings site says they all say long slide.

1 hour ago, Avenida said:

Recently changed my speings to #6 following Hennings recommendation.

run the #10 before that

wow what a difference, fasterdouble taps and tighter groups! 

Also tried #8 and worked great but for me and my ammo #6 is the catZ.

competition on sunday!! Woohoo

6# Long Slide ???? or ....??

On 11/16/2018 at 7:47 AM, Avenida said:

""

It is my undersanding that all ‘wolff’ springs are marked long slide.

i only shoot AUS tanfos so always got these and Hennings site says they all say long slide.

They are NOT.  There is long slide and standard.  The low poundage long springs are close to 2# heavier when used in a standard gun.  BUT around the 8# level, they may coil bind and cause short stroking and a whole swath of freaky problems. 

I use 6# recoil spring with a coil cut.  The cut side goes into the cup.  I found that weight to be the flattest when filmed from the side running a bill drill / mag dump.  But that is contingent on the bullet weight, loading, grip, stance, etc etc etc.  as well as personal preference.  

"Springs are cheap, buy a large selection and experiment"

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

They are NOT.  There is long slide and standard.  The low poundage long springs are close to 2# heavier when used in a standard gun.  BUT around the 8# level, they may coil bind and cause short stroking and a whole swath of freaky problems. 

I use 6# recoil spring with a coil cut.  The cut side goes into the cup.  I found that weight to be the flattest when filmed from the side running a bill drill / mag dump.  But that is contingent on the bullet weight, loading, grip, stance, etc etc etc.  as well as personal preference.  

Thanks John!
I am running a 6lbs on a AUS and it truly makes the gun shine for me. HUGE improvement from the 10 lbs... and I was skeptical of the whole recoil spring thing.

I check springs in action with the camera and it shows (for me) the lighter spring is flatter. And with a decent rail polish, the splits are still fast.

There is a 2nd "test".  back off to 3 yards. Aim at the actual letter A. Rip off a pair as fast as you can. Do that 5-10 times. Record the location and separation (makes you feel all science-like) of the 1st and second hit.  the position of the 2nd hit tells the tail.  2nd low = spring too strong. 2nd high = spring too weak.

That test is hard to actually do and not pause slightly to correct the aim. So track the split time too. 

For me, the gun running fast and flat really helps with confidence and shot calling.

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

I check springs in action with the camera and it shows (for me) the lighter spring is flatter. And with a decent rail polish, the splits are still fast.

There is a 2nd "test".  back off to 3 yards. Aim at the actual letter A. Rip off a pair as fast as you can. Do that 5-10 times. Record the location and separation (makes you feel all science-like) of the 1st and second hit.  the position of the 2nd hit tells the tail.  2nd low = spring too strong. 2nd high = spring too weak.

That test is hard to actually do and not pause slightly to correct the aim. So track the split time too. 

For me, the gun running fast and flat really helps with confidence and shot calling.

will try

17 hours ago, johnbu said:

I really loved the feel of a cut 6#, but then I read the thread below where PD cautions about seeing several damaged guns that had used that light of a spring, and I got paranoid. 

26 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I really loved the feel of a cut 6#, but then I read the thread below where PD cautions about seeing several damaged guns that had used that light of a spring, and I got paranoid.  

Joe's concern is valid. But,  imho, the risk is minimal if using true soft loaded rounds, a cone fit guide rod and set up correctly.

If factory rounds are used, i can certainly see cumulative damage occurring. Remember, these guns are set up to "CIP" standards for the hotter nato rounds. (Which is why we need to throat the barrels to run SAAMI spec rounds).  those lighter, hotter rounds need a stronger spring.

A "fix" is to stroke the slide and add a buffer. But that adds cost and complexity, neither  are popular!

I've been running 6# in my 9's and 10 in major 40 or 8 in minor 40.  guns are 2015 vintage and still running strong. Obviously, with the olde world charm these guns have, your experience may be different! And the shooter's skill level will give different  results.