Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 recoil spring weight

Polymer

1 hour ago, JP221 said:

Hammer spring would definitely play into it.  I wouldn't want a gun that was sluggish because I would feel like I'm waiting on the gun to cycle.  I have a 15.5 hammer spring in my gun because I have tons of CCI primers and the trigger is at 6.5lb/2lb, which is light enough for me.  I grip the gun really hard and liked how the sights track.

Double taps mean a lot of different things to different people.  I'm assuming you mean one sight picture and slapping the trigger 2 times?  Try a bill drill and see what the sights do when you hold the gun really hard.

I see, thanks for your input! Ill keep those in mind when i try testing different configurations. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JP221 said:

Do you mean it feels like it's hanging up?  Does it run more smoothly with a 10?

With a stiffer spring (am limited in springs to play with at the moment but will fix that as PD gets back on its feet post flood) everything feels smooth and consistent, no worries. For the moment I'm using a CZ spring which is slightly longer & rated at 10#, so at correct length it would be equivalent to something like a 12# perhaps. 

With the 9, it feels as if their is a point where it sort of hangs up about 1 round per dozen, perhaps as the barrel is camming up or as the slide is contacting the round in the top of the magazine. Am loading 147 sns tc at 1.15 (another poster on this thread is using same bullet at 1.145) and getting very consistent oal. 

Wondering about the fitment of the gun, and also curious about the stiffness of the magazine springs. Am used to CZ's & Glocks and those magazines are a heck of a lot easier to load by hand. 

Worst case is the gun works fine with a stiffer spring, but it would be nice to be able to play with some of the lower weight slide springs others are using. 

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmm, when I try to run a 9# I can occasionally feel sort of a ca-chunk at about the point where the slide contacts the round in the magazine. 

Thoughts?

Have you beveled and polished the front edge of the slide where it picks up the next round from the mag?  On one of mine, that edge was sharp and it was grabbing so hard on the round in the mag that it was pulling it out of the mag and jamming it up against the round that was trying to be chambered.

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

Have you beveled and polished the front edge of the slide where it picks up the next round from the mag?  On one of mine, that edge was sharp and it was grabbing so hard on the round in the mag that it was pulling it out of the mag and jamming it up against the round that was trying to be chambered.

Only very cautiously, will look at again. Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I've been running 6# long slide springs (trimmed to length of a normal 8#) in two S2's.

Both have had a fairly decent polish of the rails and chamber face.  They run flat-ish.

Woah im impressed. Cant wait for my #6 to arrive. May I ask what Hammer spring youre using? One thing im worried about is the slide ramming up onto the frame too hard.

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I run a 9 lb in my SII. I have a good polish and all the PD goodies. I've tried an 8 lb many times. It runs good when the gun is cleaned and lubed. It starts to "cha-chunk" after several rounds. Feels good up until that point.

Same here, ran the 8 for quite a while and during a longish practice session (500+ rounds) I'd start getting occasional slow moving slide issues toward the end, no actual malfunctions just some returns where it felt like I was literally watching the slide return because it was so slow.  

2 hours ago, insicnarf said:

Woah im impressed. Cant wait for my #6 to arrive. May I ask what Hammer spring youre using? One thing im worried about is the slide ramming up onto the frame too hard.

I use a PD15.5 hammer spring.

There's another variable here: what bullet weight are all of you shooting? The difference in feel and/or perceived slide velocity between a 147 and a 124 is night and day.

You can barely, barely feel the difference in recoil in these heavy guns. I found after a case of each weight that I preferred 124s specifically to make the cycling of the gun feel less sluggish with an 8# recoil and 15.5# hammer.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There's another variable here: what bullet weight are all of you shooting? The difference in feel and/or perceived slide velocity between a 147 and a 124 is night and day.

You can barely, barely feel the difference in recoil in these heavy guns. I found after a case of each weight that I preferred 124s specifically to make the cycling of the gun feel less sluggish with an 8# recoil and 15.5# hammer.

Good point, I'm running 147gr at 136PF.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:44 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Just buy the longslide spring from Ben's pro shop and trim it to match your current spring's length. If it's even any longer. They usually aren't.

But isnt the longslide #6 going to be #8 on fullsize? I dont understand how the conversion works.

1 hour ago, insicnarf said:

But isnt the longslide #6 going to be #8 on fullsize? I dont understand how the conversion works.

Trim the LS6 to the same length as the full size 8.

The "conversion" only works for a few spring weights.  over 8# LS may in fact coil bind and not allow full cycling in a full size. When i was playing with springs i found short cycling with LS springs in a s2.

4 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Trim the LS6 to the same length as the full size 8.

The "conversion" only works for a few spring weights.  over 8# LS may in fact coil bind and not allow full cycling in a full size. When i was playing with springs i found short cycling with LS springs in a s2.

Ohh thanks for the clarification. Cant wait to try it, i doubt ill have as good as recoil control than the one you showed on your video though 

FWIW. When I built up my 2 S2's I  ordered 6,8,9,&10 lb springs. I tried them all now I have a 8 lb in one gun and the 9 lb in the other. When I need to replace the springs I'll go with the 8 lb. I wasn't going to order another 8 lb when the 9 lb really felt the same. I run the 10 lb hammer spring. If you run a heavier hammer spring you might get away with a lighter recoil spring.  

Edited by mjmagee67

On 9/1/2017 at 6:17 PM, zombywoof said:

I run a 9 lb in my SII. I have a good polish and all the PD goodies. I've tried an 8 lb many times. It runs good when the gun is cleaned and lubed. It starts to "cha-chunk" after several rounds. Feels good up until that point.

Hmmm, starting to wonder a bit about extractor tuning on mine. Seems like it takes a good bit of force to get the round fully up into the slide and my assumption is that additional force is required after some crud develops in that area.

Anybody played with optimal extractor tuning? Maybe filing a smidge on the contact surface with rim of case, or fiddling with the extractor spring? 

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmmm, starting to wonder a bit about extractor tuning on mine. Seems like it takes a good bit of force to get the round fully up into the slide and my assumption is that additional force is required after some crud develops in that area.

Anybody played with optimal extractor tuning? Maybe filing a smidge on the contact surface with rim of case, or fiddling with the extractor spring? 

Are you running the stock extractor spring or the Wolff extra power spring?

14 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Does this change performance in a noticeable way? Extraction seems flawless on my gun. 

No performance change,  done strictly as a reliability enhancement.  history showed 15k was where the factory spring becomes suspect. The wolff has a 3-4x longer life expectation. For the low price, it seemed like a wise thing to do.

On 9/4/2017 at 5:31 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I did/do the following to keep everything reliable:
1. Polished the contact points of the extractor (approximately half), as well as running the extra power spring
2. Clean the crud out near the extractor after every match/range trip

3. After 250-350 rounds i do feel like all the crud buildup interferes with the trigger action and the feeding action so i always bring an action blaster/degreaser and re-lubricate everything afterwards

I can proudly say ive never had any feeding/extraction problems

No performance change,  done strictly as a reliability enhancement.  history showed 15k was where the factory spring becomes suspect. The wolff has a 3-4x longer life expectation. For the low price, it seemed like a wise thing to do.

What hammer spring are you running?

Currently I'm running 8# recoil springs and 10lb hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk